Current Page: 1 of 2
Who in recent times ........
Posted by: Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 17:28

.......do you think has had the most impact on the squad when coming in?

Im gonna go for Captain Fantastic Dean Mumm......he bought something very special I think.

I drink and forget stuff!

Re: Who in recent times ........
Posted by: Chief Fire Water (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 17:59

Geoff Parling for me

Posted by: big chopper (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 18:25

Another one in the Geoff Parling camp here

Posted by: Black Hawk (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 18:39

Thomas Waldrom

Posted by: CullyChief (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 18:41

Geoff Parling just, close call between him and Thomas the Tank.
Back before those two when we had a team of genuine blokes who somehow added up to more than the sum of their parts, Jason Shoemark arrived and added a real touch of class.

Edited for spelling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2020 16:06 by CullyChief.

Posted by: Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 18:50

Good shouts .....I did think Waldron or Parling.....I opted for Dean because I see him as the cog that got us moving forward .

I drink and forget stuff!

Posted by: ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 18:51

Waldrom definitely took us up a level!

Posted by: Running Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 19:43

Nemani Nadolo. Albeit very briefly. Just imagine if hed stuck around.

Posted by: Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2020 10:44

Jason Shoemark and Sireli for me, they were the glue that held a fledgling Premiership team together in our first season. Jason marshalled the defence and Sireli just ran over the opposition for fun!

Posted by: ouch!_that_hurts (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2020 12:19

I think different players made different impacts so it's hard to identify one:

Thomas the Tank's impact was very noticeable because he was scoring tries, whereas Geoff's impact was more about experience and nous, particularly in the lineout.

Deano brought leadership and some Aussie 'grit'. Similarly people like Greg Holmes, Dave Dennis and Nic White brought experience that will probably have an impact over a few years because of its effect on the younger players they've worked with.

Recently, I'd say Vermeulen - he seems to have a fantastic engine, runs hard, tackles hard and is just a plain nuisance to the opposition.

Posted by: minuteman (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2020 16:50

I think Dean Mumm added some instant kudos where potential players thought if its good enough for him then its good enough for me .. the Aussie connection has worked well for us .
But Geoff Parling was it imho .. could have picked any club in the world but chose us .

Posted by: cornwallchief (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2020 17:18

Geoff Parling for me but a strong voice for Jack Yendle who always gives 110% comes off the field battered, and must be a great motivator judging by the team ethic in evidence week by week. Without a great club captain that would not be there. The latest contender Sam Simmonds.

Posted by: cornwallchief (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2020 17:21

A great thread JS - something to read and think and delight in.

Posted by: Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2020 20:56

The loan signing ( albeit short) of Peter Kimlin from Australia was a pivotal moment I think. Opened the door for us with alot of top clubs and players. Sort of announced that something was happening here.

Posted by: andy15 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2020 22:25

For me the person who brought international quality to a club findings its way on limited spending compared to others was the fantastic Dean Mumm. Helped the club become truly established in the top flight and captained us to gain our first silverware. 53 prem appearances and 40 points.

A close second TTT 80 prem appearances and 205 points bringing a new dimension to our attack.

Both hugely influential in our clubs growth and success now rightly Exeter rugby legends.

Posted by: Axe Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 14:12

Lowerwatha you beat me to posting the same.
In their time Mumm, Waldron and Parling brought important contributions to the development of the club and players, and of course revived all their own careers( when you look at Tank's massively, and he did a lot more than score tries!)
But for me if you have to pick one individual Shoemark came at critical time in our development. He was never a standout player to watch, didn't score many tries, wasn't particularly quick, but sealed the hole in our defence that we gained promotion with. Our promotion backs obviously did well to get us up, but they often looked soft and leaked tries. Along with Sireli he made sure we were never a soft touch which too many the promoted teams were.

Posted by: chief in exile (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 15:45

Jason Shoemark. Good quality super 14 player that gave us an option at 12 and 13 if needed where we didnt have much. Never let us down and gave us leadership in a position where we had little.

Posted by: Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 17:45

Still stick with my original choice of Jason and Sireli but players like Waldron, Parling and Salvi bought big game Premiership experience and showed we could attract big name players to Exeter.

One of the better threads of late JS, giving subscribers of this site an opportunity to reminisce on past great times and get the juices flowing for when can watch our team again, we have signed some exciting players during the lockdown and I cannot wait to see how they develop M

Posted by: fisher (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2020 10:01

In the early days I think Jason Shoemark and Dean Munn showed that we could compete at a higher level than previously thought. In later times Waldron and Parling carried on that trend.

Posted by: fisher (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2020 14:47

we should not forget Steeno who never failed to punish the opposition for giving away penalties anywhere on the pitch and has proved to be so durable and reliable in all situations.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net