Chiefs v Glos
Posted by: Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 18:22

21-8 up at HT but have we had to fight!
Fair play to Glos they have not turned up to make up the numbers at all, given us something to think about .If we are smart and use the early minutes of the second half to increase the margin while they are down to 14 we should see the W

Good game

I drink and forget stuff!

Re: Chiefs v Glos
Posted by: Chief Fire Water (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 18:58

Very good game. It will do the boys good to have to work hard for every point.

Posted by: manrow (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 19:01

Anybody else suffering from breakup in the sound and then vision during this game; really annoying?

Posted by: Tribester (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 19:26

35-22

Well played Glaws. Quick line speed, aggressive at the breakdown and never gave up. A proper
test for us.

Plenty for us to work on there, but a five point win and denying them anything, is a great result.

Posted by: Dancing bare (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 19:28

Plenty to work on bit of throwing practice for LCD 5 points with all those mistakes can't moan at that.

Posted by: Severus (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 19:31

Thanks for the kind words about Glaws. Weíre really pleased with what we saw and a much better performance than what weíve come to expect.

Posted by: Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 19:40

That was a really tough test, credit to Glos for pushing us all the way there.
Plenty to keep the coaches working on but a 5 point win is a great result from that game..........and a play off spot!

I drink and forget stuff!

Posted by: Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 19:45

Game seemed to be done and dusted after the Maunder try but we lost our shape when the bench came on. Gloucester were very spirited and did well to still be in with a chance of 2 bonus points at the end!
We did enough to get 5 points but would have struggled against their full on side!

Posted by: Master Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 19:54

Glos played well and made it tough for us. They played at speed, looked to get the ball wide quickly and werenít afraid to vary it up with kicks in behind. Defensively we couldnít cope with it and in attack we werenít organised/ a little rushed. If a full strength Bristol play like that they could tear us apart.

I thought we were quite poor and a few players had some off games. But I canít help but wonder that that should be expected from a team which has played three B teams in a row. Iím nervous that with Sarries and Irish up that our A team wonít get a proper run out against another A team meaning we could go seriously undercooked into the quarter vs Saints.

Posted by: DumnoniiNomad (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 20:14

The yellow card cost Glaws the game.
Edit to remove off thread question. Apologies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2020 19:39 by DumnoniiNomad.

Posted by: Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 20:43

Sarries played a second string side against Sale so I think they will give their first team a run out against us in preparation for their game against Leinster. I reckon a fair few of tonightís squad will play against Sarryon Sunday in preparation for the game against Saints.

Posted by: ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 20:53

Credit to Glaws, they were by far the toughest of our home opponents since the restart. THe half time score certainly flattered us. JOb ultimately done in the second half though. Playoff spot secured. (Sm60)Will be interesting to see what the lineup is vs Sarries on Sunday.

Posted by: Broken arrow (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 21:31

To win with a bonus point and play badly is a plus, everyone has a bad day at the office, Iíd rather it was today than against Saints. Can see us playing a young B/C team at Sarries, itís a bit of a dead rubber and will give some key players time to recover and avoid any injuries.

Posted by: cornwallchief (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 21:37

Glos. played well - their line speed was good as well as their tackling. We got 5 points but there was quite a lot of own goals. I thought LCD injured his left arm and after that his darts were poor. Our driving maul was a great weapon but our pack seemed sometimes a bit lethargic IMO. jack Maunder;s box kicks were too long and often our possession was slow probably due to breakdown interpretation by the ref. The way the breakdown was contested by Glos. was a strength for them. I think we missed Flats. Sounds a bit critical and perhaps what we needed after our recent run. Sarries match not critical to us but any performance like this against likely semi-finalists in the Champions cup we would struggle - always assuming we get by Saints.

Posted by: Big Chief Little Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 22:29

I think that, like me, the players were not expecting that from that Glos side! Great performance from them, full of energy. I was expecting a Worcester type game, as I'm sure were many. Probably a good thing for us to get a wake up call now, not in the CC or the play offs. Easily our worst performance since the restart.

Hope Hogg is OK, he seemed to limp off.

Posted by: clalan (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 05:58

We were poor, mainly because the great line speed and pressure from Glos gave the players no time. We also had lack of pace, and lack of ideas, quite a few players picked up knocks mostly due to rushing things, a full strength top six team would have beaten us on that performance..
Letís hope thats the bad game out the way, but five points is five points and well done lads for getting the points.
Our kicking game needs improving, when we are off the pace itís a great weapon to reset and give ourselves a breather.

Well done Glos, it was the test we needed, a few players will have to play to earn their euro spot now.

Posted by: andy15 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 08:40

A win is a win and 5 points is another tick in the box. Glaws quick defence was strong and shut us down coupled with our inaccuracy at times. Line out poor which loses all momentum.

I donít buy this weaker Glaws side debate, there probably isnít a great difference in quality between their so called first up pack and this team, we have proved that with our results at Bristol and Saints. They are good players looking to impress the coaches. I much prefer to see coaches bringing hungry youngsters through than buying journeyman for short term fixes. Well done Glaws.

I think of most concern will be the missed first up tackles not Exe like but a quick fix.

Posted by: Severus (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 09:24

Quote:
andy15
A win is a win and 5 points is another tick in the box. Glaws quick defence was strong and shut us down coupled with our inaccuracy at times. Line out poor which loses all momentum.
I donít buy this weaker Glaws side debate, there probably isnít a great difference in quality between their so called first up pack and this team, we have proved that with our results at Bristol and Saints. They are good players looking to impress the coaches. I much prefer to see coaches bringing hungry youngsters through than buying journeyman for short term fixes. Well done Glaws.

I think of most concern will be the missed first up tackles not Exe like but a quick fix.

It was definitely an understrength Glaws team. 5 academy lads in the 23 man squad and two of them making their first XV debuts. We were expecting a massive thumping (as were the bookies) so are pleased with how it turned out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net