Strategic Partnership with Northampton Saints
Posted by: Ginger Blueboy (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2020 18:22

[bedfordrugby.co.uk]

A significant announcement.

I assume this means the relationship with Sarries is over. If I'm honest, I'm pleased it is - haven't felt we've got much out of it for a couple of seasons now (& they've enjoyed poaching our players). Also think after salary cap debacle some distancing was required.

Re: Strategic Partnership with Northampton Saints
Posted by: Jonathan Wilcox (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2020 20:47

This is really exciting news, made my day tbh. Looking forward to seeing a few announcements in the coming weeks.

Posted by: Yaffle (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2020 20:51

This is the best possible news under the current circumstances.

Posted by: Jonathan Wilcox (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2020 22:32

Yaffle, agreed

Posted by: Deerhunter (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2020 10:37

It doesn’t seem to be going down very well on the Championship version of this chat room.

Posted by: 1spy (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2020 17:28

Good move in that it gives the Club more financial sustainability but the cost is you lose your independence.

Posted by: Yaffle (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2020 18:23

Would I prefer it if Bedford were financially stable and able to be fully independent? Of course I would. However, those days have long since disappeared and the Championship is the most vulnerable of all the leagues.
It should be clear by now that there is only scope for one full-time league (The Premiership) and that everything from the current National League 1 is 'amateur'. This leaves the Championship in the equivalent of 'no mans land' - insufficient means or funding to be fully professional yet trying desperately to be competitive enough to challenge for promotion. This has happened only once in the past 10 years and that was when Exeter were able to execute their grand plan (and how well they have done it).
To my thinking, this announcement about an arrangement with Northampton is only an extension of what we have been doing with Saracens, Saints and Leicester over recent years. Good, young players will come and go but If it means that our club lives to fight another day, playing an exciting brand of rugby here, at Goldington Road, then I will sign up for it.

Posted by: Blue Jon (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2020 18:40

Agreed with these comments, it is the best for Bedford in what will be a financially stricken year or 2. it does now explain the the lack of signings, the board must have been confident of this agreement being formalised.

Looking at the comments on the 'championship forum', there are few who will be green with envy of us getting sorted in time for next year, whenever that starts.

Posted by: Deerhunter (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2020 20:33

Well said.

Posted by: bluegrass (IP Logged)
Date: 27 June, 2020 14:02

Well done Geoff Irvine, was a little worried how we were going to put a strong squad together for next season. Sounds like a great deal going forward.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net