Easy fundraising for Blues
Posted by: Bluebuthappy (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 14:29

[bedfordrugby.co.uk]

Iím surprised more people havenít signed up, thereís just 24 of us at the moment and no-one new has signed up for a month! Iíve moaned to Club about not featuring it more prominently on website.

All the info is in the link above but basically, if you buy virtually anything online - even services, you can raise funds for Blues by going through the referral link. A small percentage of your spend is donated to Blues. Most major names are there, Amazon, Argos, eBay, John Lewis, Sainsburyís etc, even comparison sites like Uswitch, and services like JustEat.

Iíve raised almost £25 since it started; the total so far is just over £60, which from 24 people ainít bad; imagine if we had 240? With an average gate of 2,000 and many more Twitter followers etc 500 people should be achievable.

Oh and since I signed up 2 months ago I havenít had a single spam email from 3rd parties either in case that worries people.

Re: Easy fundraising for Blues
Posted by: BlueChrisD (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 01:27

I suggested this several years ago (I even offered to design, host & run the site at no expense to the club) but the club did not want to know - this was back when you could get paid £170+ if someone switched mobile phone contracts (& way before there was so much competition).

It's great the club has now gone down this route - unfortunately the company doing it keeps a VERY LARGE % of the money that the retailers pay out so it's not the best option for the club - the club would be better putting links on their website direct to the merchants to earn a much better rate! This would also make it much easier for people - as soon as you ask people to sign up, you put people off! The club could highlight great promotions to fans - e.g. good mobile phone or energy providers deals! Not only would it encourage people to switch to keep bills low & to get the best offer but it would also help the club - it's a win-win!

I agree it needs plenty of promoting so people understand what it is/how it works & so they can get used to shopping in this way. Maybe some videos of players or staff showing how to sign up & how to shop - even how much the club would earn.

Looking at my figures from last year I got approx £250 (£6 travel insurance, £85 hotel stay, £10 clothes shop, £40 mobile phone switch, £20 house insurance, £4 garage etc - then lots small amounts). I would say £100 - £200 is not out of the question & very easily achieved! Most people will need car insurance, home/contents insurance, travel insurance every year. People with mobiles, broadband/TV, gas/electric suppliers etc will need to switch every 12 to 18 months to get a good deal & not over pay. Even if people just did these every year - it would build up a substantial amount for the club! Let's hope it can be promoted a bit more to encourage more people to sign up!

Date: 03 August, 2020 12:39

I take your point about direct affiliation Chris but the club could only really promote one or two companies (say, Amazon, Uswitch & Argos) otherwise to feature hundreds would be unwieldy, confusing or require a site of its own (shame they didnít take up your offer at the time).

I was a bit worried that a large chunk of donations would go to the hosting company but according to their terms easyfundraising deduct 1.4% plus transaction fees from the amount donated.
This compares with 1.9% (plus fees) for Just Giving. According to Reuters, for Captain Tomís recent NHS fundraising campaign JustGiving deducted 3% of the total raised, though only 1% found its way into their coffers, after operating costs etc. A nice little earner of over £300,000 but I canít see Blues fans raising £30 million. Lol.

If Blues end up receiving 97% (or thereabouts) of the total raised Iíll be quite happy. It is after all money that requires minimal effort and no extra expense. But it does require a lot of people to get on board.

Oh and 1 new person has signed up in last 24 hours - hopefully having read this post. (Sm128)

Posted by: BlueChrisD (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 13:50

I think a dedicated page with affiliates would be best on the Blues website.

The 1.4% fees you mention are to withdraw the money - that's not an issue.
The major downfall is that they are taking a MASSIVE chunk of what retailers pay out. Doing my own comparisons when it was announced, I found they are taking/paying out 50% to 70% of what retailers were paying out & what was offered on cashback.

I've just found the info on their website: "Like price comparison websites, we make money through affiliate marketing. This means that retailers pay us commission each time a sale is made with them through our site and we pass at least 50% of this on to the cause of the supporter's choice."

On a cashback site the highest rate for Three mobile phones is £70, easy's is £35 (50% difference).
Aviva car insurance £57.75 compared to £17.50 on easy (70% difference).

That's not a small % - that's a HUGE difference. I would like to see as much of this money going to The Blues rather than another company! Maybe the club could look at signing up to a few decent affiliates that pay out decent amounts & which will be used once a year - mobile phones, TV/broadband, insurance, energy suppliers - to have on their website to get full payments.

But as you say it requires minimal effort & helps the club - so it's all good! (Sm128)

Date: 07 August, 2020 15:30

At least my post seems to have brought attention to it.
Since I put my post up 4 new people have signed up, in the month previous - ZERO!
Only another 476 to go...... eye popping smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net