Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Yeah!!! NUFC - Hope this happens
Posted by: Falcona (IP Logged)
Date: 14 April, 2020 17:47

A Newcastle United takeover is very close after new documents show that owner Mike Ashley has entered into a charge agreement with potential buyer Amanda Staveley.

Financier Staveley is leading a bid which involves Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund and the Reuben Brothers.

It is understood to be worth £300m.

The documents include details of a £150m loan between Ashley's St James Holdings company and Staveley's PCP Capital Partners.

But it is understood that money relates to PCP's long-running legal case against Barclays Bank PLC.

The 31-page charge agreement lodged at Companies House lays the legal groundwork for a potential deal to be completed.

The Premier League have also been informed of the potential deal and are understood to have begun the process of carrying out checks under its owners and directors test.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: OT: Yeah!!! NUFC - Hope this happens
Posted by: alas (IP Logged)
Date: 14 April, 2020 20:49

I'm no fan of Ashley, but the Saudis have done far worse.

Posted by: Leipziger (IP Logged)
Date: 15 April, 2020 08:46

I expect that unless the Saudis want to turn Newcastle into the next Man City or Chelsea (in which case it's a nationally-strategic purchase and/or sportswashing), they are in it to make a profit, in which case they'll put less in and take more out than Ashley has.

Posted by: GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 15 April, 2020 09:40

Well, if they dont mind, they can pop a few mill down the road to Mr Kurdi...winking smiley

Posted by: FalcDancer (IP Logged)
Date: 15 April, 2020 10:44

Quote:
Leipziger
I expect that unless the Saudis want to turn Newcastle into the next Man City or Chelsea (in which case it's a nationally-strategic purchase and/or sportswashing), they are in it to make a profit, in which case they'll put less in and take more out than Ashley has.

In order to compete with Man City and Chelsea it will take a lot of investment, I mean hundreds of millions. Thatís far more than Ashley would even dream if investing
To make a profit in football you need to be in the Champions League every year, tele rights, sponsorships will then max out

Any buy out wishing to make a profit will need to take the club further than it currently is to get anywhere

Posted by: steve1888 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 April, 2020 11:01

The irony of Saudis working with a woman to buy a sports club ....

Posted by: JustAnotherOnlooker (IP Logged)
Date: 15 April, 2020 12:10

So they're lending the money off Ashley in order to complete the transaction?

Doesn't sound like the actions of people with money to me.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 April, 2020 12:28

Football is littered with clubs who were desperate to get rid of their owners only to find the replacements to be even worse.

(Although being worse than Ashley would be going some).

Posted by: GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 15 April, 2020 12:44

Quote:
JustAnotherOnlooker
So they're lending the money off Ashley in order to complete the transaction?
Doesn't sound like the actions of people with money to me.

I keep hearing its something to do with the "interest free loan" that Ashley lent to Utd.

Surely that was paid off years ago with all the free advertising hes been getting.

Posted by: A tramp abroad (IP Logged)
Date: 15 April, 2020 14:12

It is not unusual in company acquisitions for the seller to give a loan, it is called vendor financing. Mike Ashley has been quoted as willing to accept stage payments, this is a method of implementing that.

It is not an indication that the purchasers are short of funds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2020 14:20 by A tramp abroad.

Posted by: matt1il (IP Logged)
Date: 15 April, 2020 16:13

Trying not to get excited, normally I'd not believe this copy+paste story from every 6 months.

But God I'd like to go back to SJP after this lockdown is over after not being there for years!

Ashley has tried to maximise his profit by aiming for 17th every year and paying out the absolute minimum. Hilariously missing it twice and losing his bet. Relegation hits him in the pocket more than any fan so I wasn't too disappointed by it last time.

Posted by: Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 15 April, 2020 18:28

For every sexy owner of Man City thereís an owner like the Venkys at Blackburn. Iím no fan of Ashley, quite an unlikeable individual but zero hour contracts for your staff pale into insignificance v human rights abuses. Not sure if Ms Stavely is hugely trustworthy either. (Allegedly)

Itís really sad that since Shepherd ludicrously sacked SBR those years ago weíve never recovered as a club and for years weíve clung to every takeover talk with eager anticipation.

Pity Ant and Dec didnít have a spare hundred million or so and they could join together with Gaz from Geordie Shore, at least theyíre genuine supporters.

Date: 15 April, 2020 19:34

Quote:
FalcDancer
Quote:
Leipziger

In order to compete with Man City and Chelsea it will take a lot of investment, I mean hundreds of millions. Thatís far more than Ashley would even dream if investing
To make a profit in football you need to be in the Champions League every year, tele rights, sponsorships will then max out

Any buy out wishing to make a profit will need to take the club further than it currently is to get anywhere

You might be right Dancer, that decent investment in the squad will be required whatever the goal is. It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens, and SJP will definitely look nicer if all that Sports Direct graffiti disappears!

P.S. Hope yous are all staying safe during this crazy time :-)

Posted by: FalcDancer (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2020 08:00

Quote:
Leipziger
Quote:
FalcDancer
Quote:
Leipziger

You might be right Dancer, that decent investment in the squad will be required whatever the goal is. It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens, and SJP will definitely look nicer if all that Sports Direct graffiti disappears!

All well at this end Leipy. I hope the Leipyís are keeping well and that youíre taking advantage of gods country for daily walks (within Gov guidelines of course)

If, and I am still trying to stop myself getting too excited, if Ashley leaves, we donít know what the exact details of any take over are. However I live in the hope that anyone wishing to buy a club and make a profit realise that in order to make money in football you need to be at the top and that takes investment

The stadium and training/academy facilities are unchanged in 13 years. For a project to work the investment needs to start in the core foundations of the club and work up

It needs to be more than splashing the cash in big wages otherwise itís doomed to fail

Date: 16 April, 2020 10:49

Quote:
FalcDancer
Quote:
Leipziger
Quote:
FalcDancer
Quote:
Leipziger

All well at this end Leipy. I hope the Leipyís are keeping well and that youíre taking advantage of gods country for daily walks (within Gov guidelines of course)

If, and I am still trying to stop myself getting too excited, if Ashley leaves, we donít know what the exact details of any take over are. However I live in the hope that anyone wishing to buy a club and make a profit realise that in order to make money in football you need to be at the top and that takes investment

The stadium and training/academy facilities are unchanged in 13 years. For a project to work the investment needs to start in the core foundations of the club and work up

It needs to be more than splashing the cash in big wages otherwise itís doomed to fail

Aye man, been running a lot recently with the good weather and not working much. Mrs and Baby L have been walking a lot in the woods too so little one is learning a lot about nature! Looking forward to getting back to KP at some point later this year though, and meeting Baby Dancer no. 2.

I definitely hope, this deal will be more like Man City where there is a big bounce but it is underpinned investment in the club's foundations to make the whole thing sustainable, rather than just throwing money at it and revolving-door-managers like Chelsea. I think if Man City and Chelsea's owners pulled out tomorrow, City would be in a much better position.

The ethics of the whole thing is what it is unfortunately, the Saudis won't care about any protests or criticism in the media.

Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2020 10:54

Much as I will nit be hnhappy at the departure of Ashley, the thought of United passing into the ownership of the Saudi regime does not bring a smile to my face.
Still, I suspect that all financial funds if such astounding size are tainted in some way.

Posted by: A tramp abroad (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2020 14:25

Quote:
dick g
the thought of United passing into the ownership of the Saudi regime does not bring a smile to my face.

Let's not be more royal than the king.

Posted by: Falcona (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2020 17:10

It may not be Arabs???

It's been another busy day at Companies House regarding some of the key players in the Newcastle United takeover.

Yesterday saw Amanda Staveley's PCP upload documents showing a direct link to St James Holdings, while she was also made a director of a firm tied to the representatives of the Reuben Brothers.
[www.chroniclelive.co.uk]

Posted by: matt1il (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2020 21:05

Quote:
Falcona
It may not be Arabs???

It's been another busy day at Companies House regarding some of the key players in the Newcastle United takeover.

Yesterday saw Amanda Staveley's PCP upload documents showing a direct link to St James Holdings, while she was also made a director of a firm tied to the representatives of the Reuben Brothers.
[www.chroniclelive.co.uk]

The Saudi royal family are 75/80% (depending where you read it) holders of the company linked to buying the club.

Posted by: lizard118 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2020 13:52

I will be happy with a sensible and gradual process like Leicester's where the club is getting better year on year.
I started following NUFC in the early 90s and bought a new shirt every season until Ashley came on the scene.

As far as I'm concerned any owner would be an improvement on Ashley. Maybe he's prudent I don't know, but from what I've seen he's taken more money out of the club than he's put in, buying players like Cabaye etc and selling them at huge profits and not really putting the money back into the team. Maybe a good business sense but this is football. He has presided over two relegations, something I never thought possible. The second relegation didn't bother me which says how disconnected I had become.
I continued following the club from far but Ashley made me fall out love with football generally. It's been painful seeing how the club has been run into the ground,when you think this is a club that was regularly challenging for the top 4 not that long ago. It seems like such a long time now.
When you see the likes of Leicester, Wolves, Everton, Tottenham etc going places it makes you wonder where Newcastle can get to with the potential this club has.

Newcastle like Leeds in my opinion are true sleeping giants when you think these are single clubs in a big city, unlike the likes of Everton, who are the poor cousins in the city of Liverpool.
Having come short in the late 90s and early 2000s I just feel that there's unfinished business as far as winning something meaningful and I'm hoping this can be a catalyst to win something. The long suffering fans deserve a good break.

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net