Agustin Pichot resigns from World Rugby Council role after election defeat
Posted by: Falcona (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2020 15:26

"The only reason I have been a part of World Rugby to this day, and which in turn is the same one that has moved me to run for president, is the conviction that World Rugby needs change," said Pichot.

"But my proposal, which I fervently believe in, has not been chosen, and that is why I choose to step aside.

"I cannot conceive of occupying a place just for the sake of occupying it"

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: Agustin Pichot resigns from World Rugby Council role after election defeat
Posted by: limpopo (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 14:11

Thrown his toys out of the pram

Posted by: stuart66 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 14:25

I didn't like his ideas but if he could not achive what he wanted to do their was no point in him staying.

Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 09:26

Gone and to be forgotten.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 13:40

"I cannot conceive of occupying a place just for the sake of occupying it"

He could have occupied the place and done what he was elected to do. It seems he won't be much of a loss.

Posted by: markismith50 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 15:03

To be fair to him, all the way through his campaigning he said he would step away if he didn’t get in. A rare case of somebody keeping their word, if anything.

Posted by: Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2020 12:33

Sadly if you stand against and openly criticise your boss, it's not really viable to continue working for him. Makes sense. Hopefully he will find new challenges within the sport and I'm sure he won't be short of offers

Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2020 14:33

I find this modern trend of describing anybody who acts according to their principles as 'spitting their dummy out' or 'throwing their toys out of the pram' not only pathetic, but indicative of a lack of intelligence. The man made his views clear, did not get support for his ideas, so only right to step down & let somebody else join the team. That is a sign of an honourable person, not somebody who is childish.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2020 14:35

I find this modern trend of attacking anybody who has a view they don't agree with not only pathetic, but indicative of a lack of intelligence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2020 14:37 by SimonG19.

Date: 17 May, 2020 11:15

I'm sorry that you consider that I am unintelligent Monkey, I had not expected that from you and I am somewhat surprised.

Date: 17 May, 2020 11:23

Somebody's tired ;-)

Posted by: eebagum (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 12:18

So that’s pretty straightforward then...you disagree in principle with your boss= you resign..a blueprint for modern industry?
It was a close vote, how do the Nations who voted for him feel?He could have stayed, led them in debate and tried to influence future decisions, maybe not to the extent he would have wished.
..just a thought!

Date: 17 May, 2020 12:22

Not sure if I'm the target of that or if it's a general statement . I am neither condoning nor condemning , supporting nor lambasting anything nor anyone. Merely articulating that if you stand against the guy you will be working for and who's views you are employed to promote and your views differ significantly , remaining in the position would be very difficult without significant capitulation by each party

Posted by: Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 15:48

He seems to be the only one in any place of authority who has spoken out against the ‘represent any country you fancy that day’ mantra. Not sure about his other thoughts tbh. I would have thought the best way of influencing things is by remaining part of the organisation although if he said he’d resign if unsuccessful, then fair enough.

Posted by: eebagum (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 17:25

Absolutely not having a go at you RAF Pilot....just my take on the situation and a general statement.
Bill Beaumont has been elected as Chairman, that’s the person who presides over the Meeting....not a
Person who dictates policy and his Committee have to fall in line.
As Exiled Falcon says’ the best way of influencing things is by remaining.......’
I’m sure Augustin could have found the right words to reverse his decision to resign-and remain with those Nations who supported him in the Vote....and maintain his dignity.

Posted by: matt1il (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 10:48

Quote:
eebagum
As Exiled Falcon says’ the best way of influencing things is by remaining.......’

You had to go there? smiling smiley

Date: 18 May, 2020 11:45

(Sm102)

Posted by: Leipziger (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 18:16

Quote:
eebagum
Bill Beaumont has been elected as Chairman, that’s the person who presides over the Meeting....not a
Person who dictates policy and his Committee have to fall in line.

At professional sports clubs, the chairman (if they are the owner, which they normally are, or at least the owner's right-hand person) does dictate policy, so it could be the case at governing bodies too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net