The Silence is DEAFENING
Posted by: omnus caritas (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 11:27

Most, if not all, of the Clubs in the Premier League have maintained a presence during
the pandemic , utilising their websites, facebook and other social media.

The Falcons have not.

I am aware that the Falcons placed staff on furlough, but they are not the only Club to do so.

A continuing silence from the Club may well add to the beliefs of those theorists who forecast
that the Falcons are favourites to go out of business.

On a personal level I am disappointed, as a supporter, by being 'ignored' !

I need to hear some good news !!

Is it just me...…..is this pandemic depressing me ?

Comments, please...…...

Re: The Silence is DEAFENING
Posted by: Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 11:35

Lol, a good negative/inflammatory post to try and provoke some heated debate.
It would have been nice to be able to still buy stuff from the club shop online and have a few news stories but if a couple months of silence is the financially responsible approach to ensure the clubs survival and return to the premiership then that is a small price.
Unlike the premiership teams who appear to be intending to finish the season and enjoy all the additional revenue that will bring along with tv rights, the falcons are now left with no crowds , no match coverage fees or anything else till at least September or more likely November. As a result , yes we have been hit harder than any, especially when trying to build for a return to the premiership .
That said our fan base is strong, our ownership responsible and our future bright.

Posted by: There's 35 seconds to go (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 11:37

*All* staff are furloughed.

They aren't legally allowed to post on Facebook, twitter, here (in an official capacity), release press releases etc.

Posted by: markismith50 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 11:46

Hi guys,

I appreciate the silence is as frustrating for you as it is for us. As has been explained, we are on furlough, hence not able to update the club channels. But we’re still here, getting through it all together and as keen as ever to start posting again when the situation allows.

In the meantime, stay safe, keep looking after each other, and we’ll be back to it before you know it.

Posted by: matt1il (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 10:53

Quote:
Rafpilot2000
Lol, a good negative/inflammatory post to try and provoke some heated debate.
It would have been nice to be able to still buy stuff from the club shop online and have a few news stories but if a couple months of silence is the financially responsible approach to ensure the clubs survival and return to the premiership then that is a small price.
Unlike the premiership teams who appear to be intending to finish the season and enjoy all the additional revenue that will bring along with tv rights, the falcons are now left with no crowds , no match coverage fees or anything else till at least September or more likely November. As a result , yes we have been hit harder than any, especially when trying to build for a return to the premiership .
That said our fan base is strong, our ownership responsible and our future bright.

Absolutely!

We could be the professional club (Globally) with the longest time between games at the end of this, of course we're doing things differently!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2020 20:56 by matt1il.

Posted by: GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 11:34

I can understand the OP feeling. I think most people have been abiding by the rules, lockdown (unlike some selfish people) etc, but now are starting to become restless with everything...and wanting to take up their hobbies / pastimes again.

That includes supporting the Falcons. We all love to hear the news and goings on. But its just not possible at the moment.

We all understand the situaiton and legalities.

Posted by: PurpleGroundhog (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 12:13

[quote Rafpilot2000]
Unlike the premiership teams who appear to be intending to finish the season and enjoy all the additional revenue that will bring along with tv rights, the falcons are now left with no crowds , no match coverage fees or anything else till at least September or more likely November.

The last I read, the govt aren’t going to allow large crowds of people until a vaccine is found and they’re still talking about the middle of next year for that to become available. So, I think we, and the Falcons, could be in for a long wait.

Posted by: AJfalc (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 12:38

Our best hope seems to be that Oxford and AstraZeneca come up with the goods and Falcons supporters are in the 1st 30 million vaccines produced.

Posted by: alas (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 12:43

What additional revenue apart from tv rights? Playing games behind closed doors will cost money and only makes sense because of tv money. Currently the Falcons don't have any tv money to play for.

Posted by: pityacker (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 13:20

Reading about many none sports companies in real financial troubles much larger and wealthier than Falcons must make the situation not only at KP but much of the professional rugby fraternity very precarious but lets hope they all come through it.

Posted by: Leipziger (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 18:13

Quote:
pityacker
Reading about many none sports companies in real financial troubles much larger and wealthier than Falcons must make the situation not only at KP but much of the professional rugby fraternity very precarious but lets hope they all come through it.

In a way we could be in a better position than most rugby clubs because a) we know we're going to be in the Premiership next season, whenever that starts, so we'll get Premiership money, but b) we don't have to complete our current season so we can concentrate on next season and get furlough money while other teams have to pay their players from their own coffers, and c) although we have a lower turnover than most (all?) of the other 12, we probably have much lower costs too, certainly in terms of players' wages. Hopefully anyway :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2020 18:14 by Leipziger.

Posted by: Kingston Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 21:09

And I guess our out of contract players leave at the end of this month, whilst their replacements may not sign contracts that start in June, given the fact that the Premiership might still be in season. The result could be that we save 3 months wages for all of the new recruits, whilst next year's rivals won't.

Posted by: GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2020 09:07

Quote:
Kingston Parker
And I guess our out of contract players leave at the end of this month, whilst their replacements may not sign contracts that start in June, given the fact that the Premiership might still be in season. The result could be that we save 3 months wages for all of the new recruits, whilst next year's rivals won't.

Therein lies another question...who is out of contract in our squad and have we actually signed any replacements...or will be rushing through signings once things start to gain some form of normality (im not expecting that soon)

Posted by: matt1il (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2020 09:25

Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Quote:
Kingston Parker

Therein lies another question...who is out of contract in our squad and have we actually signed any replacements...or will be rushing through signings once things start to gain some form of normality (im not expecting that soon)

The issue we have is if we sign anyone they could be furloughed, but if they go to another Prem club they'd get paid until the end of the season/decision is made to the contrary, and then the next season will be planned, whereas we simply don't know when our next game is, it could be another 5/6 months before Falcons play competitive rugby again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net