1996 and all that. Union v League
Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 09:34

Thanks to YouTube, I have been re-visiting the Bath v Wigan challenge of the codes games which marked RU's acceptance of professionalism and the subsequent reprochement with RL.

It involved Bath - then the top RU side - playing rwo games against Wigan, one under RL laws in Manchester and one under RU laws at Twickers.

Wigan smashed Bath 82-6 in Manchester. Bath's drift defence couldn't cope with the direct running and varied attack lines of the lkes of Tuigamala, Offiah and Robinson.

At Twickenham, Bath took the game 44-19. Wigan struggled at the scrum, fixed and loose, and line-out in spite of having a smattering of ex-RU players. The use of the then quite new driving maul also gave Bath an edge.

It would be interesting to repeat the exercise. Rush defence is now common in our game and varied running lines and effective back-up play is standard.

And, of course, RU players can now match RL for fitness.

How do you think the games would go today?

Re: 1996 and all that. Union v League
Posted by: matt1il (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 10:16

Quote:
dick g
How do you think the games would go today?

In the RU laws game you'd plenty of High Tackles as League players go in high (not illegally), I think the challenges of set pieces would still be there if not more so as the amount of ex-RU in the League game is far less now.

In the RL laws game I think it'd be quite an even match as things like Touch Rugby in training has become more of a thing. Mind you if RU teams needed to play a usual front row for 80mins I think the RL would win in the final 20.

Posted by: RiponFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 19:18

I think the league game would be much closer. Particularly if the union team was selected wisely for the league game. A mobile hooker and 5 back rowers in the pack. Some big direct runners in the backs
The union game would now be a walkover but it would be a god awful game to watch. Scrum, penalty line out maul penalty repeat until try

Is my memory right that these were midweek games with highlights shown on sportsnight?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/05/2020 19:25 by RiponFalcon.

Posted by: limpopo (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2020 16:09

I remember seeing those games, total mismatch on both occasions which I enjoyed, more on the league game of course as the score suggests, but today, not really sure, a lot closer I think.

Posted by: Osric (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2020 09:39

I remember going to the Twickenham sevens when Wigan had been invited and they won the thing pretty easily (from a hazy memory).

Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2020 10:03

Quote:
Osric
I remember going to the Twickenham sevens when Wigan had been invited and they won the thing pretty easily (from a hazy memory).
This final and other union/league sevens games are on YouTube.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net