Current Page: 1 of 4
Johnny Williams
Posted by: DocA27 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2020 23:55

More depressing transfer news, as multiple reports this evening confirming the rumours that Johnny Williams is off to Scarlets.

So that's our best centre and our best young prospect out the door in the space of a few days.

And for those that will inevitably respond "We're a poorer club lower down the table, we can't hold onto these players", a poorer club lower down the table, Worcester, just re-signed Ted Hill and Ollie Lawrence.

Re: Johnny Williams
Posted by: maire88 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 02:20

Worcester are clearly in the financial position to be able to tie down two of their brightest young players on significant contracts so that would suggest that they arenít as poor as you make them out to be.
Unfortunately thatís the nature of rugby. The best players in smaller teams quickly get snatched by the ones with the most money. Iíve seen it countless times in the other team that I watch. Yes itís tough- itís unpalatable and it might make for some absolute frustration (as Iíve seen in the thread about Josh Hodge. Thereís clearly some frustration there) As good as they are though- two players donít make a team. No-one knows what will happen in these next few weeks/months. There will likely be a flurry of activity in this next week or so as contracts end and players move. Maybe not where the Falcons is concerned but who knows whatís going on behind the scenes?

Posted by: ed.up.north (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 04:28

I know we donít know all the details. I know there are lots of factors at play. I know a rugby playerís career is short.

This still feels like a massive kick in the balls.

Posted by: Garym (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 09:28

As a Worcester fan, it has been an amazing week for us, with two more contract extensions to come.

With regards to finances, I would say that it is toss up between ourselves and you for the "poorest" teams in the Premiership. We have only signed 3 new players for "next' season, who wouldn't have cost that much.

Unfortunately, I see it as the usual battle for relegation next season (us, you, Tigers, LI). With all the guys we have promoted from the academy to the premiership squad and the two extensions of Hill and Lawrence, I wonder if the clubs know something about the future we don't!

Anyway good luck for "next" season and I look forward to my week in Northumberland for the away game.

Posted by: GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 09:51

Another worst kept secret.

As above , i can only hope ring fencing is coming in and we're just going to blood all the kids with a few championship signings.

If relegation is still happening...we're already gone before a game has kicked off!

Posted by: Falconsfan93 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 10:14

Just like the hodge rumours, this has been a slow burner for a good few months now. I know a lot of folk on here donít like my stance on the matter but I just find it so unprofessional and frankly a kick in the b&@:!@ks to us paying fans having to find out our most promising player and one of our better seasoned players are leaving through another clubs twitter account. If ring fencing isnít a formality as some people have mentioned on some posts then we are as good as back down. I just canít get my head around how championship clubs who will be waiting like us until late 2020 to start up the season again can inform fans of player comings and goings and quite clearly donít have the same finances available to them as we do. Just to clarify Smithy if your reading this, this isnít a dig at you as I know fine well youíve done your upmost to engage with us on here during these last few months and your hands are ultimately tied. But I get this overriding feeling Falcons as a club are way way behind majority of other clubs in terms of how they operate in todayís game.

Posted by: CharlieDog (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 10:33

Quote:
Falconsfan93
Just like the hodge rumours, this has been a slow burner for a good few months now. I know a lot of folk on here donít like my stance on the matter but I just find it so unprofessional and frankly a kick in the b&@:!@ks to us paying fans having to find out our most promising player and one of our better seasoned players are leaving through another clubs twitter account. If ring fencing isnít a formality as some people have mentioned on some posts then we are as good as back down. I just canít get my head around how championship clubs who will be waiting like us until late 2020 to start up the season again can inform fans of player comings and goings and quite clearly donít have the same finances available to them as we do. Just to clarify Smithy if your reading this, this isnít a dig at you as I know fine well youíve done your upmost to engage with us on here during these last few months and your hands are ultimately tied. But I get this overriding feeling Falcons as a club are way way behind majority of other clubs in terms of how they operate in todayís game.

Yawn.........

Posted by: stuart66 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 10:44

scarlets have not yet announced anything and all we have to go on is a report in the daily mail . haveing looked at their website twitter and facebook their is nothing about johhny . the scarlet fans dont know whats happening. i think he is gone but their is no evidence to back that up yet.

Posted by: ed.up.north (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 10:44

Quote:
Falconsfan93

I agree. I have the greatest respect for Mark, I understand the restrictions caused by furlough and donít hold any ill will towards him.

The club, on the other hand, does not come out of this episode well. If youíre going to furlough your media team, then you have a duty to make sure alternative arrangements are in place. Some club staff will be at work and could easily have picked up this particular aspect of Smithyís usual work. Other clubs are managing to issue critical communications despite having large numbers of people on furlough. Mick Hogan himself is a regular Twitter user, surely as a last resort he could have stepped in?

Posted by: stuart66 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 10:49

falcons did manage to put up a post about wells leaveing after the furloughs came in so somebody is caperbil of posting messages on the website

Posted by: Falconsfan93 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 11:04

Quote:
CharlieDog
Quote:
Falconsfan93

Yawn.........

CD one of my biggest fans ......Ha! Hey itís good to have differing opinions the world would be an extremely boring place! Hope your keeping well and enjoying the weather while you yawn at my posts.

Posted by: limpopo (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 11:22

Worcester are not poor!

Date: 24 June, 2020 11:37

Just think in the last few months we've lost...

9 Takalua
10 Josh Matavesi (I know hes a 12 really)
12 Williams
13 Penny
15 Hodge

Not a bad backline in the making!!

Posted by: Siders (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 11:44

Disappointed with this.

However, he is out of contract so really its his choice, and it would seem from the stories that this is more than just about money.

I think its fair enough to be annoyed, but i think the anger really should be channelled towards how we can make the club as a whole more attractive to players and more financially stable.

These individual departures often have a myriad of underlying reasons. GF - agree with you that thats a healthy back line, but equally, when you take the cases individually you have a player late in his career given a once in a lifetime chance to play in the south of france and earn some money, a youngster approached to join one of the best clubs in the country who have produced a lot of england players, and a young centre who clearly wants to play for Wales...

Re: the communication, i agree with those that say the clubs approach has been pretty poor. Its not Mark's fault at all, but part of building back is communicating well.

Posted by: Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 11:50

Sad news but this one does not hurt in the same way Hodge did.

Worrying times.

Date: 24 June, 2020 11:52

Quote:
Siders
I
GF - agree with you that thats a healthy back line, but equally, when you take the cases individually you have a player late in his career given a once in a lifetime chance to play in the south of france and earn some money, a youngster approached to join one of the best clubs in the country who have produced a lot of england players, and a young centre who clearly wants to play for Wales....

Agree, difficult to keep them...plus young Tom Penny was just incredbily injury prone.

i guess we need to see who we sign up , and how the players who performed vvery well last season (Stevenson, Wakecoke, Radwan, Connon, Peterson) etc etc can cope with the big step up.

I still think Lucock the Doncaster 12, could be a very shrewd signing.

Date: 24 June, 2020 13:25

Is Charlie Wilson due to finish his uni studies this year?

Posted by: FalcDancer (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 13:34

Losing Williams, Matavesi & Harris within 12 months. All quality players that cannot just be replaced by academy players

Posted by: Barry555 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 13:55

More gutted about this then Hodge.

Bloke is class act. All the best to him. Hopefully theyíve been replaced adequately or in the process of doing so by the club.

Posted by: Osric (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 13:58

Ring fencing, a miracle or weíre down. Iíll keep toddling along, when allowed, but itís a shame. That said, I want to still have a club to watch in a decadeís time, and, as stated, unless anyoneís got a couple of million to spare every year, itís where we are.

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net