Current Page: 1 of 5
Team 2020/21
Posted by: DocA27 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 00:15

My post a few minutes ago about Johnny Williams leaving left me thinking about the team we're actually going to be able to field whenever the flip we actually play a game, and how we can use the massive delay to boost our chances of being competitive.

1. The Team

Based on who we were playing at the end of the Championship season, this is who I see as our starting line up with top back ups (Yes I know some of this is covered in a stickied thread, but including it in a wider context), as well as some quick comment.

1. Lockwood/Davison --> Not prem standard
2. McGuigan/Blamire (?Cooper to return) --> Good depth with all 3 potential starters
3. Ah You/Welsh (if he ever gets fit) --> Just about prem standard props. Scrum will be a MAJOR issue if we head into the season without any additions.
4. Peterson/Barry --> Unproved at Prem level but very good in Champ. Some hope
5. Robinson/Montgomery --> Good starter. Although worry for lineout between those 2 starters. Montgomery has good potential
6. Wilson/Chick --> Basically the closest humanity has come to God since Matt Burke. Chick an excellent back up/occasional starter
7. Hardie/Welch --> Hardie excellent, Welch always solid.
8. Van Der Walt/Nagusa --> VdW never played at Prem level, didn't see enough in Champ. Nagusa utter liability last time he played at Prem level (knock ons, minimal impact, endless penalties).

9. Young/Stuart --> Just comprehensively not good enough. Not giving either young 9 game time was a colossal error.
10. Connon/Flood --> Connon finally started to show some of his potential and should be given first grab at the shirt. Flood always available if the s hits the fan.

11. Sinoti/Vuna --> Sinoti still capable of magic but past his prime, and often a big worry in kick defence. Vuna coming back from serious injury.
12. Flood/Stevenson? --> Flood probably a bit worrisome defensively at 12 at Prem level. Stevenson showed flashes but played on the wing. Some rumours of a Champ 12, but unproven at Prem level
13. Wacokecoke/???? --> One of the bright lights of the Champ, looking forward to him getting a run at Prem level. God knows who is else is playing 13.
14. Radwan/???? --> Radwan amazing. Which guarantees he'll leave soon. We have 3 listed full time wingers on the club website. The alternatives are Arscott and Tait. The alternatives give me palpitations.
15. Arscott/Tait --> Arscott good in Champ. But last year at Prem level a major liability. Tait is way way past his prime at this point. Excuse me whilst I go watch Josh Hodge highlights and cry.

From that: Front row very worrying, 2nd row depth worrying and unproven, Back row no worries, 9 disastrous, 10 potential, centres big worry both in terms of starting 12 and any depth. Wing major depth issues, 15 worrying.

That is not a good position to be in.

2. How can we use the delay.

So we can whinge and moan about not being able to play for ages. Or figure out how the hell we can use it to our advantage. And I'm thinking 2 very important things.
a) Fitness. Too many times in past years I've watched the team and the fitness levels haven't been where they should be. No excuse this year. The fitness regimen should be BRUTAL. These players should be coming into the season fitter than they have ever been. There is ZERO excuse for them not being as fit as possible.
b) Basic Skills. Along with fitness, continually our basic skills under pressure and when tired have been poor. Again an extended pre season gives a huge chance to correct this. If players can execute basic skills combined with brutal fitness sessions, we will improve.

Re: Team 2020/21
Posted by: alas (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 00:55

You've missed out Gary Graham. Back five in the pack is the only art of the team that is premiership standard.

Posted by: GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 09:48

Makes me wonder if ring fencing is coming in and we are aware of it. So we'll lower the wage bill and bring some more through from the academy.

Worcester seem to be doing the same...few signings, but loads of academy promotions.

As per the team.

Front row - Poor
Locks - Robinson is very good, the rest Unproven
Back row - Very Good

SH's: Poor, but lots of potential in the kids
FH': Flood past it...but Connon and Haydon Wood offer hope
Centres: Not prem class
Back 3: Radwan class, Passman offers hope...the rest past it.

Date: 24 June, 2020 10:19

PS Team for next year....

1 Lockwood
2 McGuigan / Blamire
3 Ah You
4 Robinson
5 Peterson
6 Wilson
7 Welch
8 De Walt

9 Young
10 Flood
11 Sinoti
12 Wakecoke
13 Stevenson
14 Tait
15 Arscott

My team for next year
1 Lockwood
2 McGuigan / Blamire
3 Ah You
4 Robinson
5 Peterson
6 Wilson
7 Graham
8 De Walt

9 Kelemeti
10 Connon
11 Radwan
12 Joel Matavesi
13 Wackecoke
14 Vuna (Passman off the bench)
15 Stevenson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/06/2020 10:52 by GeordieFalcon.

Posted by: DocA27 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 10:46

Quote:
GeordieFalcon
PS Team for next year....
1 Lockwood
2 McGuigan / Blamire
3 Ah You
4 Robinson
5 Peterson
6 Wilson
7 Welch
8 De Walt

9 Young
10 Flood
11 Sinoti
12 Wakecoke
13 Stevenson
14 Tait
15 Arscott

My team for next year
1 Lockwood
2 McGuigan / Blamire
3 Ah You
4 Robinson
5 Peterson
6 Wilson
7 Graham
8 De Walt

9 Kelemeti
10 Connon
11 Radwan
12 Josh Matavesi
13 Wackecoke
14 Vuna (Passman off the bench)
15 Stevenson

Matavesi left the club a fair few months ago! Agree with Cam N-K as starting 9. Has Stevenson ever played 15? Hardie has to start.

Date: 24 June, 2020 10:52

Sorry meant Joel....his younger brother.

Posted by: Leipziger (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 10:53

I see nobody's mentioned Joel Hodgson, who would be my choice to start at 10 with Connon on the bench and starting cup games.

Cameron NK has barely played for the first team, is he really ready to be our starting 9 straight away in the Premiership? Although I suppose it depends how desperate you are to keep Micky Young out of the team.

Posted by: stuart66 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 10:56

doc maybe geordief nows something more than us as their is some confussion on the bath forum as too wether or not matavesi has left their club

Date: 24 June, 2020 10:56

Leipy,

If Young is able to open up and play the attacking game we want then fine. No issues.

Id keep Joel on the bench now...push Connon and Haydon Wood through.

Posted by: FalcDancer (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 13:24

With a couple of additions we have a good pack
Our backs however look light of quality as things stands
Itís quite depressing

Posted by: Siders (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 14:17

I actually think our first XV doesnt look too bad. Its just the lack of depth that is a real worry.

Date: 24 June, 2020 14:25

Quote:
Siders
I actually think our first XV doesnt look too bad. Its just the lack of depth that is a real worry.

We donít have any proven quality premiership centres

Posted by: Rogerandout (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2020 14:58

I think that we still have 4 recognised centres at the club in Owen, Lucock, Wakakeoke & Stevenson.
In addition Flood played 12 a bit last year and I seem to recall he has played between 10&12 throughout his career.
Vuna was playing in the 13 shirt in the World Cup last year.
So whilst we arenít blessed with Proven Premiership players we have what I expect us to have in our financial position.
Some players who have been the real deal and are perhaps a bit past it. In addition some younger players who we hope will prove to be the real deal.
It is going to be tough but if our coaches have nurtured the right players, trained them skill wise, got them as fit and strong as possible. Got a bit of siege mentality/bloody minded togetherness then we will be fine.
Brian Clough didnít sign superstar players and they were the best team in Europe.

Date: 24 June, 2020 15:18

Quote:
FalcDancer
Quote:
Siders

I guess theres only one way to test them...and that Lucock looks not a bad player if we have signed him at 12.

Joel Matavesi - Big lad, skilled, probably more a 10 than 12 though
Gareth Owen - Not prem standard
Ben Stevenson - Unproven - only one way to find out
Wakecoke - Unproven - Only one way to find out
Charlie Wilson - The pick of the lot really...currently at UNI. Cracking potential
Chindera Obonna - Further behind at the moment but a real propsect. Big lad.

I think we'll see Flood, Wakecoke, Stevenson and Lucock as the centres next season

Date: 24 June, 2020 15:24

Yes i keep forgetting about Cooper Vuna...he could be a very important player to us. Similar to Sinoti...a powerful, aggressive player who can play wing and centre.

Posted by: Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2020 06:20

Good assessment of where we currently are Doc.

I just wish we could retain our promising younger players like Sale seem to do. It has been a major issue with Deano's tenure for me, that and the poor style of rugby obviously (for the most).

Date: 25 June, 2020 07:34

Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Quote:
FalcDancer
Quote:
Siders

I guess theres only one way to test them...and that Lucock looks not a bad player if we have signed him at 12.

Joel Matavesi - Big lad, skilled, probably more a 10 than 12 though
Gareth Owen - Not prem standard
Ben Stevenson - Unproven - only one way to find out
Wakecoke - Unproven - Only one way to find out
Charlie Wilson - The pick of the lot really...currently at UNI. Cracking potential
Chindera Obonna - Further behind at the moment but a real propsect. Big lad.

I think we'll see Flood, Wakecoke, Stevenson and Lucock as the centres next season

I am all for giving youth its chance. I think Wacokecoke has earned his opportunity. He was fantastic in the championship but he needs an experienced proven player on his shoulder helping him along not just dropping him in the deep end, same goes for Connon. Flood could be that man. He was doing so in the Championship but outside of Toby thereís very little else
Also Lucock has just missed a full season with an ACL injury

Posted by: stuart66 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2020 08:06

i dont think we have a team for the prem but i dont think we are that far off and i trust and hope dean will have the time and ability too put a team together that will survive . im far more worryed about the coaching team with wells gone

Posted by: pityacker (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2020 09:03

All Falcons players are furloughed and possibly could be for some time therefore unless they were desperate for a contract who would sign up to go on furlough ?.

Posted by: matt1il (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2020 10:57

Quote:
pityacker
All Falcons players are furloughed and possibly could be for some time therefore unless they were desperate for a contract who would sign up to go on furlough ?.

Isn't it more fundamental that you can't sign (or hire) someone and them put them on furlough? So if we signed someone we'd be paying them without any games coming up.

(I presume this is the rule, I do not know)

Current Page: 1 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net