Current Page: 1 of 2
Wils and Semore in the Mail on Sunday
Posted by: markismith50 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 09:24

Mark Wilson and Semore Kurdi are interviewed in todayís Mail on Sunday. Although I wasnít able to play a part in this article due to furlough rules, itís nice to finally be able to give supporters a little bit of insight regarding the lay of the land for us, and why weíve done what weíve done.

Link: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/06/2020 09:25 by markismith50.

Re: Wils and Semore in the Mail on Sunday
Posted by: FalcDancer (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 09:57

Thanks for posting the article Smithy
I read it last night and meant to post it this morning

Sounds like we are in dire straits
Itís good to see the players and staff clubbing together to help the club out financially

Top and bottom is we need to get back playing so the club can generate money

Posted by: Osric (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 10:29

Yup - doesn't sound pretty and as support is withdrawn the future will be tough.

Rugby finances really do need a proper sort out as Covid has stress tested them to breaking point.

Posted by: AJfalc (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 10:48

Puts everything into focus, we come onto the blog worrying about the quality of rugby we might be watching when in reality the club is facing massive problems.

Posted by: A tramp abroad (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 13:02

It does put everything into focus and it is certainly a tough time, however it is heartening to read the contribution that all are making to ensure the club comes through the crisis.

A positive that could come from this situation is a very strong team spirit and togetherness when the new season eventually starts.

Posted by: matt1il (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 18:07

Still question why Saracens could get 3 competitions (with reports of a concurrently running 19/20 Prem & 20/21 Champ. plus the Europeans) between now and Dec, and we will get 0?

Hopefully this situation is seen as ridiculous as it is and sorted soon!

Posted by: NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 18:33

Anyone else think itís very unfair that we have broken no rules, yet we by comparison are going to feel the affects of our Championship season much more harshly than Sarries?

Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 18:50

I have no idea if I got to the end, just scrolling through endless adverts. I am amazed anybody has the patience to read online news to be honest.

What I did read is pretty much as expected. Maybe it will help some people to understand why we are not signing players to put tried & tested quality into every shirt. The selfish egotists who pump unsustainable amounts of money into their hijacked clubs are ruining the game for everyone else, and ultimately it will destroy the league. The Premiership used to be the toughest league in the world, and that did well for the machine at Twickenham. Twelve or thirteen clubs developing players for the future, and giving excellent experience week after week to the core of the England squad. That isn't going to happen in future, especially if the league dwindles down to the seven or so clubs who splurge excess money into the game while the rest fall by the wayside. It is not too late for the RFU to pull PRL into line, but their latest effort was easily side-stepped, the clubs taking no time to find yet another way to dodge around the rules.

Unfortunately money talks, and it is money that will eventually ruin the game. By the time the fools in charge realise this, it will be too late.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/06/2020 18:51 by Monkey1.

Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 19:55

Think I reached the end. Sounds bad. For the players' sales some friendlies are badly needed.

Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 20:01

Quote:
dick g
Think I reached the end. Sounds bad. For the players' sales some friendlies are badly needed.
Forget this. Stupid suggestion.. Who would we play against?
Brain tired.

Posted by: Andy Mac (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 20:28

try the brave browser. Almost advert free on every site, including this one.

Quote:
Monkey1
I have no idea if I got to the end, just scrolling through endless adverts. I am amazed anybody has the patience to read online news to be honest.
What I did read is pretty much as expected. Maybe it will help some people to understand why we are not signing players to put tried & tested quality into every shirt. The selfish egotists who pump unsustainable amounts of money into their hijacked clubs are ruining the game for everyone else, and ultimately it will destroy the league. The Premiership used to be the toughest league in the world, and that did well for the machine at Twickenham. Twelve or thirteen clubs developing players for the future, and giving excellent experience week after week to the core of the England squad. That isn't going to happen in future, especially if the league dwindles down to the seven or so clubs who splurge excess money into the game while the rest fall by the wayside. It is not too late for the RFU to pull PRL into line, but their latest effort was easily side-stepped, the clubs taking no time to find yet another way to dodge around the rules.

Unfortunately money talks, and it is money that will eventually ruin the game. By the time the fools in charge realise this, it will be too late.

Posted by: Leipziger (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 20:50

Doesn't make good reading, but well done (and thank you) to the players and staff for taking a hit to help keep the club going.

Posted by: Oneforthefatboys (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 06:35

I have been a critic the last few weeks but think that that has been a case of fed up over Corona. This article shows why we have had to let people go. Well done to the players and Semore. We cannot afford to lose our club and need to rally around it

Date: 29 June, 2020 06:35

I have been a critic the last few weeks but think that that has been a case of fed up over Corona. This article shows why we have had to let people go. Well done to the players and Semore. We cannot afford to lose our club and need to rally around it

Date: 29 June, 2020 06:36

Secondly I apologise

Posted by: markismith50 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 07:57

Absolutely no need to apologise. Itís a forum where each opinion is valid, and the full facts might not always be in the public domain. But thank you for the kind words.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/06/2020 08:08 by markismith50.

Posted by: JustAnotherOnlooker (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 10:11

That was depressing to read i'll admit i'm starting to think we're not coming back depsite the hard work of Kurdi and everyone else at the club.

Prem Rugby's decision to try and get the season restarted with Saracens still involved baffles me seen as we are all aware of their fate.

Articles like that also harden my position that's time to get stadiums and venues open, especially in parts of the country like the North East were cases are miniscule and deaths are almost non-exsistent. I live in Sunderland and South Tyneside's NHS trust were there hasn't been a death for a full week now and only a handful of cases.

I understand peoples reservations about attending such an event but I think a good portion of our population have completely forgotten that you take a risk everytime you go outside.

Posted by: Leipziger (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 15:26

Problem with us fulfilling the rest of Saracens' fixtures for 2019-20 is obvious - we're not as good as Saracens, and so if a team has played Saracens twice (only two teams I think but still) and their rivals for an important league position play Saracens once and us once, then it's unfair.

Posted by: Barry555 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 17:17

Problem is I would have thought you have to finish the season with that seasons rules/regs/teams intact. Otherwise itís not classed as ďfair competitionĒ of sorts.
I know people will have their dig at Saracens again but theyíve taken their punishment so people should move on. Canít blame them for a pandemic.

Perhaps the club may have had some compensation from PRL for the position we find ourselves at no fault of our own. Perhaps we could have agreed a larger portion of the tv money from next season? Itís a crazy situation with no clear idea of whatís gone on behind closed doors.

As Iíve stated in previous posts Iím not expecting huge signings. Iím happy to get back to any form of rugby and if that means a dwindled and depleted Falcons in the Prem next season then so be it. But itís clear as day from this article that theyíll need our support more then ever.

Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 18:34

Just get the rest of the prem games played, sooner rather than later, then the central money can be doled out by PRL & we can get on with next season. I honestly don't give a proverbial toss what format those games take, just get the blasted things out of the way, contractual requirements met, we move on.

Hopefully.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net