Current Page: 1 of 4
Ringfencing is coming!
Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 08:46

Wow! So the fence appears to be going up, not at the bottom of the Prem, but the top of the Championship. After an agreement of Champ clubs yesterday, their league is set to reject relegation from the Premiership. Fascinatingly, it will do exactly what I have suggested the Prem should do.

There will be two conferences and playoffs at the end of the season. Promotion from National League One will come over time for clubs which meet Championship criteria.

The aim is for the Championship to consist of 16 clubs. Players will not be full-time.

Championship reps meet with RFU dudes today and will also meet with Prem. The idea is to have an agreement by the end of August and the new structure in place for 21-22.

This seems in My Not Very Humble Opinion to be a logical and constructive step in the development of the professional game. The Premiership is being forced into a corner. And it is good.

Thanks Champs.

Re: Ringfencing is coming!
Posted by: GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 09:34

Where did you get this info?

So are they actually saying they dont want relegation from the prem?

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 09:45

Is this the 'Heartland League' floated in TRP a few days ago?

It didn't seem like a fully-realised proposal from the article.

Date: 23 July, 2020 10:11

Well its actaully addressed in the Telegraph today. So seems a legitimate proposal .

They do need to restructure, due to the lack of money.

Date: 23 July, 2020 10:30

Got my version fromTimes reporting on Championship clubs' meeting yesterday. It was forecast without details in TRP. No way Times would invent this story without risk of alienating Championship.

To add to speculation, I believe that the new structure will begin with Sarries re-admission to Prem. Would also make sense - so won't happen - for Prem to invite Ealing Travelagents into its ranks to give us a 14 club league.

Interesting times, peeps.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 17:56

The idea that Championship clubs who were opposed to ringfencing the Premiership now want the Championship to be ringfenced is somewhat interesting!

Posted by: Barry555 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 18:03

Quote:
SimonG19
The idea that Championship clubs who were opposed to ringfencing the Premiership now want the Championship to be ringfenced is somewhat interesting!

I think the whole pandemic has shown some major frailties in clubs and they now are starting to understand that they are nowhere near close enough to prem standard.

Ring fencing was never about closing promotion to the top league. It was about closing the gap between the Prem and the Champ. The gap is too big. And I think the champ clubs are now starting to come round to the idea that they need a system thatís going to help them develop and push on. The league has so much potential.

Date: 23 July, 2020 19:17

Quote:
SimonG19

I suspect that the Champ clubs have tired of the annual visit of a Prem cuckoo to their nest and with the mega-cuckoo of Sarries about to arrive and slaughter all around them have decided that enough is enough. Quite right too.

Posted by: trummy200 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 21:59

dick g - right on the button

Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 July, 2020 08:36

Agreed Dick. The little bit that I have seen suggests the Championship clubs object to one visiting club steam-rollering all the others, then another doing the same next season, and so on forever. There must be safety concerns too. Every club we played last season seemed to put out their strongest team & give it the beans, and the next week they would have players missing through injury, and often lost their next game by a shed load of points. As the Championship clubs return to a more amateur basis, with fewer full-time players who can train to high standards, it is simply not safe to pitch these guys against teams of bigger & fitter players who hit harder. It is just a matter of time before it ends up in tragedy, so if that is where the clubs are coming from it makes perfect sense.

Posted by: RiponFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 24 July, 2020 08:49

I have tended to be against ringfencing. There have been times when avoiding relegation has been the highlight of the season. However as a realist it is the only sensible option so letís get on with it

Date: 24 July, 2020 09:32

Well the big thing will be IF ringfencing does come in...will that change the way Dean plays the game.

Knowing he doesnt need to pick games to target where he'll pick up points for survival , will he operate a more go for it game?

Date: 24 July, 2020 11:22

An interesting question arose from another forum...

The Southern Conference would be easy to pick... as theres loads of teams in the higher leagues .

But which teams would be included in the Northern Conference if it was 8 teams?

You would think :
Doncaster
Rotherham
Leeds
Darlington MP

Who else?
Hull Ionians?
Sale FC?
Blaydon..?

Do you pick teams from lower down who have the right stadiums and potential ??
Do you cluster several teams together to make a "super club"?

Posted by: CharlieDog (IP Logged)
Date: 24 July, 2020 11:49

Not only that, at the end of the season the 'relegated' side is from the northern conference but the promoted side is, say, Plymouth (just picking an extremely southern side) - does the next most northerly side switch conferences?

Posted by: matt1il (IP Logged)
Date: 24 July, 2020 11:54

Good point, if they just went for geographical split of the 11 other Championship sides and 5 top in NL1 for last season then you'd get a split at about Oxfordshire. If Leeds didn't make it in (due to their financial situation) it could even be the Thames river through London so Ealing could be "Northern"!

Not much travelling costs saved there for the Northern teams.

A bit like the Football Conference Regionals where Oxford City are in the South and Brackley (in north Oxfordshire) are in the North and played Gateshead this season. Or a few seasons ago where Bishop's Stortford (a town just outside the M25) were in the North division.

Posted by: CharlieDog (IP Logged)
Date: 24 July, 2020 12:05

Are we sure the plan is to stop promotion to the Premiership or just restructure the league?

Reading another forum suggests "It seems the proposal includes promotion to the Premiership based on a complicated mechanism but clubs will be judged according to performance on the field, crowd figures, stadium and training ground, infrastructure and financial resources. If a club is promoted by that mechanism, they will operate off a level playing field when they get to the Premiership"

So, an agreed MSC to avoid another London Welsh, which may or may not result in promotion - but who is judge over who meets the criteria?

Date: 24 July, 2020 12:37

Quote:
CharlieDog
Are we sure the plan is to stop promotion to the Premiership or just restructure the league?
Reading another forum suggests "It seems the proposal includes promotion to the Premiership based on a complicated mechanism but clubs will be judged according to performance on the field, crowd figures, stadium and training ground, infrastructure and financial resources. If a club is promoted by that mechanism, they will operate off a level playing field when they get to the Premiership"

So, an agreed MSC to avoid another London Welsh, which may or may not result in promotion - but who is judge over who meets the criteria?

As far as I understand, the promotion critetia described here are for clubs comkng up to the Champ from Nat One not from Champ to Prem. Mind, I hope this happens. I have always favoured organic growth.

By the way, a two conference structure for the Prem which I hope will appear some day shouldn't be too hard to organise on the lines of Midlands and the North in one conf and London and the South West in the other.

Posted by: Barry555 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 July, 2020 13:49

I believe itís getting closer to ďfranchisingĒ in which if teams want to play in the Prem they need to meet multiple criteria like facilities/ticket sales and of course performance. So itís not closing the door on the Champ itís just making sure when they step through the door they are as equipped as possible to compete.

As the Prem increases conferencing will probably have to come in as Dick_g ways. Which in itself could be interesting.

Champ clubs probably thought they could give us a good go when we came down. Now itís Saracens I doubt theyíll have that attitude.

Posted by: Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 July, 2020 14:53

It might be nice to travel and get a chance to see premiership stadiums for championship teams but there can be little fun in knowing the result before you go, getting smashed all afternoon and picking up a string of injuries due to a physical mis match.
For every championship team we played it was like their cup final and for us , each game blunted our premiership attack as you can only play what's infront of you. Some seemed upset when the championship season Finished early but anyone who thought that a team other than us would be top of the league at the end of the season would be living in a fantasy world.
The gulf is too big between premiership and championship and the only thing that relegation does is financially impact a team for a year which could result in redundancies and less work in the community .

Date: 24 July, 2020 15:41

Quote:
Rafpilot2000
It might be nice to travel and get a chance to see premiership stadiums for championship teams but there can be little fun in knowing the result before you go, getting smashed all afternoon and picking up a string of injuries due to a physical mis match.

To be fair thats how i felt when i travelled to Exeter for our game there last season and we were in the prem then winking smileygrinning smiley

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net