Current Page: 1 of 2
New defence coach
Posted by: pityacker (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 11:04

A post on Falcons site which was quickly removed for some reason but says Nick Easter is our new defence coach.

Re: New defence coach
Posted by: aidanb (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 11:05

Minty ?

Posted by: markismith50 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 11:07

Should be putting something out later today, all being well, but it's always a nice way to get people talking!

Posted by: FalcDancer (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 11:14

There’s the link to Dean then. Former Quins
He was a good player Easter, great carrier

Posted by: GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 11:18

Thats an interesting one....

Date: 23 July, 2020 11:57

If it is indeed Easter he has had a few years experience as was defence coach at Quins after retiring until Gustard was appointed head coach then left and since has been at Natal Sharks coaching a few disciplines I think.

Posted by: AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 12:02

Interesting didn't think of Easter. Be good to see what he does with our defence.

Posted by: aidanb (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 12:04

Mark, will someone be teaching him the lingo ?

Date: 23 July, 2020 12:12

Now confirmed on website.

Posted by: Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 12:21

That’s an impressive piece of recruitment, well done to the club.

Posted by: Rogerandout (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 12:32

Happy with that. He was a good and intelligent player so hopefully with those attributes he will be a good coach.

Date: 23 July, 2020 12:36

Thats a good move. Welcome Nick.

Posted by: markismith50 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 12:57

Had a good chat with him this morning, and he’s keen as mustard to get stuck into the job.

Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 12:59

That's a class bit of recruitment, well done to those involved & welcome Nick.

Date: 23 July, 2020 13:10

Excellent...a nice brick wall defence will do nicely.

Now to get Mr Walder to get the boys playing a bit more pacy, heads up, supporting attack...

Simples - title is ours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2020 13:10 by GeordieFalcon.

Posted by: BorderFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 13:37

Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Excellent...a nice brick wall defence will do nicely.
Now to get Mr Walder to get the boys playing a bit more pacy, heads up, supporting attack...

Simples - title is ours.

This.

Great piece of business strengthening the coaching team but also as a statement of intent which won’t hurt recruitment at all.

Posted by: matt1il (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 13:52

Great stuff, seems to be we're picking up the good uns from the (rumoured) fall out of Super Rugby.

Posted by: saruman (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 14:00

Quote:
Rogerandout
Happy with that. He was a good and intelligent player so hopefully with those attributes he will be a good coach.

Intelligent ?
[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: Falcona (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 14:29

Official Announcement
For immediate release: Thursday 23 July, 2020
Issued on behalf of Newcastle Falcons

Nick Easter joins Newcastle Falcons as defence coach

Nick Easter will be Newcastle Falcons’ defence coach following the club’s promotion back into the Gallagher Premiership - the former England No 8 returning to his homeland after a successful spell coaching in South Africa.

The 41-year-old won 54 England caps between 2007 and 2015, playing in three Rugby World Cups and making 281 appearances for Harlequins.

Spending two seasons as defence coach with the London club following his retirement as a player in 2016, Easter has been in Durban for the past two seasons, helping Natal Sharks win the 2018 Currie Cup final as well as serving as forwards and defence coach for the Sharks in Super Rugby.

Newcastle Falcons director of rugby Dean Richards welcomed news of Easter’s imminent arrival on Tyneside, saying: “He has a good few years’ coaching experience under his belt at a high level, and will add a lot to our group.

“I worked with Nick at Harlequins during his playing career, and he’s a great character who really understands the game. He has since gone on and broadened his coaching horizons in South Africa, and will bring a fresh pair of eyes at a really important time for the club.

“I’m really excited about what Nick can bring as we embark on our preparation for the 2020-21 Premiership season, and it’s an exciting time for the club.”

Newcastle’s return to the 2020-21 Gallagher Premiership was confirmed back in April, the Falcons standing 18 points clear at the top of the Championship table after winning all 15 of their league games prior to the season ending early due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Delighted to have agreed his move to Kingston Park, Easter said: “It’s great to have the opportunity to coach back in the Premiership – especially working with a guy like Dean and at a club like Newcastle.

“I have a great relationship with Dean having played under him at Harlequins, and he’s doing great work up there with a couple of promotions and a top-four Premiership finish. It’s a club on the rise, I and I want to play my part in helping the growth of rugby in the North East.

“I’ve had a great experience in South Africa over the last few years, and learned a lot from being involved in Super Rugby. I’ll now be looking to take that and grow it further by working with an outstanding group of coaches and players at the Falcons, and it’s an exciting prospect.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2020 14:30 by Falcona.

Posted by: Leipziger (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 14:36

Big name, hopefully someone with lots of contacts and of course skill with running a defence. Good news.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net