Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Dai is aware of the issues
Posted by: Dobbin (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 11:27

Quote:
Ask yourself if you bring players in surely you must believe in their potential. Yet we see a revolving door policy at the moment. Some of these players who I may add are drawing a wage hardly play more than a handful of games before being released. Someone is responsible for those decisions.

Perhaps, rather than believing in their potential, you bring them in because you need numbers, you can't sign anyone else because the club has almost gone bust, and you play them only if you really need to. That's been the situation in some cases. The more pertinent question now is, are the players being brought in better than those they're replacing? In the vast number of cases, I think that is now true.

Quote:
Take last Saturday some of the players selected have not had enough game time over the past few months so another bad rugby decision to send an under cooked team. Lambs to the slaughter.

I agree that a number of the players at Northampton were undercooked. That and the fact that some are possibly leaving, and the fact that we had nothing to play for, means that using that game as the basis for a judgement on anything is nonsensical. Last weekend was a one-off.

Posted by: Chilham (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 11:45

Quote:
WWWU
...I look forward to hearing the man from Kent...

Being from Beckenham, he's a Kentish Man, not a Man from Kent.

Posted by: Andy1210 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 11:55

I still think next season will provide us with a clearer picture. Both camps have valid opinions, both around developing and building a squad but also some totally inept, and quite frankly appalling performances and losing sequences.

Dai cannot be blamed for everything, but nor can he be absolved of responsibility either.

Where he has made two big mistakes for me, is in appointing Stephen Jones as attack coach - but maybe he was justified in giving him a chance, and his constant talking in the press about a lack of quality players and getting more in. Frankly, players are not going to be too chuffed to hear that they aren't deemed quality. A little more tact may be a better approach.

I would prefer to hear Dai say After Northampton 'I was embarrassed by that performance' than 'we'. I want to know he's not happy and is going to do something - just a matter of taking ownership and showing who's boss.

IMHO of course.

Posted by: Raggs (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 12:07

For Dai to say "I was embarrassed" would almost suggest to me that he was putting the blame on the players, saying "we" makes it more a collective shame (including Dai). Don't know why it sounds that way to me, just does.

Attack is a very hard part of the game to coach, the hardest in fact. Add to that, we now have a defence coach who'll be wanting to do a lot of work with the squad (and rightly so). Then throw in the fact that Jones needs to know what the makeup of the squad will be even the forwards (Johnson, Hughes and Haskell is a very different setup to Johnson, Jones and Thompson). And finally the fact that our backline hasn't exactly been stable through the season either... two very different fly halves and generally missing our prime attacking threats that I would guess a lot of the pre-season revolved around.

On that, can you imagine the preseason? Masi at 12 providing us good go forwards, Daly running lines from 15, Varndell picking off cross field kicks from Goode, and Wade finding work all over the pitch (something Helu unfortunately doesn't do as well). Suddenly Masi is at 15 and Daly is gone, then Masi is gone, then Varndell and Wade are out, then our midfield goes through god knows how many different combinations... pretty much anything done in the preseason would have been wiped out in the first month or two.

I would expect to see an improvement in our attack next season, and I would also hope our defence. If we aren't seeing any bite when there's more stability, I'll agree that he's not the right man.

Posted by: Beckenham Wasp (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 12:46

Quote:
P T A W
Bw hardly all inspiring to win to 2nd rate competitions seems to pale into insignificance. I suppose you would rate his achievements in coaching along side Guy Noves, Dean Richards or maybe Warren Gatland.
As to being ignorant on the subject I think you may be shocked.
Try talking to a few from the Blues when Dai left a lot didn't seem that bothered.
The point is he has had budgets to work with but with no great sucsess. Obviously if you could point out the fact that he had won The European cup once my argument would be blown out of the water.
Just in case you forgot and would like to also add these facts to his coaching accolades. 9 straight losses last season, the most woeful inept home performance against a 14 man struggling London Irish, oh and a record premiership defeat..!!! Just saying.

Well you said he didn't win any silverware when he did. He won two cup finals away from home. Beating Toulon in Marseille was no mean achievement. As was thrashing Gloucester at Twickenham.

This year Wasps have out performed both Gloucester and Exeter and have finished 7th. That is a good result as both Gloucester and Exeter have had much more stability on and off the field for the last few years.

The time to judge Dai Young is at the end of next season. If we aren't in contention for a top 6 finish by the last game of the season Dai's position will then come under review. If he has as bad a season as Nigel Davies has just had at Gloucester he will be gone.

Posted by: WiseWasps! (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 13:23

PTAW your crazy to think the blues have a big budget. As all the Welsh regions have shown the money dried up a long time ago.
Given the budget and size of squad his achievements during that era were well recognised by pundits in the rugby world.

And I don't quite get your point where you say the team fielded against Northampton wasn't weak and should have done better and then a sentence later suggest they were like lambs to slaughter.

Who would you prefer to replace him out of interest?

Posted by: P T A W (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 13:31

WWWU scab now! You are really showing your rugby intellect.!!
DGP Wasp I think your quote was " without the luxury of being able to attract headline names" I only suggested the names I quoted were headline names and suggest you would find that difficult to argue against. Regardless what stage of their career they are at. Seem to recall Rob Howley, Phil Vickery and others coming to wasps late in their careers and making big impacts. All the players you are now making representation for we're I remind you signed by guess who. But I have no problems with any of the players it's to the DOR to get the best out of them..!!
Bwasp I think if you re-read my post you will see I wrote MUCH silverware, subtle difference.. Though I accept my Grammar is not always perfect but I didn't think this was the purpose of the forum.
WiseWasp you are correct about the budgets of welsh regions at this present time. Though the period I refer to I'm sure the Blues finances were far more healthier..!!

Posted by: WiseWasps! (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 14:23

Well I assure you I have many welsh relatives who have followed a number of Welsh regions including the blues and it has been the case pretty much since they became the blues and formed a region rather than be Cardiff the the main backer has lost interest and the money dried up. Not forgetting they still managed to beat Toulon in the amlin final. Amlin or not they are still one of the strongest teams in northern hemisphere. Plus only missed out on a place in the final of the heni through penalty shoot outs. So I just suggest you do a bit more research before making comments which are clearly in accurate.
Also I think it has been highlighted by pretty much each player how dai has been a big influence in alot of players signing.
And Stephen Jones is a tough one i agree it's been a disruptive season for him. But also consider if we didn't have Money to sign new players then there might not have been budget for a new already established backs coach.

Posted by: WONKYWASP1 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 14:35

Just out of interest PTAW, were you at the Saints match?[i][/i]

Posted by: WWWU (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 14:50

The reference to scab was not specifically aimed at you if you read my original post, and really has nothing to do with my Rugby intellect.... Probably just an analogy.

The problem you have is you don't know when to call it a day so the scab (this thread) keeps bleeding. You are reactive not proactive offering nothing in advance of for example the Saints game suggesting a possible team just straight in with the "Sack Dai" reaction your main input all season.

For what it's worth I don't think we would have won which ever team we sent to Saints just would have lost by a smaller totally irrelevant margin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2014 14:51 by WWWU.

Posted by: Bandy (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 15:04

The point about silverware is ridiculous. Any silverware is extremely hard to achieve, regardless of the quality of opposition, and as has been pointed out, this wasn't exactly lacking. Winning 2 trophies of any kind is a big achievement.

Posted by: Geoff P (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 15:32

To be honest I think most supporters have come to the conclusion by now that Dai is a tad out of his depth as the brains behind a Premiership team, but on the other hand has an excellent understanding of tight forward play (perhaps hardly surprisingly you might say) and with an fine eye for a good forward.

He's not awful, and he'll never be brilliant. A sort of manager version of a few Wasps players I could mention...

In the course of time those players will move on, and I suspect the same will apply to Dai.

But like some of those players, there's no doubting the commitment and effort he's put in on behalf of our team, so good luck to him.

Posted by: Hangover (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 15:43

Wow, I have been without the internet for 5 days. Am I pleased I missed this thread !!!!!

Posted by: P T A W (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 16:28

Not so wise Wasp please take a look at this link [www.walesonline.co.uk]
What comments are clearly inaccurate ?
WWU I agree that we possibly may not have won at Saints whatever side we fielded but we will never know as that is purely hypothetical.
Bandy I agree winning 2 trophies is difficult. The point I make is the Anglo Welsh or the amlin cannot be compared with winning the Heineken or the premiership. Accepted maybe that comment was a bit flippant. Just purely trying to point out The Blues had Players and budget at the time.
Geoff P I believe you talk perfect sense and maybe their is a case to keep Dai as a forwards coach and bring in someone with the skill set required to take us the extra mile.
Wonky Wasp the beauty of live television allowed me the comfort of watching it from home. So in answer no I was not at Franklin Gardens. Is that relevant?

Posted by: waspman (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 16:42

Its a shame we couldnt have mixed and matched the coaches over the last couple of years

Young DOR
Woodman Forwards
Davis Defence
Howarth Backs

That could work

I think woodman was dealt a cr@p hand at the time.

Posted by: Beckenham Wasp (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 17:03

Quote:
Geoff P
To be honest I think most supporters have come to the conclusion by now that Dai is a tad out of his depth as the brains behind a Premiership team, but on the other hand has an excellent understanding of tight forward play (perhaps hardly surprisingly you might say) and with an fine eye for a good forward.
He's not awful, and he'll never be brilliant. A sort of manager version of a few Wasps players I could mention...

In the course of time those players will move on, and I suspect the same will apply to Dai.

But like some of those players, there's no doubting the commitment and effort he's put in on behalf of our team, so good luck to him.

Have they? Wasps have finished the season 7th when most reasonable people thought they would finish 9th or 8th. Also he has had to play nearly the whole seasons without his two greatest attacking weapons, Wade and Varndell.

From last season the side has completely changed the way it has played as the playing and coaching staff has been turned over. With all the ducks finally lined up in a row next season will be Dai's true test as a DOR. If the team under perform next season then we can start making loads of noises about how cr*p he is.

Posted by: WONKYWASP1 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 17:17

Yes, PTAW, it is relevant - if you are knocking the team. You will, of course, have read all the threads about that match and will therefore have read my previous comments on our return from watching said match. There is no need in my repeating them.

Posted by: McWasp (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 17:18

STOP FEEDING THE TROLL !!!!

Posted by: Dobbin (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 17:23

Quote:
I think woodman was dealt a cr@p hand at the time

Hmmm. He had a job on his hands, true, but I think our forward play has improved immeasurably since Dai took over.

Posted by: waspman (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 17:30

Guys ... PTAW has some valid points and is not a troll.

No-one on this forum knows whether Dai can takes us to the next level because he hasnt done it yet. Some will have their reservations and doubts and others will back him regardless.

Everyone one is entitled to their opinion .... opinion doesnt equal troll.

Current Page: 7 of 8
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net