Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: Dai is aware of the issues
Posted by: waspman (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 18:32

Quote:
Dobbin
Quote:
I think woodman was dealt a cr@p hand at the time

Hmmm. He had a job on his hands, true, but I think our forward play has improved immeasurably since Dai took over.

With a better pack ... woodman was involved through the dark years and I think he should have been given another year although I dont why he left .. maybe it was his choice. Glaws supporters seem to think he has done a good job down there.

Posted by: Raggs (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 18:43

Quote:
Geoff P
To be honest I think most supporters have come to the conclusion by now that Dai is a tad out of his depth as the brains behind a Premiership team, but on the other hand has an excellent understanding of tight forward play (perhaps hardly surprisingly you might say) and with an fine eye for a good forward.
He's not awful, and he'll never be brilliant. A sort of manager version of a few Wasps players I could mention...

In the course of time those players will move on, and I suspect the same will apply to Dai.

But like some of those players, there's no doubting the commitment and effort he's put in on behalf of our team, so good luck to him.

I agree that Dai has a fine eye for a forward. But I don't think he (or whoever is scouting) has too bad an eye for backs either. Helu has impressed, and doesn't look out of place in the slightest, Bassett looked good to me, and whilst he may not be the finished article, he showed a lot of promise and determination. Leiua was signed whilst he was mostly benching for the hurricane. Miller I believe was rumoured before his impressive saxons games.

I'd guess that very few of these players would be signing at the same sum even just a season later. Hayter who hasn't gone so strongly, is getting better and better and looking more like the finished article with each game.

Posted by: Raggs (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 18:45

Quote:
waspman
Quote:
Dobbin
Quote:

Hmmm. He had a job on his hands, true, but I think our forward play has improved immeasurably since Dai took over.

With a better pack ... woodman was involved through the dark years and I think he should have been given another year although I dont why he left .. maybe it was his choice. Glaws supporters seem to think he has done a good job down there.

A better pack? Arguable, and perhaps only better due to coaching... our maul work (both attack and defence) has drastically improved.

Personally I think the issue was less Woodmans ability, or Dai's, but rather they were both coaching, and that's going to lead to some issues.

Posted by: Dobbin (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 18:52

Quote:
waspman
Quote:
Dobbin
Quote:

He's done a good job on their scrum, which was always his forte. I'm not sure how much he has to do with their general forward play, which is still pretty awful.

I also think the improvement in our pack this season is down to a lot more than a few new faces. They simply look better organised most of the time (London Irish and Sale at home had a hint of last year about them, I'll admit). Our mauling is better, as is much of our contact work: we've even gone through multiple phases on occasion.

As to why Woodman left, Young said that it was always the plan for him to take over at the stage he did.

Posted by: McWasp (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 19:03

Quote:
waspman
Guys ... PTAW has some valid points and is not a troll.
No-one on this forum knows whether Dai can takes us to the next level because he hasnt done it yet. Some will have their reservations and doubts and others will back him regardless.

Everyone one is entitled to their opinion .... opinion doesnt equal troll.

It's also very difficult not to come to that conclusion when over 70% of a small amount of posts on this site is for Dais head

I am not Rose tinted, but believe we are not wendyball either

Posted by: WiseWasps! (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 19:11

PTAW I checked out the Wales online link? What am I looking for because I couldn't see anything relevant to your point. I might be missing something though.

Posted by: P T A W (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 19:16

Wise wasp the blues budget was cut once Dai left.

Posted by: wombles222 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2014 19:28

I think Dai has done and is doing a very good job, and has shown considerable loyalty and determination to the club through very dark days indeed.
He has recruited well, and has made us competitive again within 2 seasons of nearly going into oblivion. This year he beat all the pre season expert predictions and managed to do that with injuries to key players.
he now has us set up for what should be an enthralling two legged affair with Stade which has brought more money into the coffers with EMC becoming involved again (which to be fair is also through the hard work of the off field staff), however this will generate more revenue for the club and also vital tv time which advertises the club even more to investors, potential players and future supporters alike.
We are very lucky to have Dai, and he is part of the upward trajectory we are now on. There has been no flash in the pan success, he is a realist and is building a team with firm foundations.

Date: 13 May, 2014 21:17

It says it was cut that doesn't mean it hadn't already been cut on previous years. Plus there's no mention of what there original budget is on. If they operate around the 3mil Mark don't you think that is relatively low considering they beat a team on a budget more than ten times that? That article doesn't support a single point you made.

Posted by: Geoff P (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2014 17:18

Quote:
wombles222
I think Dai has done and is doing a very good job, and has shown considerable loyalty and determination to the club through very dark days indeed.
He has recruited well, and has made us competitive again within 2 seasons of nearly going into oblivion. This year he beat all the pre season expert predictions and managed to do that with injuries to key players.
he now has us set up for what should be an enthralling two legged affair with Stade which has brought more money into the coffers with EMC becoming involved again (which to be fair is also through the hard work of the off field staff), however this will generate more revenue for the club and also vital tv time which advertises the club even more to investors, potential players and future supporters alike.
We are very lucky to have Dai, and he is part of the upward trajectory we are now on. There has been no flash in the pan success, he is a realist and is building a team with firm foundations.

Laudable positive support, although I personally suspect the reality of Dai's contribution is rather more nuanced than that - hence a lot of the comments on here.

Date: 14 May, 2014 20:39

wisewasp, unfortunately I don't have access to The Blues accounts, though i'm sure with your many welsh contacts you do.
Though i thought it only wright to try to gain access, so I have emailed Peter Thomas, to please reveal the playing budgets through Dai's tenure. If and when he replies I will report back.
If as you said they were operating on a budget of 3 million,although i would agree it was not inline with the French clubs. ( although at the period you talk of the french had a wage cap of 7 million pounds, not 10 x as much as you state) The Blues budget was not to dissimilar to the premiership wage cap.
I would also like to point out the playing squads that Dai had whilst at the Blues were actually quite strong:
05-06: [www.rugbynetwork.net]
07-08: [www.rugbynetwork.net]
08-09: [www.rugbynetwork.net]
09-10: [www.rugbynetwork.net]

So to suggest he was hampered by a weak playing squad whilst having, I believe 9yrs to recruit, nurture, and develop a winning culture and legacy is not quite the case.
As i have said in an earlier post when i suggested certain followers of the Blues were not to sad to see him go. Though I was accused of holy inaccurate information.
Please take the time to read:
[www.petitiononline.com]
Please note that these are the opinions and comments of other people not mine. This is not the only source availiable were people question Dais ability.
I just thought I would bring some other view points to the forum from a source where Dai was given the time to deliver.
As I have said numerous times, in my opinion there just comes a time when you need something or someone to take you that extra mile.
As the title of this thread "Dai is aware of the issues", its all well and good being aware of the issues its a completely different thing to be able to rectify them.
Anyway enough from me on this subject.
On a positive lets go and smash Stade off the park Sunday.
COYW.

Date: 14 May, 2014 22:14

Funny thing is I believe that petition was started before dai began winning silverware.

Posted by: tobywasp (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2014 22:34

I have to say I have heard from Blues supporters that they were glad to see him go.

Interestingly one post says "Take Howley with him too". I expect the poster did not mean off to the Wales set up... Just making a point about how coaches can change and improve

Posted by: Andy1210 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2014 00:12

My mate who was a Blues ST holder was overjoyed he left and came to us. At the time he said Dai had massively underachieved with one of the best squads in Wales and we would never finish in the top four under him.

Let's see what happens next season..

Date: 14 December, 2019 19:25

Whatís changed since this thread!
Lol!

Posted by: Brumwasp (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 23:30

Quote:
P T A W
Whatís changed since this thread!
Lol!
Well itís been going ok for a while then itís taken a bit of a dip.

Posted by: Buzzboy (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 23:31

Not a lot....
Howley been sent home from a World Cup?!

Posted by: WaspieMatt (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2019 08:26

Ermmmm.....a lot of the posters who were about in 2014 have for whatever reason ceased to post on this forum.

Current Page: 8 of 8
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net