V warriors
Posted by: Laterontoday (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2019 14:35

What a boring boring game this is!

Re: V warriors
Posted by: WaspieMatt (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2019 14:40

Pretty dire so far. No phases, no fluidity and being turned over far too easily.

Date: 12 October, 2019 14:54

An injury break every time the ball goes out of play or at a scrum. Ref needs to get a grip. First half taken 54 minutes of dire rubbish by both teams.

Date: 12 October, 2019 14:59

I must admit, given the team we have out there and the fact we start the Premiership proper next week- thereís a lot more questions than answers after that first 40.
Positives: weíve restricted them to 3 points, and no serious injuries to any of our players. Billy Searle doing okay.
Negatives: we look like weíve never played together, turnovers, inability to cross the gain line, turnovers (have I mentioned that already?), no apparent plan going forward.....
Bring on the second half!

Date: 12 October, 2019 15:36

Second half- a different team!

Date: 12 October, 2019 15:56

Weíll done boys! Much much better second half.

Date: 12 October, 2019 16:39

Much better second half and much better once the replacements came on, started playing with some intensity and pace. Score flatters a bit as woss were awful for the full 100 mins.

Date: 12 October, 2019 17:10

What did for us last season- as well as the injuries we suffered was our inability to produce an 80 minute performance- today exactly the same happened. Against any other team than the Worcester side that failed to turn up today we would have been hugely on the back foot after an inept first 40.
That said, the second half was a revelation- whether Dai got the hairdryer out or some of the senior players got a grip I donít know but you could see their attitude was completely different after the break.
I thought Marcus Watson was very assured at 15 (albeit against weak opponents) and took his 3 tries very well and I thought Vailanu looked good at 8. Matthews for me has to start at lock and is far better in Wasps colours than he ever was at Quins and I thought Nemo was superb when he came on to the field today.
All told- if we play like we did in the second half against most teams we will be a real handful, like we did in the first- it will be a long old season.

Posted by: Matt82 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2019 17:19

I think people are being harsh about the first half performance. That win was based on good defence in the first half and people might say Worcester are a poor side but I don't think there are poor teams this season. Worcester caused Chiefs all kinds of problems last week and we negated their threats with quick line speed, double up tackling and a strong set piece. It didn't flow attacking wise in the first half and I do think we look better with a playmaker at 12 whether that be Gopperth/Booj or someone else. I thought Booj had his best game in a Wasps shirt and he and Lima allowed the attack to flow well in the second half. Watson is getting better and better now he's had that run of games. I really like him at 15 as he can get his hands on the ball more often and go either way. For me though the platform was set in the first half with a strong defensive shift albeit the attack wasn't quite firing.

Posted by: wombles222 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2019 17:39

The premiership cup has shown us where we are and where we need to go! My hopes for this season is to build and build and build and build! You cannot win anything in the first half of the season, and with all the new players and commencement of a new era at our club ambition must be tempered and goals adjusted.
My hope for this season is to see our team develop, a firm long standing blueprint take shape, new leaders emerging, a key core of long term senior players evolving with a firm nod to constantly conveybelting academy graduates into the senior squad over mass ins and outs every season. I would love to see performances moving forward and constant learning and development.

Position wise I would love top 6 and for us to go deep into the challenge cup and maybe win the thing! Top 4 is the stuff of dreams and would be a boon, but firm foundations and forward momentum is manna from heaven for the 19/20 season for me!

Posted by: Shugs (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2019 17:56

Second half was excellent, first half functional. I think the only positions we don't have excellent options in are 2nd row and 12. Elsewhere Dai looks to have done a great job. Vailanu looked good second half and Watson was great. Special mention to Shields who, for me, was man of the match. Very encouraging.

Date: 12 October, 2019 18:18

Iím not saying defensively we didnít do okay in the first half but letís be honest Worcester were not at the races and I donít feel we were particularly tested. We were very poor going forward in the first half.

Posted by: wombles222 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2019 19:06

I just wonder if its worth giving Watson a run at 15 this year?...thoughts?

Date: 12 October, 2019 19:12

Quote:
wombles222

Well he certainly did the business there today. Question is whether you want him there or on the wing? For me heís still a winger with Miller starting at 15 but on todayís showing heís more than capable of filling in there.

Posted by: backdoc (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2019 21:36

As long as he is on the pitch.

On Matthews: from Coventry Live

"5. Charlie Matthews - 8

His best performance in a Wasps shirt. A strong presence in the lineout, he put in some stellar defensive work including some fine cover tackles, most notably on Worcester sub Jono Kitto. Also carried well and offered himself up in support. Really impressive from the former Harlequins lock. Went the full 80 too."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2019 21:40 by backdoc.

Posted by: Matt82 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2019 22:52

Quote:
WaspieMatt
Quote:
wombles222

Well he certainly did the business there today. Question is whether you want him there or on the wing? For me heís still a winger with Miller starting at 15 but on todayís showing heís more than capable of filling in there.

I think as good a squad player Miller is id be worried if he started a lot of our games at 15. His defence is very poor and he won't offer as much as Minozzi or Watson going forward. I actually think Miller's better performances for us of late have been at 10.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net