Current Page: 1 of 2
Sarries at it again - They just can't help themselves.
Posted by: Petergwilson (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 13:22

They played an ineligible player in the final round of the Champions Cup pool stages.

We got kicked out of the Powergen Cup in 2004 for playing Jonny Barrett in a match against Bristol (I know, I was there) when he was ineligible. I guess that means they will be kicked out too (I bet they aren't).

Sarries
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Wasps
[news.bbc.co.uk]

Re: Sarries at it again - They just can't help themselves.
Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 13:51

Was he ineligible for the Cheats because Nigel hadn't bought him a house?

Posted by: FishingWasp (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 14:07

Will be interesting to see if this breach of employment law is followed up by the relevant authorities.

Unlike our infringement, which was playing an player who was ineligible due to his playing for another club, and could have been an oversight, with work permits an employer (and therefore the relevant managers and HR) knows the black and white date that it expires from day one, so no excuses. Of course it may not have breached the competition rules, though I'm sure someone will clarify that.

I hope that they simply admit/accept and drop out of the competition, just as we did those years ago. However, yet another example of Sarries thinking that they are above the law, whether that be Rugby Law or National law!!

Posted by: PhilH (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 14:14

Reckless I say, reckless!!

Posted by: Buzzboy (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 16:36

Previous cases have resulted in points deductions. If Saracens were docked points, Glasgow could go through instead. The hearing is at 6:15 this evening. Could make the Calcutta cup even more tasty if Saracens get their just deserts!

Posted by: ukms (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 16:40

Just bloody hilarious smiling smiley

Posted by: PhilH (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 16:43

Too busy hiding salaries to worry about a minor offence like this?

Posted by: Skippy (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 17:00

Given that they haven’t shown contrition and withdrawn themselves and their financially doped squad from the Premiership Cup (they play tonight FFS), the only way they’re leaving the Champions Cup is if someone has the guts to fling them out.

Posted by: hodges (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 17:42

This is becoming a real embassamnet for the sport of rugby.Unless really firm action is taken NOW the Champions league will be stained-if it is not already.I really do not know why Glasgow have not sued as they have been directly effected negatively by the salary cap breach.
Interesting to speculate as to whether the authorities will stand up to saracens money men or fold as they have repeatedly done in the past

Posted by: wombles222 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 17:47

Whether 1 day or 1 month a non registered player is a non registered player, and as he played and had an effect on the game and thus the outcome and Sarries qualification from the group it seems rather open and closed. To my mind the question is the punishment?

Posted by: neils (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 18:49

Quote:
hodges
This is becoming a real embassamnet for the sport of rugby.Unless really firm action is taken NOW the Champions league will be stained-if it is not already.I really do not know why Glasgow have not sued as they have been directly effected negatively by the salary cap breach.
Interesting to speculate as to whether the authorities will stand up to saracens money men or fold as they have repeatedly done in the past

Given that Racing 92 were not informed and it was their match I suspect Glasgow have only found out today via the press!

Posted by: Man from LA (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 21:29

'Saracens have been fined €50,000 (euro), €25,000 of which is suspended until the end of the 2020/21 season, following an independent Disciplinary Hearing in London on the evening of Friday, 7 February, arising from the club’s Heineken Champions Cup, Round 6 match against Racing 92.'

[www.epcrugby.com]

Posted by: Skippy (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 22:16

Shame!

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 22:39

Im prepared to believe this was a genuine admin error...in that there was just a day in it.
So, points deduction in the comp would have been my punishment..
However, you do have to ask, who is running the club and how...?

Posted by: FishingWasp (IP Logged)
Date: 08 February, 2020 11:55

Quote:
John Tee
Im prepared to believe this was a genuine admin error...in that there was just a day in it.

I'm not. Having employed persons subject to time limited work permits, I am well aware of how important those dates are for both the employer and the individual. Even if Saracens had slipped up (yeah, right) the player would have it on his mind and should have reminded them!

Innocent mistake, my but!

Assuming that his permit has since been sorted, hopefully other teams, the PRL, RFU, playing them in other competitions since will be busy checking to see if he was qualified to play.

Surely now the RFU should pursue (reconsider) a "bringing the game into disrepute" charge. It is ridiculous the damage that their "recklessness" has done, and is continuing to do, to the reputation of rugby as a clean sport.

Hopefully threy will also be hit bu the removal of sponsorships eg Allianz, who rely on a good reputation.

Posted by: Man from LA (IP Logged)
Date: 08 February, 2020 12:26

Quote:
FishingWasp
Quote:
John Tee

I'm not. Having employed persons subject to time limited work permits, I am well aware of how important those dates are for both the employer and the individual. Even if Saracens had slipped up (yeah, right) the player would have it on his mind and should have reminded them!

Innocent mistake, my but!

Also, Statesman made an excellent point on the Saints forum:

'So TL played against Racing on 19/1. His WP expired on 18/1 and at that date there had been no application to extend it - had the application been in progress he would have been eligible to play.
TL plays against Quins on 26/1, we've heard nothing from the PRL so let's assume he is eligible to play in this game. That means his application to extend his WP was submitted prior to 26/1 - both TL and Saracens would have been party to the application and at this point it would have been apparent to Saracens that they had an issue.
According to EPCR they were informed of the rule breach 'earlier this week' - so the earliest they could have been informed was Monday 3/2.
So the real issue here is the delay in reporting not the original admin error.'

PRL and EPCR should get together and compare the timeline of what happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2020 12:27 by Man from LA.

Date: 08 February, 2020 12:37

Agree but there is fat chance of that. You do get the impression that the EAs have some form of hold still over rugby organisations - eg where is the RFU disrepute charge??

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 08 February, 2020 13:10

I too recall the Powergen Cup expulsion that saw Bristol go through. A few years ago Bristol had a point deducted for playing an ineligible player against Wasps. He was actually a Bristol player who had been out on loan, was recalled as injury cover and played for the second half of a draw. Ineligible because he wasn't correctly re-registered.

Or London Welsh handed a 10 point deduction for fielding an ineligible player in two or three games, all of which they lost. LW told the RFU about it and everyone agreed that it was down to a single employee acting fraudulently. The player then actually became eligible after those games! But still handed a points deduction.

And Saracens is treated harshly?

Posted by: MarleyWasp (IP Logged)
Date: 08 February, 2020 17:40

Date: 08 February, 2020 18:21

The translation is spectacular. Not happy bunnies.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net