Current Page: 1 of 3
Swing Low, Sweet Chariot,
Posted by: greenwood (IP Logged)
Date: 18 June, 2020 19:44

The Rugby Football Union (RFU) is reviewing England fans' use of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, saying many do not know about its links with slavery.
A spokesperson for English rugby's governing body said the organisation needs to do more to "grow awareness".
The Black Lives Matter movement has been embraced in several sports, with Premier League players taking a knee on Wednesday.
"We need to do more to achieve diversity," an RFU spokesperson said.
"And we are determined to accelerate change and grow awareness.
"The Swing Low, Sweet Chariot song has long been part of the culture of rugby and is sung by many who have no awareness of its origins or its sensitivities.

Re: Swing Low, Sweet Chariot,
Posted by: Heathen (IP Logged)
Date: 18 June, 2020 22:02

Quote:
greenwood
"And we are determined to accelerate change and grow awareness"

The only thing RFU need to grow is a pair of testicles!!

Posted by: Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
Date: 18 June, 2020 22:54

An American article from 2017:

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Wasp222 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 June, 2020 23:07

Quote:
Heathen
Quote:
greenwood
"And we are determined to accelerate change and grow awareness"

You are aware that the song is about slaves dreaming of escaping or Dying because they believed it was better than being in Shackles. These songs were normal sung when they saw there friends being dragged off and Tortured or killed.

It had also been seen as racist Americans from it was first sung in 1988.

Date: 19 June, 2020 07:24

That my friend is a load of cobblers...

Posted by: neils (IP Logged)
Date: 19 June, 2020 07:38

"It had also been seen as racist Americans from it was first sung in 1988"

1865 according to records.

Date: 19 June, 2020 07:49

"We need to do more to achieve diversity," an RFU spokesperson said.
How exactly ?
[i]White Anglo-Saxon Protestants (WASPs) are white North American Protestants, often of British descent. WASP elites have long dominated American society, culture, and politics, maintaining a monopoly through intermarriage and nepotism. [The 1998 Random House Unabridged Dictionary says the term is "Sometimes Disparaging and Offensive"/i]
Somebody (If you let them) Could take offence at the name of a certain Rugby Club..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/06/2020 07:55 by greenwood.

Posted by: StonedWasp (IP Logged)
Date: 19 June, 2020 08:49

They can try to stop it, but i believe most of the 82,000 supporters in the ground, might have a different view

Club, Country & Wife

Posted by: Wasp222 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 June, 2020 08:52

Quote:
neils

When it was first sung by the England fans.We have to remember that when sung. The singers were still slaves and didn’t get any money for this. The composer was buried in an unmarked grave. There are stories that the words changed to be more friendly to the White audience.

Date: 19 June, 2020 09:29

Quote:
Wasp222
Quote:
neils

When it was first sung by the England fans.We have to remember that when sung. The singers were still slaves and didn’t get any money for this. The composer was buried in an unmarked grave. There are stories that the words changed to be more friendly to the White audience.

Not quite what you said but never mind.

Posted by: Simple Simon For Nothing (IP Logged)
Date: 19 June, 2020 15:06

Maybe for a little balance we could bash out Ol' Man River from time to time?

Date: 19 June, 2020 20:25

Quote:
StonedWasp
They can try to stop it, but i believe most of the 82,000 supporters in the ground, might have a different view

Most of the 82,000 supporters will be white. If they choose to sing it then they are part of the problem not part of the solution. Sad.

Posted by: DrHankPym(superhero) (IP Logged)
Date: 19 June, 2020 20:55

Personally I don't sing it because as a black man it seems an odd choice of song. Even more so when according to folklore it was spontaneously sung after Chris Oti scored at hat trick at Twickers. Though that's been superseded by the discovery of footage of league fans singing it in praise of Martin Offiah.

Anyhoo there's no chance the crowds are gonna stop singing. It's too much of a chant and embedded into the fabric of England national team.

It's not worth the culture war when there are far more important things RFU needs to do to move out of the mid-20th century.

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

Date: 19 June, 2020 21:42

they are part of the problem [i][/i]
What Problem ???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/06/2020 21:43 by greenwood.

Posted by: Simple Simon For Nothing (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2020 06:10

The Woke problem? Personally I cannot remember ever seeing or hearing anything problematic in a BLM vein at a game of rugby but perhaps others have? Also personally I am not keen on the Back in Black racket at Wasps though and would much rather London Calling like I heard at Lansdown Road in 2004.

Posted by: Marlow Nick (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2020 09:33

The RFU should be asking themselves why their organisation has failed to develop someone like Roy Francis rather than pointing the finger at fans singing

[youtu.be]

Posted by: ukms (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2020 09:41

Quote:
Simple Simon For Nothing
The Woke problem? Personally I cannot remember ever seeing or hearing anything problematic in a BLM vein at a game of rugby but perhaps others have? Also personally I am not keen on the Back in Black racket at Wasps though and would much rather London Calling like I heard at Lansdown Road in 2004.

Personally I don’t agree with some of the measures being taken by certain quarters to ‘put things right’ .... this is a good example and also some of the TV shows being removed which are simply comedy and not racism IMHO. That said I do think the RFU needs to take a step back, modernise and improve itself in so many ways.

Also Racism is not always about what you can see or hear smiling smiley

Date: 20 June, 2020 10:58

Quote:
greenwood
they are part of the problem [i][/i]
What Problem ???

What problem do you think?? Duh!

Date: 20 June, 2020 12:15

I haven't the slightest idea...

Most of the 82,000 supporters will be white. If they choose to sing it then they are part of the problem not part of the solution. Sad.
What do you suggest sell tickets to a ratio of black and white...
They''ll still be mostly white if they sing the thing or not presumably the same views on a lot of things.,.

Date: 20 June, 2020 12:22

Ellis Genge on the Haskell thingy -

“Does rugby have a racism problem?”

9/38 players in the Six Nations squad were BAME. 23.7%.

Why does no one ever talk about the successes?! The public face of rugby is massively over representative of BAME!

Always the negatives get the focus. Who cares about the RFU Council?!

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net