Current Page: 1 of 2
Piers Francis
Posted by: Smudge21 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 18:08

Rumour on the saints messageboard linking him with a move to irish

Re: Piers Francis
Posted by: Tom1215 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 18:15

Canít say Iíve watched much of him since he arrived in England so all Iím going off is what the saints message boards saying and they seem to be pretty gutted if this rumour is true.

Rumour police, is this an acceptable rumour???

Posted by: shimmieandshake (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 18:16

In many ways, sounds good. Playmaking 12, can cover multiple positions, went to the World Cup...

...only problem is I've never actually seen him play well? This might be a blind spot on my part - I might have only seen him in quiet games for him - but I generally haven't understood the hype.

Am I wrong on this?

Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 18:34

Be a great signing if true, he's improved a lot and looks very good now.

Problem with Francis is that he seems to be one of those really unlucky players, not his fault just happens. Change of scenery might just sort the hoodoo.

Posted by: Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 18:44

Saints board saying heís a great player but blighted with injuries. Not sure on this one with our track record with crocked players.

I'd rather be a Paddy than a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Posted by: Florida (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 19:19

Clearly not true, he's not following us on Twitter!

Posted by: Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 20:36

An interesting rumour. Mixed career: cut by Saracens academy, released by Edinburgh, hit form in Super rugby, made the world cup squad. Turns 30 in June and I'd be concerned at adding another injury prone player if we have a smaller squad.

Would definitely have him as he covers two key positions to a high standard. Big question is who does he replace? Theo as ball playing 12? Can't see two injury prone players as an option, especially given Hepetema has been first choice. A fly half? We have Jackson and Atkins definitely and Myler potentially so lots of cap at 10 unless someone goes to 15 regularly and competes with Parton. Maybe we run heavier on 10/12/15s with Parton, William's and Rona covering wing so we only have Naholo, Loader and OHC?

Posted by: Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 21:44

He'd effectively be replacing Campbell to give us a second proven option at 12 alongside Hepetema. Age not a huge concern in that position. The gamble would be on his injury record.

He's only really cover at 10, as he's better suited to centre.

Posted by: Muzza (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 23:57

Quote:
lazyboy346 > hit form in Super rugby,

Not sure if I agree with that statement. Played great rugby at NPC level for Counties but a journeyman in super rugby, and the Blues really needed something more.
I thought he struggled in Super rugby, and if he had decided to stay & not go back to England he wouldn't have been playing Super rugby in the 2019 & 20 seasons.

On the other hand the Harlequins centre/wing Marchan now playing for the Blues is real quality. I expect playing successfully down here and the experience of playing & training with/against SH teams is something Jones and Gats may have noticed.

Posted by: ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 23:57

Would be delighted to have Francis. He's a quality player.

Big issue with his tackle technique though, poor lad seems to keep getting injuries yackling players (iirc he went off injured vs us). Probably worth the gamble though.

Posted by: Blarney (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 00:53

Good player but seems to pick up concussions like he's George North. If he's coming I hope it's not for too much dollar - he could just as easily play every match or get knocked out 10 minutes into the first game and have to retire.

Posted by: HMRH (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 10:14

No rumour at all but Marx released by Lions and we might need a hooker .... we can wish

Posted by: Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 10:22

Yeah, he'd do

Headed to Japan though I believe

Date: 15 May, 2020 10:29

Yes undoubtedly/ I donít get Ackermann to Japan though. Really rate him and despite a bit of a dip at Glos I could see him as a future Bok coach. Wonder if his son will stay at Glos - handy player

Date: 15 May, 2020 11:19

Arno Botha back to Pretoria

Posted by: Tom1215 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 12:48

Quote:
HMRH
Arno Botha back to Pretoria
What a player!!!
Hopefully he can push on for some more springbok caps

Posted by: AlecW (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 13:53

Re Marx released by the Lions, perhaps he'd enjoy life in the Kapital?

Date: 15 May, 2020 14:39

Very good although maybe too many Engelsmen?

Posted by: Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 15:28

Quote:
AlecW
Re Marx released by the Lions, perhaps he'd enjoy life in the Kapital?

Iím sure Sale would sign him to join their ever growing Saffer contingent.

Posted by: Elredmondo (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2020 09:57

Would be happy with Francis but I think I just want to have an announcement now to boost morale. Feel like only club to not confirm new arrival as of date. From zoom meeting we have done business. Just guess am over eager!

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net