Current Page: 1 of 2
Allís not so well?
Posted by: Ecksile (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 22:30

From the Mail, reporting on Leicesterís player difficulty there was also this paragraph

ď London Irish are in a similar stand-off with their squad as they try to introduce a further 25 per cent cut to all contracts, despite having agreed blanket reduced deals only a fortnight ago. The players are resisting with many looking for ways out.Ē

Re: Allís not so well?
Posted by: Tom1215 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 22:51

Now I understand why the club are taking so long to announce anything about the squad next year.
Canít see this ending well for our squad sadly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/06/2020 22:56 by Tom1215.

Posted by: Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 23:07

No. Sounds like all bets are off in terms of the squad if true (and the DM are usually pretty well informed). Could all get very messy.

We're clearly in a fairly precarious situation financially.

Posted by: jimbo800 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 23:08

Typical, we get ourselves into a good position for the first time in years, now this. All the CVC money has probably been used up by teams now when it was meant to expand squads and improve quality. Is France and Japan the only places players can move to? Surely everyone else is being handicapped to the same extent

Posted by: ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 23:44

Quote:
jimbo800
Typical, we get ourselves into a good position for the first time in years, now this. All the CVC money has probably been used up by teams now when it was meant to expand squads and improve quality. Is France and Japan the only places players can move to? Surely everyone else is being handicapped to the same extent

Yep. If we have already agreed reduced deals a fortnight ago we shouldn't be seeking to reduce contracts again. If we do end up saving 25% via cutting salaries, I suspect that the subsequent 10th/11th placed squad would see the movie to Brentford fail (because who wants to start supporting a team that turns up nothing but absolute @#$%&, as we have for most of the past decade), and the club die. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Posted by: Alphacat (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 23:53

The club choosing to spend the CVC money on players was a risk that seemed to be paying off - we ensure premiership survival going into Brentford (though eventually redundant with Saracens situation) and potentially attract new fans with a stable financial plan. Now I am feeling that the only way the club can survive as a premiership team is if ringfencing happens if these rumoured contract escape clauses are utilised - and even if not, it might lead to some resentment in the club.

Edit: Or maybe I am just overly paranoid. The club's silence is killing me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/06/2020 00:10 by Alphacat.

Date: 30 June, 2020 00:32

So why are we asking for a 2nd reduction in contracted wages??? (I hope to see reduction in wages from the higher ups)
If thatís the case though I wish the players all the best and donít blame them at all for trying to leave.

Date: 30 June, 2020 00:40

So all players would take a 43.75% reduction on their original wages Pre Corona? (Please tell me I worked that out right?)
Because that is absolutely ridiculous for anyone no Matter how much you earn.

Posted by: deoraŪocht (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 01:22

Not that i would doubt the infallible tablets of stone 'Heil' as a source, but has anyone stopped to think that this may be a further 25% cut in terms of time as opposed an actual cut in present amount?

Posted by: Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 06:54

Probably all guessing at the wording there. Could also be that the agreement is a permanent cut on top of a temporary one. Or that the previous one was lower (like the blanket 12% cuts at Saints) and this is on top of it.

Even if it's 'just' a permanent 25% cut from their original wage, it's a big pill to swallow and some of the bigger players will have other options.

I guess we'll all just see what happens and hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds. May explain the complete radio silence on any player announcements though.

Posted by: GlawsyD (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 07:17

New or additional changes to contracts might therefore be the reason George Skivington has 'seen the light' and signed his move to Gloucester.

Posted by: shimmieandshake (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 08:18

Jeez. Looks like today is a massive day for the club.

Posted by: Derby Irish Fan (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 08:29

why do we always take the press at face value, if anyone bothered to listen to Brian, he was saying our financial position is slot better than others, smile the world is not ending

Posted by: GHA (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 08:47

Quote:
Derby Irish Fan
why do we always take the press at face value, if anyone bothered to listen to Brian, he was saying our financial position is slot better than others, smile the world is not ending

There was a lot of doom and gloom when clubs' profits and losses were published recently despite the fact we were 7th in the table showing the figures

Posted by: Ruckingood (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 09:20

Removed the post as it contained info I should not share for now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/06/2020 10:18 by Ruckingood.

Posted by: SirBurger (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 09:42

Grim.

Date: 30 June, 2020 20:58

Anyone got any news on London irish contracts today?
Was this a league deadline for new contracts or just a Leicester thing?

Posted by: old hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 21:29

Quote:
GlawsyD
New or additional changes to contracts might therefore be the reason George Skivington has 'seen the light' and signed his move to Gloucester.
George moved to a Head Coach position from an assistant coach job, and that will no doubt come with additional salary so why would he move just because they might have changed his contracts.

Posted by: HMRH (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 06:24

So weíll find out when players sign elsewhere I suppose. As the new cap comes into effect today theyíre no longer under contract and clear to move.

Posted by: Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 08:53

Saints have confirmed a long list of players on new contracts, so hopefully we may do a similar thing. Does confirm Francis is staying so another rumour proven incorrect.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net