Current Page: 1 of 2
Rob Simmons
Posted by: paddym (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 13:34

Selected in Australia squad for autumn test series so unlikely to see him until Xmas

Re: Rob Simmons
Posted by: Shawshank (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 14:03

FFS - surely he agreed to retire from Int rugby when we signed him...?

Goes from bad to worse on our signings front.

Posted by: Nick4219 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 14:14

On the Rugby Australia article he is still listed as a Waratahs player so maybe his contract with us hasnít started yet. Disappointing though as now this will likely delay his availability for next season now.

Posted by: tatthecraic3 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 14:43

Very poor signing in hind site. Was always a possibility due to gitau's law for anyone over 60 caps.

Posted by: Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 10:53

Surely it's good if he's playing well enough to get selected for his country?

I also personally hate the idea of players being forced to retire from international rugby due to a contract with a club. Playing for your country should be recognition that you are a top player rather than an impediment to your career. Forcing players to retire internationally to get a good contract is particularly hard on tier 2 and 3 nations who lose a lot of their best players - see the number of pacific islanders who retired just before the world cup.

I'd suggest there should be some flex to allow for cover in situations where players are unexpectedly called up for international duty i.e. similar to injury cover but only applicable to players not named in the international squad in the previous three seasons. That would cover young players doing surprisingly well and unexpected call ups for players who have dropped out of selection for a long time, but doesn't assist teams who know going in that players like the Vunipolas, George Ford or Launchbury will most likely be away in international windows.

Posted by: tatthecraic2 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 10:25

Quote:
Lazyboy346
Surely it's good if he's playing well enough to get selected for his country?
I also personally hate the idea of players being forced to retire from international rugby due to a contract with a club. Playing for your country should be recognition that you are a top player rather than an impediment to your career. Forcing players to retire internationally to get a good contract is particularly hard on tier 2 and 3 nations who lose a lot of their best players - see the number of pacific islanders who retired just before the world cup.

I'd suggest there should be some flex to allow for cover in situations where players are unexpectedly called up for international duty i.e. similar to injury cover but only applicable to players not named in the international squad in the previous three seasons. That would cover young players doing surprisingly well and unexpected call ups for players who have dropped out of selection for a long time, but doesn't assist teams who know going in that players like the Vunipolas, George Ford or Launchbury will most likely be away in international windows.

that not what we're saying.

its great for him that he's an international still - but we need good players to be available week in week out as we build into a team who is not yo-yoing up and down from championship to prem.

the siging was probably poor as he will cost us a fortune and play a minimal amount of games for us

Posted by: PV (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 10:43

There's no point having signings if they aren't on the pitch, injured or international call ups.

We desperately needed a lock, let two go - Maddison and Franco and replaced them with a guy who can't play until maybe '21. How does that make any sense?

Posted by: jimbo800 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 10:49

How many of Exeterís players are actually gone half e season through international call ups. Theyíve done amazing work with prem players who donít find themselves on the radar Of international coaches. Now theyíve upped their spending and have some but for a long time they could put out pretty much the same team each week. We survived as long as we did because we had no internationals and got our wins during the six nations. We lose mcnally who was amazing for us, and replace with guys who cost three times that.
The reason weíve been so bad since lockdown is our lack of forwards, simple as that. Big money from O brien and kepu and mafi would have paid for six decent prem players.

Posted by: SteveS (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 02:19

He won't miss many games tho surely, the season starts late November? I'm all for a good moan but the fact that we've signed a guy good enough still to be wanted by his country is well lower on my begrudgery scale

Posted by: Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 06:34

Quote:
SteveS
He won't miss many games tho surely, the season starts late November? I'm all for a good moan but the fact that we've signed a guy good enough still to be wanted by his country is well lower on my begrudgery scale

Rugby Championship is being played in Nov/Dec this year. Doubt we'll see him until the new year.

One of those things, but certainly not ideal.

Posted by: HMRH (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 09:43

Which other high quality locks were available just below international level? Botha fitted the mould but sadly Covid destroyed that plan. Give the club a break

Posted by: AlecW (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 10:48

Since the Rugby Championship ends on 12th December, I would imagine Simmons will be in the biosecure bubble (barring injury - yikes! (Sm113)) until 13-14th. From there, it would be pretty churlish to deny him time to pack, say his goodbyes and have a family Christmas - he has a wife and little daughter, after all. Then, he'll have to sort out somewhere decent to live (assuming his family are joining him soon afterwards - they have to be comfortable too!).

So I doubt we'll see him at Hazelwood until early January and I would guess he won't be match-fit / ready to play much before late January / early February.

That's only my guess / read on it, though.

Posted by: GHA (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 11:27

This is assuming he makes the final squad rather than the Preliminary squad that he's currently in, is that right?

Posted by: Shawshank (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 11:35

Virtually all other clubs seem to have no trouble signing physical and belligerent forwards from Southern Africa.

Yet we manage to let go our best lock for several years in FVDM, and don't tie down 2 others (Botha x 2) to any proper contract.

BTW - Arno is back in SA - worth a phone call...?

Date: 16 September, 2020 12:20

This was and is so obvious and hasn't been addressed. No comment on Rob Simmons or his family and his career - more a reflection on our disastrous recruitment.

We have written off the season ahead of needing to increase revenues from the move to Brentford - why would someone watch us above Quins - same neck of the woods....

Of the current squad - the return on investment is negligible at best. No other side experiences these challenges to this extent and this isn't a new issue for us.

Posted by: SteveS (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 17:55

Quote:
AlecW
Since the Rugby Championship ends on 12th December, I would imagine Simmons will be in the biosecure bubble (barring injury - yikes! (Sm113)) until 13-14th. From there, it would be pretty churlish to deny him time to pack, say his goodbyes and have a family Christmas - he has a wife and little daughter, after all. Then, he'll have to sort out somewhere decent to live (assuming his family are joining him soon afterwards - they have to be comfortable too!).
So I doubt we'll see him at Hazelwood until early January and I would guess he won't be match-fit / ready to play much before late January / early February.

That's only my guess / read on it, though.

Equally, he will be match fit coming off test matches. The club will provide temp accomodation, sportsmen since the year dot have sacrificed Christmases. We shall see! I expect if the loss run heads into the teens, he'll be told to report for active duty

Posted by: HMRH (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2020 07:08

So who should the club have signed instead of Simmons? Letís not go with a really good South African who isnít part of the Bok squad and wasnít under contract - who?

With Botha I think they got the sweet spot and then Covid,not the selection, undid all that work. So who?

Be specific with solutions as opposed to complaining about the recruitment

Date: 17 September, 2020 11:36

Someone is paid to do that role! Happy to job swap...

Posted by: shimmieandshake (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2020 12:07

Quote:
HMRH
So who should the club have signed instead of Simmons? Letís not go with a really good South African who isnít part of the Bok squad and wasnít under contract - who?
With Botha I think they got the sweet spot and then Covid,not the selection, undid all that work. So who?

Be specific with solutions as opposed to complaining about the recruitment

Botha was definitely in the sweet spot. It was a brilliant signing, and we're unlucky not to get more out of it.

I think he was on the fringes of pushing into the Boks' RWC squad before getting injured in spring 2019 just before he came to us. Giving their current injuries at lock, good chance he'll be involved in their Rugby Championship squad, if the Boks do end up playing. Perhaps ironic if Botha did play, given the thread we're in.

Posted by: SirBurger (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2020 12:14

It's a good point - I would prefer it if we tried to target the Botha-esque calibre of players that have perhaps been unfairly overlooked at international level, rather than the guys who are internationals but perhaps towards the end of their careers. However, I imagine there is more demand for the former and so that is probably why we have had to target more of the latter.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net