Strongest Team youd like to see for next season?
Posted by: tatthecraic3 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 19:57

For me

WGC
Creevy
Kepu
Coleman
Donnell (simmonds needs to prove himself)
Blair
SOB
Tuisue
Phipps
Jackson
Loader
(New Hire)
Rona
Naholo
Homer

Elrington
(New Hire)
Hoskins
Munga
Cooke
Brand
(New Hire)
Parton

Re: Strongest Team youd like to see for next season?
Posted by: Earlyirishfan96 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 20:50

WGC
Creevy
Hoskins
Simmonds
Coleman
Rogerson
Cowan
Tuisue
Phipps
Jackson
Naholo
Upgrade
Rona
Loader
Homer

Upgrade
Elrington
Kepu
Mafi
SOB
Meehan
Upgrade
Patron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2020 20:52 by Earlyirishfan96.

Posted by: Exilepaul (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 21:44

If these ageing and injury prone players didnt play this season where do you get the confidence they'll play next season?

Posted by: paddym (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 22:15

So why did we buy Alan Dell a current Scotland international prop? Waste of money.
So why did we buy Sean O'Brien an Ireland legend? Waste of money.

TBC too injury prone. Atkins brothers not at prom level. If we are getting the likes of Creevy why not go for Sean Cronin as rotation, only third choice at Leinster but would be better back up than we have.. Is Matt Williams really a prem player, too lightweight IMO.

And maybe people are right and K and K are past this level, spend some of the big money on getting younger upcoming coaches who read the game as its played now.

Soul destroying watching us lose every week to teams that with our full squad we should be beating.
and this from someone who has been watching for last 36 years. Put me off buying season ticket for Brentford and I only live up the road from it!

Posted by: Bazzo (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 00:07

K&K for me are not past this level. They have not coached in the Premiership. They were never at this level. Pro 14 and international rugby is different.

Kiss in particular as I understand it has only ever coached Ulster as a club and he got run out of that job. He is Head Coach. Kidney lives off his record at Munster, but that was years ago, with some magnificent home grown players at his disposal. Where has he shown the recent pedigree to go out in the transfer market and build a team? he does not even coach as I understand it. He was originally Technical Director until they moved Kennedy on and then took on his DOR role.

They live off their Grand Slam record with Ireland in 2009, but that was over a decade ago and this is not international rugby, it is English Premiership Club rugby. Huge difference. If they have spent to the cap for that squad, (and I know that they have players missing !) which is a complete squad, they took a risk on paying big for a few players and stretching out the lower level quality, it just has not worked out, it was a bad plan and I donít see it getting any better, even when we get some of the big names back.

Worcester are continuously a marker for us and we were second best. I thought that the Hougaard/Wier combination was outstanding. Wonder if they cost the same as Jackson/Phipps?

Posted by: Shawshank (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 01:08

Every Premiership team apart from Tigers has a better scrum half than Phipps.

How he and Youngs ever won so many caps is a mystery.

And Jackson should now be really starting to assert himself on games. But to me he seems like a timid little mouse all the time. Never Ďbossesí his backs, hardly ever makes a break and generally is far too conservative in his kicks to touch.

Oh for Piet Van Zyl and Ian Keatley...

Posted by: SteveS (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 02:40

The coaches won't be and shouldn't be replaced. People forget we've been utterly useless at this level for any number of years, it wiped out Tom Coventry who had a good SH record and Nick Kennedy who looked one of the most promising young coaches around. K&K were the very first to make us competitive at this level FOR YEARS. Of course it's been utter@#$%&since resumption. We can only guess at the impact of the loss of Skivington who was overrated as a player here but may have been a very good coach. But clearly the loss of some heavyweights in the pack since lockdown has made us look like a Championship level 8 again, constantly bullied off the park by whoever we face. If these issues are addressed before the new season starts, and the signings look plausible in that regard (tho no one can tell if they will be enough), then K&K deserve another chance. Others have failed here badly, we should be careful what we wish for booting out two coaches who got us used to this level again.

Posted by: franciscorrigan (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 13:11

You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear and given the players we've lost and the players not fit and the lack of depth in the squad, I defy anyone to get any sort of result. You can't blame the coaches for the lack of discipline on the field, which has been a major Achilles' heel for us. It's also quite clear that several players lack experience and make basic errors. We are also somewhat lacking in bulk in some areas. Our first choice team when available and fit looks quite strong on paper. However, it's quite clear that we will still have weaknesses in certain positions. Quite how you tempt top quality players to the club without spending a fortune on them is beyond my comprehension. It's very easy to blame the coaches, but it's next season that will show us how good, or bad, they are.
Who would we replace them with? Good coaches aren't exactly ten a penny. (Sm63)

Posted by: RodB (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 14:49

The contract yr started in July . With the exception of simmonds is there any evidence that we can expect new signings for next season?

Posted by: Nick4219 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 16:29

1. Dell
2. Creevy
3. Upgrade
4. Coleman
5. Simmonds
6. Cowan
7. Upgrade
8. SOB/Tuisue

9. Upgrade
10. Jackson
11. Loader
12. Hepetema
13. Rona
14. Naholo
15. Parton

16. Kepu
17. Upgrade
18. WGC
19. Cooke
20. Munya
21. OHC
22. Brand
23. Homer

Posted by: Bazzo (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 22:47

Quote:
SteveS
The coaches won't be and shouldn't be replaced. People forget we've been utterly useless at this level for any number of years, it wiped out Tom Coventry who had a good SH record and Nick Kennedy who looked one of the most promising young coaches around. K&K were the very first to make us competitive at this level FOR YEARS. Of course it's been utter@#$%&since resumption. We can only guess at the impact of the loss of Skivington who was overrated as a player here but may have been a very good coach. But clearly the loss of some heavyweights in the pack since lockdown has made us look like a Championship level 8 again, constantly bullied off the park by whoever we face. If these issues are addressed before the new season starts, and the signings look plausible in that regard (tho no one can tell if they will be enough), then K&K deserve another chance. Others have failed here badly, we should be careful what we wish for booting out two coaches who got us used to this level again.

The coaches wonít be replaced..... if they should be is a different argument altogether. I donít see them improving this team or style of play at all. If you think that this squad and our team is competitive then I must be watching something different altogether.. if Coventry got sacked because we finished bottom and if Kennedy got the chop for relegation as well, would finishing 11th which is relegation really, not qualify for the same treatment? In fact I would say more so because the others never had the CVC millions to spend and nor did K&K have the pressure on them that the others had as these lads know that Sarries are going down already. Then again maybe we wonít finish 11th, two games to go, with no pressure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net