My perspective since the restart
Posted by: Finno (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 00:21

The problem as I see it is, that we have a Premiership 23 when everyone is fit, that can hold their own and beat anyone on their day. The problem is below that, every other side has a second string that are premiership quality, so are still competitive. Our problem is that below the 23, we have a bunch of talented academy players that have great potential but are still only kids. You can't dump 4/5 of them into a Premiership game and expect to get anything out of it. Because we've done that, effectively we've put out an uncompetitive 15 for each game since the restart!

If it was me I'd just have targeted two games (Leicester and Worcester), put or strongest team out and try to win those. If we'd done that and won both, we'd have secured 8th, we'd all be happy and use the other seven games to blood the 'kids'. Instead we put out 7 uncompetitive sides, hence 7 losses

My only relief to all this pain is that I'm born and bred in Dublin and a Leinster fan at heart! (Let's hope they wallop the Cheats next w/e) Coming to England over 30 years ago LI was always going to be the only side I supported, and it's been a real rollercoaster until the last five years!

Hey ho, let's hope LI sort themselves out. But at a minimum we need two hairy assed second rows and two big crash ball centres (all of premiership quality) or next season 'We're doomed' in my best Wilson Scottish accent!

Sorry for the rant, but I'm glad I've got that off my chest!!!

Re: My perspective since the restart
Posted by: Exilepaul (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 02:17

Cheer up Finno

Posted by: Gazzle (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 04:05

Quote:
Finno
The problem as I see it is, that we have a Premiership 23 when everyone is fit, that can hold their own and beat anyone on their day. The problem is below that, every other side has a second string that are premiership quality, so are still competitive. Our problem is that below the 23, we have a bunch of talented academy players that have great potential but are still only kids. You can't dump 4/5 of them into a Premiership game and expect to get anything out of it. Because we've done that, effectively we've put out an uncompetitive 15 for each game since the restart!
If it was me I'd just have targeted two games (Leicester and Worcester), put or strongest team out and try to win those. If we'd done that and won both, we'd have secured 8th, we'd all be happy and use the other seven games to blood the 'kids'. Instead we put out 7 uncompetitive sides, hence 7 losses

My only relief to all this pain is that I'm born and bred in Dublin and a Leinster fan at heart! (Let's hope they wallop the Cheats next w/e) Coming to England over 30 years ago LI was always going to be the only side I supported, and it's been a real rollercoaster until the last five years!

Hey ho, let's hope LI sort themselves out. But at a minimum we need two hairy assed second rows and two big crash ball centres (all of premiership quality) or next season 'We're doomed' in my best Wilson Scottish accent!

Sorry for the rant, but I'm glad I've got that off my chest!!!

A very mild rant which makes a nice change for the board!

We've got 2 tier 1 international starting second rows to come into the side still. Hardly the worst scenario to be in. Coleman has presence, athleticism and is hard as nails even if he isn't the bulkiest. More bulk badly needed though - it is something Wooster always seem to have against us, even if we in the past have had the better players on paper. Alternatively I guess we adapt and become outstanding technicians which makes up for our lack of bulk. Some of our best rugby in recent memory was with Richard Thorpe at 6 who was miniscule by general standards but was so consistent at his game which was mighty effective. Fisher's forward coaching could be the fresh perspective we need perhaps to produce something similar again - I'm hoping.

Tend to agree on centre. Not many outstanding boshers available right now though. Guessing we'll have to adapt and make the most of what we have. Hoping Phil Cokanasiga becomes a player or TBC becomes Mike Catt mark II.

Posted by: SixNineOne (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 08:35

I fear the skill v bulk debate Is very much veering towards bulk. Most contributors have been bemoaning our current lack of gnarly locks and the hope is that a fit Coleman and Simmons could fix that. I’d don’t see any alternative, if we are to avoid being bullied off the park by the likes of Bath and Sale. There’s also a view we need a hefty centre to bash up the middle of the field (if he had Semi Radradra’s skill set, that would be useful...). So whilst I would love to see a return of the silky skills of a Mike Catt or the dogged effectiveness of a Richard Thorpe, I worry that deliberately trying to go down that route would be a risky choice. Having said that, if TBC can kick on from his game against Worcester and stay injury free (!), I’d be mighty happy.

Posted by: Shawshank (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 12:05

If TBC could just play 5 games in row I'd be happy - as I am sure would he...

Posted by: Nick4219 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 12:55

Looks like Hepetema is out for the remainder of the season so our centre problems get worse.

He posted on his Instagram account.

Unfortunate as he and Rona play well together and we looked a stronger outfit with them starting.

He had one bad game against Wuss so doesn’t deserve the vilification he got on here from some quarters.

Posted by: franciscorrigan (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 15:15

Anyone got Luther Burrell's number?(Sm63)

Posted by: Finno (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 15:25

Quote:
Nick4219
Looks like Hepetema is out for the remainder of the season so our centre problems get worse.
He posted on his Instagram account.

Unfortunate as he and Rona play well together and we looked a stronger outfit with them starting.

He had one bad game against Wuss so doesn’t deserve the vilification he got on here from some quarters.

I agree, they played well together. The problem is that we need another two of similar ilk to properly cover Centre, backed up by the likes of TBC and Matt Williams who are not quite 'oven ready' (to borrow a quote) as fully fledged premiership quality.

Posted by: Nick4219 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 15:57

I wonder if we can take up Luther Burrell on a trial basis as he said in his statement?

He could be the ball carrying bosher up the middle we desperately need right now. If he goes well he could be a real asset for next season.

Posted by: franciscorrigan (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 16:03

Steven Myler, Franco van der Merwe, Saia Fainga’a, Pat Cilliers, Dave Porecki, Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi, Ruan Botha, Scott Steele, Tom Stephenson, Bryce Campbell, Barney Maddison, Alivereti Veitokani all gone. Rona, Hepetema, SOB, Naholo, Coleman, Cowan, Kepu and God alone knows how many others injured.
Not exactly sure how we were supposed to compete during the post-lockdown matches.

Some of the youngsters have played remarkably well, but have been-out muscled. They have gained experience which will be invaluable in the future, but they are not yet the finished article.
With everyone we still have and everyone fit, we are fairly strong on paper, but stretched in a couple of areas once injuries start to happen, as they will.

We need a good start to the season and hope nobody gets a long term injury and ideally a couple of Saffers (or similar) signed for added grunt.(Sm63)

Posted by: SteveS (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 02:13

Botha, van der Merwe and Myler are the ones that tore the heart out of the team.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net