Current Page: 1 of 2
England squads
Posted by: Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2009 11:18

Quote:
May 19, 2009
England Team Manager Martin Johnson has recalled Rugby World Cup winners Steve Thompson (Brive) and Ben Kay (Leicester Tigers) to his 34-man England squad to take on the Barbarians and Argentina in a two-Test summer tour.

Captained by Saracens' Steve Borthwick, the squad also includes six uncapped players in David Wilson and Tom May from Newcastle Falcons, Jordan Turner-Hall and Chris Robshaw from Harlequins, Sam Vesty (Leicester Tigers) and Nick Wood (Gloucester Rugby).

England kick off their 2009 summer tour against the Barbarians at Twickenham Stadium on May 30 (4.15pm), before heading to Old Trafford for the first Test against Argentina on June 6 (4pm), followed by a return match in Salta on June 13.

England Team Manager Martin Johnson said: "This is a very strong squad full of a mixture of experience and young talent. I'm sure that any of the uncapped players will take the step up from the Saxons to the senior test arena if they are given the opportunity.

"I'm looking forward to all three games and the three day training camp this week, which will give us further invaluable time with the squad."

Also confirmed today was the 26-man England Saxons squad to defend the Churchill Cup in Denver, Colorado. The squad features eight capped players, including Danny Cipriani, Luke Narraway and Tom Varndell.

England Saxons coach Stuart Lancaster said: "We have a great balance of players in the squad with youth and experience. All of the players are looking forward to challenging themselves in Denver.

"The Churchill Cup is a massive stepping stone for players and we want to create an environment that encourages them to push for senior selection.

"There is no bigger honour than playing for your country and I know this group of players will embrace that and enjoy every minute."

England summer tour squad

Forwards
Steffon Armitage (London Irish)
Steve Borthwick (Saracens, captain)
George Chuter (Leicester Tigers)
Jordan Crane (Leicester Tigers)
Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers)
Louis Deacon (Leicester Tigers)
Nick Easter (Harlequins)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
James Haskell (London Wasps)
Ben Kay (Leicester Tigers)
Nick Kennedy (London Irish)
Lewis Moody (Leicester Tigers)
Tim Payne (London Wasps)
Tom Rees (London Wasps)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)*
Steve Thompson (Brive)
Julian White (Leicester Tigers)
David Wilson (Newcastle Falcons)*
Nick Wood (Gloucester Rugby)*

Backs
Delon Armitage (London Irish)
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Mark Cueto (Sale Sharks)
Ben Foden (Northampton Saints)
Andy Goode (Brive)
Jordan Turner-Hall (Harlequins)*
Dan Hipkiss (Leicester Tigers)
Paul Hodgson (London Irish)
Tom May (Newcastle Falcons)*
Olly Morgan (Gloucester Rugby)
Jamie Noon (Newcastle Falcons)
David Strettle (Harlequins)
Mathew Tait (Sale Sharks)
Sam Vesty (Leicester Tigers)*
Richard Wigglesworth (Sale Sharks)

* Denotes uncapped player

Players not considered for injury/medical reasons: Toby Flood (Leicester Tigers), Tom Palmer (London Wasps), Paul Sackey (London Wasps), Mike Tindall (Gloucester Rugby) and Jonny Wilkinson (Newcastle Falcons).

England Saxons Churchill Cup squad

Forwards
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
Alex Corbisiero (London Irish)
Phil Dowson (Newcastle Falcons)
David Flatman (Bath Rugby)*
Tom Guest (Harlequins)
Stuart Hooper (Bath Rugby)
Chris Jones (Sale Sharks)*
Tom Mercey (Saracens)
Luke Narraway (Gloucester Rugby)*
Dean Schofield (Sale Sharks)*
Peter Short (Bath Rugby)
Joe Ward (London Wasps)
Rob Webber (London Wasps)
Ben Woods (Leicester Tigers)

Backs
Nick Abendanon (Bath Rugby)*
Matt Banahan (Bath Rugby)
Brad Barritt (Saracens)
Noah Cato (Saracens)
Danny Cipriani (London Wasps)*
Shane Geraghty (London Irish)*
Alex Goode (Saracens)
Stephen Myler (Northampton Saints)
Joe Simpson (London Wasps)
Tom Varndell (Leicester Tigers)*
Dominic Waldouck (London Wasps)
Micky Young (Newcastle Falcons)

* Denotes capped players

Players not considered for injury/medical reasons: Olly Barkley (Gloucester Rugby), Richard Blaze (Leicester Tigers), Mike Brown (Harlequins), Michael Lipman (Bath Rugby), Matt Mullan (Worcester Warriors), David Paice (London Irish), Topsy Ojo (London Irish), Will Skinner (Harlequins), George Skivington (London Wasps) and James Simpson-Daniel (Gloucester Rugby).

Tickets for England's match against the Barbarians on Saturday May 30 at Twickenham Stadium are available on a two for one special offer priced from 12.50 (offer ends midnight May 26) from Ticketmaster on 0844 8472492 or www.ticketmaster.co.uk.

Tickets for Argentina v England for 'The Standard Bank Cup' at Old Trafford on Saturday June 6 are priced from just 10 for adults and are available via Ticketmaster or Manchester United (0161 868 8000 option 9 or via e-mail to argentinavengland@manutd.co.uk).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2009 11:21 by Quinten Poulsen.

Re: England squads
Date: 19 May, 2009 11:24

That's some fierce back row competition in the main squad, and interesting that JTH is the only "full time" inside centre in the squad.

Congrats to all the boys, but really tough luck for Skinner and Brown - I didn't realise they had injuries serious enough to keep them out of touring.

Posted by: tacklebag (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2009 11:28

It was only a matter of time before JTH & Robshaw got a look in. Well done all our boys...

Posted by: Stomalomalus (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2009 11:34

Since when has Skins been injured? Que?

Good to see Thompson and Kay back in the squad...

Interesting to see who will play 10. Will May or Vesty be 21, and will JTH play because of the competition from Vesty and May?

Posted by: Quinny Quin Quin (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2009 11:35

Looks as though both were still only being looked at for the Saxons though. I understand why that would be with the competition Mike Brown has been facing from Armitage, Foden, Morgan etc, but surely Skinns deserves to be in contention for the 1st squad? The only player to have played as well as him in his position this season has been Steffon, who is rightly included, but Rees and Moody? On form? I don't think so. Maybe it's my multi-coloured tinted specs, but Skinns and Armitage have been the top two 7s in the GP for me this season.

QQQ

Date: 19 May, 2009 11:40

QQQ

I think you're right about form, but Moody and Rees were always going to be in the squad if they were fit.

Posted by: HarTley Quin (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2009 11:42

Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
QQQ
I think you're right about form, but Moody and Rees were always going to be in the squad if they were fit.

Sadly the same is true for Borthwick!!

Posted by: Pingu At Work (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2009 11:45

Brown's hand injury plagued him for most of the last third of the season. Maybe it's just needs the rest. Shame though because he only ever seems to play for England against strong teams away from home.

I never understand why youngsters aren't blooded in games at HQ (or in this case Old Trafford).

Date: 19 May, 2009 11:46

It's a sorry selection process. I've never understood why coaches are so reluctant to select based on form. Surely form is the key criteria? If a player is playing well, you should want them playing for you. I know combinations are important at international level, but that's not an argument against Skinner, as his two back row colleagues at Quins are in the squad. I'm beginning to think there is a set formula that England coaches select players by. It's pretty ridiculous in my eyes.

QQQ

Posted by: Battering Ram Winger (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2009 12:18

I'd like to know under what criteria Louis Deacon is selected.

Well done to our lads, although I'd rather see Strettle getting fit and ready for next season.

Posted by: Stomalomalus (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2009 12:24

Quote:
Battering Ram Winger
I'd like to know under what criteria Louis Deacon is selected.
Well done to our lads, although I'd rather see Strettle getting fit and ready for next season.

Deacon was already in the EPS - he was drafted in for Tom Palmer when the latter got injured wound the time of the 6Ns.

Posted by: Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2009 12:27

Quote:
It's a sorry selection process. I've never understood why coaches are so reluctant to select based on form.

Probably because club form doesn't always translate into international form, Steffon Armitage being a good example. Although I'm glad he's getting another chance.

BB

Date: 19 May, 2009 12:37

Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
It's a sorry selection process. I've never understood why coaches are so reluctant to select based on form.

Probably because club form doesn't always translate into international form, Steffon Armitage being a good example. Although I'm glad he's getting another chance.

But surely you have to pick a player and try them out before you can know that?!

QQQ

Posted by: ianco (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2009 12:44

What I like about the squad is that there are no surprises. New players have come in who have really had to perform well kike Vesty, Morgan, May and Jordan. And the players who improved during the season for England stayed there. Ben Kay deserves to be back and Leicester deserve to have as many players as they do.

Bath have no players in the main squad and to be honest that is proably right as well. Apart form Lipman their standard out players are their SA half backs.

I like England to be a really difficult side to get picked for. I don't want players strolling into a touring side after a good end of season run in. And I think the England side that went to NZ last year was too much like that. I think the team that plays this year will be a much tougher unit.

Posted by: making friends (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2009 12:51

Very surprised to see that Tom Williams hasn't been called for the Saxons squad. Feel that the consistency of form he has shown this season would have warranted a call up.

Posted by: poorfour (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2009 13:03

Very hard to call the forwards - lots of competition there though I would not be surprised to see White, Thompson and Kay all make the team. And then I would like to see Croft at lock, and a back row of Robshaw, Moody and Easter. Or Armitage to start with Moody on the bench.

The backs are a slightly odd mix - lots of competition at 9, 10 and 15 (though Armitage unlikely to be dropped), but almost none at wing (surely Cueto and Stretts if both can stay fit) and 13 likely to be determined by whomever plays 12.

Jordan offers something very distinctive at 12 in comparison to the other candidates so I would expect him to get some game time, even if as an impact sub.

Anyway, well done to our returning and new squad members. Well deserved in all cases.

Posted by: Blank436 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2009 13:06

Skinner's injury could be the missing 4 inches and 3 stone?

Posted by: poorfour (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2009 13:09

Making friends - Maybe the Saxons coaches get all squeamish at the sight of fake blood?

Posted by: jonf (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2009 13:13

Sam - and Neil Back was 6 foot 8 and 20 stone....

Posted by: The Prof (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2009 13:15

I believe Skins and Brown both had minor ops at the end of the season

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net