Current Page: 1 of 2
Improvments
Posted by: SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 19:58

So a couple of seasons ago we were struggling, what improvments do we see this year?

For me our Scrum has massively improved, with the signing of Frank's and Waller making massive improvments, we don't drop off in the scrum when replacements come on. We scrummaged excellently against a big French team sitting 2nd in the top 14.

For me, our breakdown is the biggest improvment. We get to the breakdown really fast and our clear out technique is good across the team.

I think our attack is good but for me it is these bread and butter improvements that help us win games, when the attack falters our forwards do the job.

Plus we are improving all the time, it is great to be a Saints fan atm.

Re: Improvments
Posted by: St Saltaire (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 20:08

Playing a high tempo game with risk and adventure seems to be the best improvement. Having a human wrecking ball in big T has done wonders too. Our wingers are now constantly involved. A few seasons ago George North hardly ever saw a pass.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 20:16

All good. We just need to tighten our defence to become a good all round team.

Date: 18 January, 2020 20:23

Quote:
St Saltaire
Playing a high tempo game with risk and adventure seems to be the best improvement. Having a human wrecking ball in big T has done wonders too. Our wingers are now constantly involved. A few seasons ago George North hardly ever saw a pass.

You only get tempo if your clear out is efficient and produces quick ball.

If you give pens away at scrum you wont see a lot of the ball and neither will big T.

Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 20:57

Speaking of defence. When do we expect Ian Vass to join us?

Posted by: Deesaint (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 20:58

Individually some players have looked to make a difference to their game
Tom Wood has increased his weight by 22kg from this time last year
Making him far more effective in carrying the ball and at the. Breakdown

Posted by: cparksaint (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 20:59

Ian Vass due to start at end of the month I understand

Posted by: pksaint (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 21:03

Quote:
St Saltaire

Agree with all of the above but I always got the impression that George never came 'inside' looking for the ball. I feel the crop of wingers we have now do go looking for work. Or am I not being fair? Maybe that's the way George was instructed to play, who knows?

Posted by: 100perSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 21:12

Enthusiasm, there’s a certain joy that exudes from the team at the moment.

Also when it goes wrong, or the other team play well, there’s not that panic that in previous seasons would herald a certain loss. They just seem to regroup and start again.

Really enjoying the season as well.

Posted by: Nath-coys (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 21:19

Quote:
Deesaint

Not a chance he has put on 22kg. That’s drastic weight gain and what would be muscle as well.
A total new comer to the gym would be proud of putting 10 kg of muscle.
A pro Rugby player maybe 2/3kg is probably the norm. Anything above 5 kg would be fairly impressive.

Date: 18 January, 2020 21:29

They said Wood has put on 15 KG on BT sport. Did not mention the time frame that it took him.

Date: 18 January, 2020 21:31

I have also been impressed with Sleights all around game, he has pace, is good at the breakdown, has good hands and footwork. All this and not even 20 years old.

Date: 18 January, 2020 21:33

That is seriously impressive if true SaintAsh.
Time frame like you said would be interesting.
From his debut too now you would consider possible.
I know it was said he was trying to put some on too carry/clearout better.
But 15kg in a offseason seems extraordinary too me.
It is very hard for rugby players to put on large amounts of weight because they still have to be extremely cardiovascularly fit.

Posted by: woodface (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 21:42

Nath - this is extract from interview/ article about Tom Wood in today’s Telegraph:

“Relishing the “pioneering” playing style Northampton have embraced, he has made a few changes. Typically, they have been with the collective in mind.
First off, Wood has bulked up to around 18st. Previously, he played at 16½. Second, the 50-cap England international has aligned his game with the methods of Boyd and his young coaching lieutenants, including Sam Vesty and Phil Dowson.”

Hope this helps. I don’t do kgs - you do the maths!😜

Date: 18 January, 2020 22:01

Thanks Woodface i was just been looking for an article because I was sure I had read about him putting weight on.
Stone and a half is about 10kg so that is impressive and to not have effected his work rate as obviously being stronger is good but he has to carry that extra weight.
He is a Tall back row player though so his frame can probably handle it.
I also read a article where he said as a senior player he had control over looking after his body and his S&C.

And it all goes to show what a true Pro he is.
There might of been a feeling that when Mallinders regime came too an end he might of been one of the old guard to go with it.
But he has rejuvenated himself and his form is fantastic.
Long may it continue.

Posted by: GrandpaL (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 06:45

Quote:
Deesaint

10kg was quoted in commentary yesterday. Could you have meant 22lb? 20kg would be a massive gain in that period - one which I could achieve easily as long as no athleticism was required!

Date: 19 January, 2020 07:23

Ah so it was, Chinese whisper effect going on. I guess if you have been trying to play under weight to be more mobile, then adding the weight would be easier. I think Kvesic put on similar timber for chiefs?

Posted by: Deesaint (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 08:05

I may well be getting pounds and kilo mixed
22 lb is about 10 kilo
My mistake

I still have a 10 Bob note in my wallet

Posted by: smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 10:01

I’ve been critical of Alex Waller in the last few seasons during the previous regime. Last season he improved to a certain extent but he was still being heavily penalised. I think I read somewhere that he was the most penalised player last season. I could be wrong on that.

This season he has been very good and I cannot be critical of him. I’ve watched all of our games that have been on TV, so most and he has generally been very good. Yesterday against Lyon he was very good. It’s interesting watching a game for a second time, you have more chance/ time to analyse it and watch player performance closely. He’s been good. I think it’s clear what these coaching team has done for him and it’s also clear that playing with the current set of tight 5 forwards has done for him. Credit to him. Well played. I remain totally unconvinced of the co-captain thing, I think T should skipper the team, however it’s been done to death and most disagree so that’s done.

Posted by: Jamie_86 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 10:03

For me the biggest change has been that we pick and encourage players across the 3/4 line who are/want to be play makers.

Our attacking style under Mallinder was incredibly rigid. It was 9 to 10, 10 to 12, bosh... go again.

Now, how regularly do you see Hutchinson, Francis, Furbank or even forwards sometimes, step in at first receiver from a Reinach pass from the breakdown. It keep defences guessing, it gives us huge variety in how we attack, not to mention it's fantastic to watch because you never know what's coming next.

Boyd really has introduced the All Black mindset into our playing style. Everyone in the team is encouraged to play now. Look at the improvements in the carrying and passing style of the likes of Van Wyk and Painter.

The thing that impresses me is how quickly this has all happened. It's only been 18 months since Boyd's arrival and you would think it would take longer than that to overhaul the playing culture of a club. I suppose the fact he's brought through so many young players helps the pace of change.

It's so good to be a Saints fan at the moment. Yes there's still a long way to go if we want to challenge Exeter in England and the likes of Leinster, Racing and Clermont in Europe but if we can keep Boyd around for the next 4/5 years, I genuinely believe we can do it.

COYS

Church's Stand - Block 20 - Row Q - Seat 700

Come and say hello!

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net