Smyler Loved it Here and Looks Forward to Return
Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2020 16:48

Re: Smyler Loved it Here and Looks Forward to Return
Posted by: 195Rich (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2020 17:03

Saints legend who was treated very badly over the years. We seemed to spend an awful lot of time trying to replace him but he saw off all-comers!

Posted by: smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2020 18:19

Fabulous and steady 10. I hardly ever recall him having a bad game and whilst he was never particularly flash he just seemed to be able to do the right thing at the right time. Great kicker and usually found long touch finders too. So dependable, you never had to worry about his form, he always seemed to be the same. To get 2 MoM in consecutive finals is some feat and I was proud to be at both Cardiff and Twix to see both.

Posted by: Yorkie Saint (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2020 18:34

Legend.

Posted by: Angus67 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2020 19:34

I hope he gets the warm reception he deserves. I didn't realise he was 35 years old.

Posted by: Saintalex (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2020 19:44

I donít think that is in doubt. We always cheer one of our own and Smyler is one of our own. Once a Saint always a Saint. Will have a lump in my throat tomorrow night. Welcome home legend

Posted by: JohnI (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2020 20:44

Definitely one of those players who you would welcome back under any circumstances and so glad to see that he is still enjoying his rugby.
Hoping his night back at the gardens isnít one for him to remember except for the very warm welcome he is sure to get on his return. Imagining that if he were to get substituted later in the game heíd be getting anindividual standing ovation on leaving the field.

Posted by: fleetg (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2020 21:26

I hope so. Substituted to a standing ovation 10 minutes from the end (as the game is done with Saints miles ahead) would make a perfect evening !

Posted by: Merlin-k (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2020 22:30

There are legends I have been lucky to see over the years - Terry Holmes and Gareth Davies playing for Cardiff as I grew up - and Smyler will be one of those for me. Always underrated because he wasnít flash, it took understanding the game to understand how much he did. A lynchpin. Respect to him.

Posted by: Aberavon Wizard (IP Logged)
Date: 24 January, 2020 09:17

Fleetg. 100%. !

Posted by: brancastersaint (IP Logged)
Date: 24 January, 2020 14:04

i'll be watching on the tv here in Norfolk, but I'm really looking forward to seeing him back "Home"
First saw him in a world cup warm up match at The Gardens, when he was still in the academy, and was immediately impressed with his distribution and game management.
as said above he saw off some star manes during his time at The Gardens

have a good but not great evening Smyler

COYS!!!!

Posted by: Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
Date: 24 January, 2020 14:35

Quote:
fleetg
I hope so. Substituted to a standing ovation 10 minutes from the end (as the game is done with Saints miles ahead) would make a perfect evening !

Full of yourself much

Posted by: MarchingIn (IP Logged)
Date: 24 January, 2020 16:00

Quote:
Exile_Dave
Quote:
fleetg

Full of yourself much

He said it would make a perfect evening, not that it was going to happen...

I agree, it would. Everyone wants their team well ahead with 10 to go & Smyler is the definition of a Saints legend. He is probably the most widely loved and respected Saint of the whole Mallinder era, if he is subbed I will certainly be taking to my feet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net