Re: Sarries and the Salary Cap Thread
Posted by: St. Andy (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 12:54

Quote:
tedge
Quote:
Saint Ted
You reap what you sow.
Why does it appear we have lost it recently....

Because people like yourself have killed the bored off with the tone of your messages and repeating the same message over and over again.

You may not intend to shout other users down but that is the perception and as I explained a couple of days ago, itís the perception that matters most.

There is a reason why you were banned by the previous admin, you just donít seem to get that how you post comes across as brash and arrogant, like the loud bloke in the pub who must be heard.

What you think is slow and sterile maybe what others enjoy, not everyone want to be in a constant battle just to be shot down.

As I said to your mate, donít like it donít post, youíll say you wonít post and then an hour later be back on again.

Unfortunately this is how it is now and you are one of the reasons itís now like this

+1 and I guarantee he will have the last word !

Any need for the last comment? I notice there is still no comment with regard to the ad hominem attack, which was actually abusive.

You will see on the covid 19 thread that I called WP out on his abrasive manner but I donít feel the need to complain, horses for courses.

I donít know if parts of the board or bored are slow or sterile or not, but you say thatís what some people like, so does that mean thatís what they get to the exclusion of everybody else? If a heading is of no interest to me I donít open or read it.

Posted by: Saint Ted (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 13:03

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by ad hominem attack?

Nothing has been reported to me and may have missed something, if somebody says or sees something abusive, if something needs to be done about it, it needs to be reported to be guaranteed to be removed or dealt with.

Your point on if a heading is no interest to you, you don't open it, that is a good way of looking at things, some people will just read every thread and even if it's as clear as day what the thread is about, they come into it and try and de-rail it, I probably used the wrong terms in describing what I mean, forgive that, I've spent the best part of 24 hours travelling and had three hours sleep, I'm not going to be as articulate as I could be.

Date: 18 March, 2020 13:33

Quote:
St. Andy

There really was no need to type all that because it is exactly what you have posted a number of times before and is getting as repetitive as the subject others are being accused of being repetitive about. What is more it completely misses my point. That being that now that everything is suspended there is going to be very little to talk about. It was deliberately not about not being able to mention Saracens again.

The fact that you mention on the day Saracens were punished there were 22 threads, which yes is too many an d 500 posts surely suggests that it is a matter of interest. The biggest story since professional rugby began. As for comparing it to other sites this site is much more active than many of the others. And comparing it with the retirement is comparing apples and oranges. The retirement post will be 40 posts saying what a great player, servant, captain he was and wishing him well for the future. All true by the way but hardly contentious. The Saracens story by comparison throws up loads of areas for debate,

I say this with great respect for what you do but I think perhaps you should be a little less interventionist. Although I did notice the post which was aimed at me which is clearly abusive and offered nothing to the argument has passed without comment, with WP doing the job and me later. I have no idea what emails you have received but I cannot be responsible if people are bored and think the Saracens affair is over, it isnít and if those people are content with Saints to be made mugs of going forward fine, Iím not. I have paid a 5 figure sum in season ticket money watching a competition which was bent and I was convinced it was bent for ages, maybe the bored people didnít care but I do. I wonder what they would rather post about. This site used to be a clique with loads of banal rubbish and in jokes which if you werenít a party to you were left out. Letís not go back to that.

It is obvious that we donít agree about the importance of the Saracens story and the fact it is far from over and it is about Saints and how they and everybody have been cheated for many years, continue to be cheated and seems may be cheated in the future.

Sorry missed this post...

The fact I am having to repeat it shows that the message isn't getting across.

At no point have we said don't discuss Sarries, it's just being contained to one thread when it comes to the salary cap, like the match day threads, it's a volatile area and easier to moderate when all in one place.

Subjects involving Sarries will come up, they may have nothing to do with the salary cap, they can and will be started on the main board as a new discussion.

Obviously, yes it's the biggest thing to happen to rugby, but it doesn't need to be all consuming, which is how it was getting and the reason this thread started.

So yes, feel free to continue the discussion, we are just requesting that it is kept in one place, after all, it's a saints message board. Nothing new has come up on the matter for weeks, so it's the same old stuff being discussed time and again, with the same responses.

We probably do actually agree on the importance of the Saracens issue, just looking at it in different ways, I'm not going to let it get to me as over that time I've had some bloody good times whilst always knowing that the playing field hasn't been level and not just from Sarries.

Is that right, probably not, a blind eye has been turned by all the clubs up until 2015(?) and probably by a lot of supporters as it was so wide spread, so I can only really focus any displeasure at Saracens for the last three years, when Saints had issues of their own anyway so I'm not going to let it take away any of the pleasure I've had in it.

Hopefully, it won't continue, I could write down the reasons I don't think it will continue but I shall save that for another time.

Date: 18 March, 2020 13:50

Iím not going to bang on because, I have read and understood. The ad hominem, sorry if I am telling you what you already know is an attack directly on the individual as opposed to disagreeing with their opinion. It is above by someone called samgibbo, who is a Saracens fan anyway. Donít worry about it I replied myself.

Date: 18 March, 2020 14:05

I did not know that so thanks for the explanation, as I say, some posts will get missed by us, granted not a lot happening at the minute so it's a lot easier! When you have a thread that is evolving quickly things get missed and also if, for example I'm replying to a message, anything that happens in between when I start it and when it gets posted, will more than likely be missed.

Please notify us of anything like that, as anyone who has done this in the past will testify, I will remove/edit it straight away.

I will ban the user mentioned above from posting on this site now it has been pointed out.

If something needs removing quickly, PM me, I get a notification and providing I'm not otherwise engaged it will be dealt with as quickly as possible.

Posted by: Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 19:43

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
I make a joke on Itoje thread, the same again by HappyWifeHappyLife who posts patronising nonsense ďthink about the impact of what youíre sayingĒ. What, about a joke that the thread has a cloaking device? He then deleted the comments to save his own face and moved the thread to here. He will delete this one too.

The first thing I've learnt in life as an older boy is to never react immediately to abusive comments, hence my not responding to the above comments from this poster immediately. The people that really know me will know that "patronising" is the last word they'd use to describe me.

The second thing I will never tolerate in my life is bullying or attempted psychological bullying, in what ever format it might take. I have seen far too much of it in my workplace & will stamp on it at every opportunity. I left the role I did because of it

I love this forum as I know all of you do & it's a great place for open discussion & tolerance.

We respect each others views...we might not agree...we challenge each other views...we might fall out...but we respect each other...we do not bully...we tolerate...we also take the mickey...& we have fun...we do not demand attention, try to get the last word, & when it's not acknowledged throw our toys out of the pram, say goodbye & then, because we don't get the attention we crave come back 31 minutes later

I have had 61 years on this planet - do not insult me, I might not agree with you, but we can chat politely.

This is a forum about our club...Saints. A club we all love & all want the best for. A club that we all want to rock up at FGs to see us winning every game, every league, & every trophy in the game. You all have a choice as to whether you post in this Forum or not.

Someone once warned me about 'Vampires'. Beware of Vampires. They look at you & think we'd love to be like you, but we can't so we'll suck the life out of you to be like us.

Don't let them...ever! And that is why we as Mods have tonight banned certain posters

We are Saints...we bleed Green Black & Gold

Posted by: Jamie_86 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 07:21

Well done mods.

I'm a confident and positive person but the constant berating and arrogance by a small number of posters on this board made me not want to contribute.

It amazes me how some people cannot get the balance right between reasonable debate and shouting someone down who doesn't agree with them.

Most can and I look forward to those people coming to the fore now.

Totally agree with your approach on this

Church's Stand - Block 20 - Row Q - Seat 700

Come and say hello!

Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 10:41

Well done mods.

Now for your next task could you find something rugby related we can enjoy, laugh and chat about?

Date: 19 March, 2020 10:48

Quote:
Dragonboy
Well done mods.
Now for your next task could you find something rugby related we can enjoy, laugh and chat about?

All over it, something will be up tomorrow, it might work it might not, if it doesn't I'll try something else!

Posted by: Stockers (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 11:15

Well done mods. There are a small number of posters whose self importance, arrogance and always wanting the last word are quite toxic, on here and, previously, on Come on you Saints, on the Offy Forum and associated Facebook sites and who ruin the experience for the majority.

More power to your elbow (bump)!

Date: 20 March, 2020 11:17

Oh, and that was 950 by the way!

Date: 21 March, 2020 14:37

I am posting this here because it is a comment about Saracens, but it relates to the threat of a strike thread below.

It is interesting the picture the Daily Mail chooses to use at the top of itís article. But more importantly, it is interesting that Saracens are mentioned as one of the clubs who have already cut wages by 25%, when I thought they were the club which boasts that they look after their players so much better than anybody else.

Posted by: Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
Date: 22 March, 2020 00:08

Quote:
Stockers
Well done mods. There are a small number of posters whose self importance, arrogance and always wanting the last word are quite toxic, on here and, previously, on Come on you Saints, on the Offy Forum and associated Facebook sites and who ruin the experience for the majority.
More power to your elbow (bump)!

Thanks Stockers - we appreciate that.

I said to Ted & Alex a couple of nights ago how much "nicer" the site appeared to be now & how many more different people were posting. Many that haven't posted for a while have now started again & that's great to see.

Ever the optimist Alex said he betted the people we'd banned had already registered under new names!!!

That may be the case & whilst there's little we can do to stop them, what we'd say is we'll monitor things as best as we can from our side, but never hesitate to pm us if you have a concern over any post as we'd rather not go back to that place again

Ed Griffiths to the rescue
Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2020 10:38

Ed Griffiths to the rescue

I don't doubt his business acumen, but I would question whether any of his previous rugby ventures could be classed as sustainable?

Perhaps his buddy Nige is looking for somewhere else to fritter his pennies*

Re: Ed Griffiths to the rescue
Date: 25 March, 2020 12:31

Well, with the RFU having pooped on the Championship clubs from a great height, you can't blame them for trying to find a better way forward.

Posted by: 195Rich (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2020 09:30

This is not intended to be cruel or to exhibit schardenfreude at all, it's justa s straightforward question for anyone who knows the answer. Saracens have cut the salaries of staff by 25% because of the virus. Will that assist them next season in meeting the financial requirements to return to The Premiership in 2021- 2022?

Posted by: JL904 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2020 01:24

No offence taken by this Sarrie Rich - and it's a valid, reasonable question.

In answer, it's hard to see how it won't help the club to meet the requirements. Remember also that several players are out of contract at the end of this season, and naturally social distancing/isolation probably means that negotiations are on hold. Nevertheless, I can see the possibility of one or two retirements which would reduce the wage bill further.

That said though, with things as they are - who knows if any professional sport (except for elite football) will even return in anything like the format we are used to.

Posted by: woodface (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2020 12:38

Quote:
JL904

That said though, with things as they are - who knows if any professional sport (except for elite football) will even return in anything like the format we are used to.

Iím not convinced elite football will retain any respect unless the massively overpaid so called stars do the right thing and volunteer a pay cut. Many clubs are furloughing their back room staff leaving taxpayers to top up their wages via government emergency handouts. Gordon Taylor and top players digging their heels in and refusing to negotiate a pay cut will alienate many right thinking supporters (there may be a few!). A suggestion in the press today which I would support would be for the government to hit the elite clubs with a windfall tax.

Apologies if this post ventures away from rugby topic and borders on the political but at least rugby can hold its head up in this respect - in my view of course.

Posted by: shendy (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2020 14:28

Quote:
woodface
Quote:
JL904

Iím not convinced elite football will retain any respect unless the massively overpaid so called stars do the right thing and volunteer a pay cut. Many clubs are furloughing their back room staff leaving taxpayers to top up their wages via government emergency handouts. Gordon Taylor and top players digging their heels in and refusing to negotiate a pay cut will alienate many right thinking supporters (there may be a few!). A suggestion in the press today which I would support would be for the government to hit the elite clubs with a windfall tax.

Apologies if this post ventures away from rugby topic and borders on the political but at least rugby can hold its head up in this respect - in my view of course.

I did notice that Gregor Townsend is taking at 25% salary deferral, not a cut.

Posted by: shendy (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2020 07:54

OK, any interesting theories on how this will work?
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Sarries want anyone earning more than £75,000 a year to defer anything above that amount until the start of 2020-21.
They intend to repay any wages that are deferred over an 18-month period from the beginning of next season.

Next season is a bit of a moot point as they'll be in the Championship (we'll take it as read that no-one really knows whether they have to be under the cap for that season).
An 18 month period will take them into the 2021-22 season, and presumably that season's salary cap?

Current Page: 48 of 48
This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net