Retro Teams Up Bath v Saints ECC Final
Posted by: Marching On (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2020 09:16

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Re: Retro Teams Up Bath v Saints ECC Final
Posted by: 195Rich (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2020 09:45

Some team
10 of the starting 15 would walk into my Saints team playing tomorrow!
Ben Foden
George Pisi
Luther Burrell
George North
Alex Corbisiero
Mike Haywood
Samu Manoa
Courtney Lawes
Calum Clark
Sam Dickinson

Posted by: St Marcus (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2020 10:14

I'm not so sure I would have so many. In our current first choice back-row of Wood, Ludlam and T who would you drop to make way for Clark and Dickinson? I would have Corbs, Manoa, Haywood, North and Pisi (slightly ahead of Hutch/Proctor based on his form at the time versus their present form). Same goes for Foden, edges out Furbank currently.

As with picking dream teams difficult to compare across different teams in different scenarios...

It's definitely a pretty strong 23 though!

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2020 10:34

It's available now - here's the link

Saints v Bath Final 2014

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2020 12:35

Having watched this game it reminded me just how powerful that team was and how it gradually wore down the opposition. It did rely heavily on Myler's metronomic boot and I doubt Boydie would be very impressed with the style, effective though it was.

Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2020 15:36

I haven't watched this one yet but watching 'that' Tigers semi earlier in the week it is strange how memory works;

- I forgot how good Sam Dickinson was when he was fit and firing. Manoa by contrast had a really quiet game by his standards, did nothing wrong but we didn't get him into the game a lot - perhaps expectations were just so high at that point!
- I remembered the odd facepalm moments that G Pisi provided us with among all the great play - loved to rush out for a big hit and there are plenty that smashed the man but in that game there were a few ill advised rushes too.... I thought he was great but I think Hutch and Proctor are both better all round when they're fit and firing, hopefully the rest will do both some good, Proctor didn't get an off/pre season don't forget
- Tigers used to be good! Slightly tongue in cheek but Tom Youngs had a great game (albeit lucky not to be carded before the punch up), Tait outplayed Fodes on the day and was great to see Lo'go on the charge even if it was at us!

I'd definitely take Corbs, Dickinson would be useful as a bulkier alternative in the backrow albeit don't tink he'd displace T entirely. I think nearly any team would take Fodes on his form those couple of seasons albeit Furbank and indeed Mallinder could catch up. Other than that I'm not sure I'd change any others.

Posted by: Matthew (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2020 23:38

Quote:
LeicesterSaint
- I forgot how good Sam Dickinson was when he was fit and firing. Manoa by contrast had a really quiet game by his standards, did nothing wrong but we didn't get him into the game a lot - perhaps expectations were just so high at that point!

Possibly it's hindsight, but I seem to remember Manoa's best performances happening from 8 rather than from 4/5. Was always more comfortably with Day starting alongside Lawes at lock as well for the lineout expertise he brought (not to mention a funny ability to pop up on the wing in that distinctive red scrum cap!).

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net