Sarries and the salary cap thread part 2
Posted by: Saint Ted (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2020 09:26

The other thread seems to be broken so I've closed it, Shendy, can you please repost what you wrote, I did a bit of research but can't reply to it and can't remember exactly what you said/asked!

Re: Sarries and the salary cap thread part 2
Posted by: shendy (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2020 12:37

OK, any interesting theories on how this will work?
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Sarries want anyone earning more than £75,000 a year to defer anything above that amount until the start of 2020-21.
They intend to repay any wages that are deferred over an 18-month period from the beginning of next season.

Next season is a bit of a moot point as they'll be in the Championship (we'll take it as read that no-one really knows whether they have to be under the cap for that season).
An 18 month period will take them into the 2021-22 season, and presumably that season's salary cap?

Date: 16 April, 2020 13:41

Ah yes, now I recall.

So basically, none of this is official by the way, itís just putting pieces together from podcasts, reports, various contacts....

As I understand it, they arenít the only club doing it, after the initial all the clubs saying they are reducing wages by 25% some clubs have not made entirely public what they are doing.

If I recall correctly, we only found out about saints furlough of players and staff through the chron, not direct from the club, I could be wrong on that bit, Iíve not read everything

Several clubs are looking at deferred payments, which would go into next year.

Again, an understanding but nothing official, based on conversations Iíve had, some kind of agreement has been or is being put together to clarify that deffered payments wonít count towards next years cap, the amount deferred will need to be declared in this years cap.

This may or may not be 100% accurate as the people Iíve spoken to have been a bit vague when Iíve asked.

It gets a bit confusing between if players are taking a 25% reduction, a deferred payment or both.

Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2020 14:02

Personally, I think allowing clubs to defer some payments (already contracted ones) and allowing them to be paid outside the cap over the next season or two is sensible and PRL should be talking to the RPA about it now and making it happen.

Its all well and good asking players in the middle of their contract to take a short term hit but a retiring player for example could be in real trouble .

Posted by: Saintsby (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2020 12:35

Sorry to sound thick but does that mean (if agreed) that at the start of 20/21 season (whenever that may be) Players get their contracted and agreed salary's in full plus the deferred amount. So wouldn't that during the 18 month period break the salary cap in season 20/21and possibly
21/22? If so as its a Sarries proposal I smell a rat.

Posted by: shendy (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2020 12:56

Read Ted's post (which also says that Sarries are not the only side doing it), and it's also mentioned on the Bath board's discussion - if a salary is due in the 2019/20 season, it's accounted for in this season's cap, regardless of when any of it is paid.
Just the same as if it was being done to try and dodge this season's cap - promise 150k this year and 50k in the future, and all 200k count to this year's cap.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2020 12:29

Can understand why clubs might want to do that, but deferred should mean only in payment not anything else.

Should be controlled the same as any payment kicking in out of or beyond contract, otherwise all it does, imv, is cheats the cap.

Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2020 09:40

Sounds sensible to me rather than a way of cheating the cap, ensures players at the end of contracts don't miss out and clubs can do right by players as far as possible without knackering their salary cap calcs.

Posted by: JL904 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2020 22:35

As a Sarries fan, I'd certainly hope that any proposal for deferrment of wages has been cleared with, and sanctioned by the SC Manager - but it's hard to see how it wouldn't be allowed.

For SC purposes, a salary is averaged out over contract length, regardless of when the player actually receives the money - to prevent front/back-end loading of contracts, no ?

So, for example you sign a player for three years on £600K - does that not count as £200K/year towards the *club* total cap however much the player gets paid in any given season?

Had the season not been suspended, the issue would not arise - and I can easily foresee other clubs asking players to defer some salary before long if there's no imminent prospect of matches (and thus club income) resuming.

Given recent seasons revelations, rival fans' scepticism is understandable, but come on - this is simply the highest paid players agreeing to wait months for their contracted monies in order that the club cleaners, ground staff and others on £12-15or so/hour don't become another unemployment statistic. There's nothing sinister going on here.

Date: 23 April, 2020 08:02

To the best of my understanding that only applies for marquee players who then get moved into the salary cap to prevent front loading, for a regular player under the salary cap it would be pretty pointless as it would screw your cap if they were front loaded.

Posted by: Aberavon Wizard (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2020 09:08

Bearing in mind they have lost their principal sponsor and will be playing in the second tier, one wonders where the income will come from to pay these salaries. No doubt they will come up with some innovative strategies but I suppose Nigel Wray will come into the equation somewhere. Assuming that rugby starts again sometime before the end of the year, Ót will be fascinating to see what home gates they can attract remembering that Saints averaged in excess of eleven thousand when we were relegated.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2020 18:47

I think Rugby has to get a fair play scheme in place but that would be like turkeys voting for xmas...??

Posted by: St Saltaire (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2020 21:16

In this particular instance I do believe that Sarries are trying to keep the Club intact, including retaining the lower paid members of staff. It shows how low their reputation is when people are assuming that its yet another ploy to circumvent the salary cap.

Posted by: jimusjones (IP Logged)
Date: 07 June, 2020 20:23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net