The Unstoppable Big T
Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2020 11:04

Re: The Unstoppable Big T
Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2020 13:45

I'd be interested to know how quick Big T is.

I know his size makes him hard to stop but how much pace does he have.

I'd think North was quicker and not small so who would be harder to stop?

Posted by: shiversaint (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2020 18:23

Quote:
Saint Stokey
I'd think North was quicker and not small so who would be harder to stop?

Big T by some distance. Last season alone gave heaps of evidence to that effect.

I think I'm not the only one that sensed North being somewhat afraid of contact after his couple of injuries/head knocks. He just never had the same go forward.

Not that unusual for players after spells on the sidelines. Jon Clarke springs to mind - just wasn't the same.

Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 10:17

North was definitely faster and more agile but not in the same category size and power-wise. Big T has a huge stride so covers ground once he's up and running. It's hard to do a direct comparison as I'm sure North would have been more effective under Boyd - however Big T is likely a lot cheaper and around all season so very happy to have him, I just love watching him play even if there is the odd ill advised offload!

Posted by: Longers (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 11:09

I think the video served one purpose - to show us that he has but one weapon in his armoury.

I love to be obtuse, not deliberately I hasten to add (!) but I found the footage of Tom Collins' tries far more enjoyable.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 11:46

I would say he has at least 2 effective weapons - one his strength and finishing ability, the other his skill to off-load the ball, usually one handed from difficult situations. Collins provides an ideal contrast. They are both both a bit deficient defensively

Posted by: HRsaints fan (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 12:32

There is also the fact that what these video's don't show is how many times space is created for others simply because defences are so worried about being able to stop him. This is when his offloading skill comes to the fore - usually taking place with several blokes hanging off him.

I wasn't sure about him when we first took him on, especially as his time with Glasgow Warriors didn't seem to be a particularly happy one. I am very pleased to be proved wrong though.

Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 16:01

It would be interesting to see a collection of his assists and offloads, that's got to be as useful as the finishing ability. I think it says a lot how popular he is in the squad, part of that I'm sure is that they're just happy not to be facing him but I think the players appreciate the space he creates and go forward ball.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net