Kpoku staying at Sarries
Posted by: Saint Maul (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2020 15:05

Re: Kpoku staying at Sarries
Posted by: Ady32 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2020 16:38

Wasn’t that rumoured when Kruis announced he was going to japan ?

Incidentally, The Times has an article today about Kruis and others going to Japan; in which they summarise where Sarries “stars” will be playing next season......they list Isiekwe as a year loan with us!!! Did I miss something?

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2020 19:56

Quote:
Ady32
Incidentally, The Times has an article today about Kruis and others going to Japan; in which they summarise where Sarries “stars” will be playing next season......they list Isiekwe as a year loan with us!!! Did I miss something?

I doubt any of us are surprised about Kpoku. As for Isiekwe I think you are missing the same as all of us - official confirmation by either Sarries or Saints !

Posted by: Longers (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 11:07

Quote:
tedge
Quote:
Ady32

I doubt any of us are surprised about Kpoku. As for Isiekwe I think you are missing the same as all of us - official confirmation by either Sarries or Saints !

I'm not a fan of Isiekwe at all. Another show-pony as far as I am concerned. Good in a team. Nothing special on his own.
I'm no fan of loan deals with Saracens. Unless we are in dire straights, the only ones who benefit are Saracens, and I simply have no interest in helping them.
Earlier in the season, I did think Kpoku was an interesting player to watch, but having seen how both Moon and Coles developed when given their chances, I'm happy with what we've got.
And lastly but by no means least - I think we should be mindful of bringing anyone from Saracens into our squad. We are developing our own, very positive culture. I'm not sure how their culture would blend in!

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 11:50

Wouldn't necessarily agree that Saracens are the only ones to benefit. Loanee he may be but as a professional rugby player he could provide Saints with skills they don't presently have and I am sure he would give his all whilst here. Otherwise I share your view about loan players in general

Posted by: Jamie_86 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 11:58

Quote:
Longers
Quote:
tedge
Quote:
Ady32

I'm not a fan of Isiekwe at all. Another show-pony as far as I am concerned. Good in a team. Nothing special on his own.
I'm no fan of loan deals with Saracens. Unless we are in dire straights, the only ones who benefit are Saracens, and I simply have no interest in helping them.
Earlier in the season, I did think Kpoku was an interesting player to watch, but having seen how both Moon and Coles developed when given their chances, I'm happy with what we've got.
And lastly but by no means least - I think we should be mindful of bringing anyone from Saracens into our squad. We are developing our own, very positive culture. I'm not sure how their culture would blend in!

I think he's a top player from what I've seen. Extremely athletic and closer to the finished article than Moon or Coles. I understand your point about not wanting to help Saracens but if we have an opportunity to bring quality players into our squad who fit the mould the coaches are looking for then we absolutely should and I trust CBs judgment.

On their culture, it always looked to me as if they had a fantastic culture in their playing group. They work hard for each other and so many current and ex players talk very highly of their culture. Perhaps you're talking about their corporate culture in relation to salary cap breaches etc. Personally i don't think that's relevant to the attitude of the player and their influence on our group.

Church's Stand - Block 20 - Row Q - Seat 700

Come and say hello!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/05/2020 11:59 by Jamie_86.

Posted by: fleetg (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 13:59

I was under the impression Rugby was a team game Longers but I must have been mistaken !

Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 16:09

Quote:
Longers
I'm not a fan of Isiekwe at all. Another show-pony as far as I am concerned.

I almost wonder if you're thinking about the right player.
I could think of many ways to describe Isiekwe but "show-pony" wouldn't be one of them. He's the definition of a hard-working player with a huge engine. In many ways he's a similar, although for me more versatile, version of what you have in Ribbans.

I've no idea if you've signed him or not but if so I'd hope he'll be given more of a chance than your post suggests. He's a very good young player and I'm sure he'll be fully committed to whoever he plays for next.

Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 16:45

Quote:
Longers
Quote:
tedge
Quote:
Ady32

i'd disagree with most of the Isiekwe comments Longers In the nicest possible way.. Agree it benefits Sarries, but I would hope he would bring benefit to us otherwise Boyd wouldn't be interested. He's a big unit on the fringes of the England squad and will be busting a gut for us to get back in with England. Even if that's his primary aim we will still benefit. Kruis being out of the England picture opens a window for him and others in that position.

As for culture it would be very difficult for one individual to disrupt this and its a 2 way thing im sure he has seen or heard from the saints coaches an environment he wants to be involved in albeit for only the one season. There are plenty of 'whoopers & hollerers' in the Sarries team and I don't see Isiekwe as one of these he seems to go about his business in a quiet understated way. I think he will fit in just fine, these guys are professionals after all and Sarries will want to see him develop as a player too and not be 'Mr disruptive' kicking his heels on the sidelines for a season. who knows he may love it at the saints and end up here longer term

Agree with the Kpoku comments, Moon & Coles have stepped up significantly so I don't see this as a big miss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/05/2020 09:31 by Walks11.

Posted by: Longers (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 18:56

One thing I do like about the forum recently - people can disagree amicably, without sticking a broom handle where the sun don't shine!!

(Sm128)

Posted by: fleetg (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 22:17

Agree 100% with that Longers.

Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 27 May, 2020 09:34

Quote:
Longers
One thing I do like about the forum recently - people can disagree amicably, without sticking a broom handle where the sun don't shine!!
(Sm128)

as should it alway be Longers, while we may disagree from time to time i would hope with the odd exception we are all after the same thing, a successful team to support.. so respect always

Posted by: smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
Date: 27 May, 2020 16:06

I think we’re done with recruitment personally as I think Chris Boyd is happy to go with bringing youth through. Can’t see us bringing anyone else in.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 27 May, 2020 18:20

I think he is a dedent squad player, cant get in at Saracens but then theyve got 3 very very good internationals in front of him.
Other teams dont have that so hed be at least no 3 anywhere else.
Now that Kruis has gone, he might be that at Saracens but it is time he cemented a place unless the younger guy is now in front.

I don't think anyone should take him on loan though..
Maybe they are waiting to see if Itoje suddenly ups sticks as he doesnt fancy the championship...??

Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 27 May, 2020 18:52

With Lawes, Ribbans, Api, Moon and Coles, I don't see any need for a 3rd choice Championship level lock.

At least he'll have his weekends free to watch us in Europe. ***

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net