Current Page: 1 of 2
Jamie Gibson leaves
Posted by: Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 16:04

Re: Jamie Gibson leaves
Posted by: jimmies (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 16:10

Looks like we are at our budget limit....

Posted by: HerbieSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 16:27

Really sorry to see this - I hope he manages to find another club. He's been a great player for us.

I think there's going to be a lot of this over the next few days (see also the Brad Barritt news) as clubs look to cut costs, and we reach the 30 June date most contracts expire.

Posted by: HRsaints fan (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 16:29

I am not sure he is going to another club. The comments by Chris Boyd are rather strange, and imply that he is moving away from playing full-time rugby. I might be wrong, but I don't know how, if he goes to another club, he could be available to return "if we suffer a spate of injuries" ?

Posted by: Sir Hector (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 16:30

With budgets being squeezed across pro rugby, it sort of makes sense. Jamie is a bright bloke with options. Iím sure as much as heíd have liked to stay playing on a good wage, there comes a point where the numbers stop working, competition for places from younger squad members, the risk of injury (he had a long lay-off with his ankle) the challenges of turning 30 and swingeing salary reductions probably tip the balance. Interestingly, it seems the door has been left open for him to provide injury cover in the short term so heís not going to another club. Best of luck Jamie!

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 16:40

It's not easy to read between the lines of what both he and Chris Boyd said - possibly he was being lined up for another contract which has become a victim of enforced financial cuts. In any event imo he was an excellent signing and has given top value during his time here; he will be hard to replace.

Posted by: Saint Tim (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 16:40

Really quite strange

Posted by: Tidy (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 16:47

He stated a new deal was virtually done before Covid came

Posted by: HerbieSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 17:00

I think the "spate of injuries" comment is referring to the possibility of a short term deal this season should we suffer any injuries after the season resumes. He would essentially come back under the medical joker dispensation if we got a long-term injury to a back rower.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/06/2020 17:01 by HerbieSaint.

Posted by: andysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 17:11

Such a shame to see Jamie leave. A good player and has had some really good form for Saints. With his degree he seems to have a life outside of rugby prepared or preparing for so hopefully he wonít find himself short on something to do.

Heís still got something to offer in the Premiership and if thatís the way he wants to go I hope he finds himself a new deal soon.

Posted by: riverlodge (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 17:13

sad to see this
in our 'worst' season he was head and shoulders our best performer, and has never been anything but a huge fighter and highly professional
i'll not forget watching one of his first appearances for us (maybe first?) back up at Welford Rd where his ex 'mates' continually tried the treatment on him, he just kept getting back up each time and worked harder
good luck Jamie, you've been a true Saint

Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 17:13

Great shame and a great player IMO. Perhaps committing to the signing of Adendorff pre COVID and Jamie not quite signing a new deal has meant the cost cutting has cost Him a place.

Posted by: ramseysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 17:43

Sad to see him go, he has always given his all for the club.

Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 18:22

A brilliant player and one of Saints most consistent and effective for many seasons. An absolute pain to pay against which is probably one of the highest compliments you can get from the opposition. Good luck to him whatever he does next. Masterchef maybe? if not rugby?

Posted by: Fellocks (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 19:18

Seems strange to sign Isiekwe for a year and then not have the ability to renew the contract of player like Gibson with 150 starts or whatever the number is.

Posted by: Saint Ted (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 20:05

Reading the article and the statement from Jamie, it would very much look like a contract was on the table before Covid happened, for one reason or another that didnít make it over the line, could have been Jamie looking at options or trying to improve the offer, now because of reasons beyond either parties control, that offer clearly isnít there anymore.

People are quick to jump on the club (more so on Facebook than here) when players move on, but there are two parties involved in the negotiations, this should always be considered.

Posted by: andysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 20:11

Wasnít there talk of Jamie leaving a year ago only for there to be a re-signing at the last minute? A one year deal may have indicated that one or both parties were looking at other options in any event. I seem to recall that there was talk of a move to London Irish?

Posted by: PelerinStJames (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 20:18

Wonder if he is going to studying/trying for a Blue next year, hence the potential short term injury availability. Whatever he does, Good Luck Jamie.

Posted by: Saint Maul (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 22:42

I'm struggling to think of where I have felt more uncomfortable about the club's role in a player leaving. We signed Isiekwe on a year loan meaning we've had to get rid of Gibson who in Boyd's own words is a shining example of professionalism. Isiekwe's signing was questionable before this.

Very best wishes for the future to Jamie and his family. I really really hope with his brains he goes on to great things. To his great credit his leaving message is dignified and fond of his time with Saints.

Posted by: Sainttwist (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 22:52

With Gibson going, does that free up some much needed Salary for Isiekwe to sign permanently?

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net