The Ins and Outs
Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 18:28

The full list...

[lastwordonrugby.com]
*taken from the Leicester board.

Apart from Bristol, our recruitment has been pretty good with less leavers than others.

Re: The Ins and Outs
Posted by: Nickd57 (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 07:00

Interesting to see the extent to which 'Leaves' outnumber 'Joins.'
Sign of the times . . . .

Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 07:40

And so it should with the large reduction to the salary cap. I would be nervous about any team that has not cut the squad size who does not have any other reason to explain how they are now ready for the new cap limitations. We seem to have decided not to replace some big hitters and use some of that cash plus an agreed wage cut to get there. Other clubs wont have the luxury of some of the most expensive players retiring.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 08:10

Quote:
Duckonstilts
And so it should with the large reduction to the salary cap. I would be nervous about any team that has not cut the squad size who does not have any other reason to explain how they are now ready for the new cap limitations.

If you have a large proportion of the squad on existing (or renewed) contracts then the cap effectively went up for this coming year didn't it (as only 75% counts)? The pinch will be in 2 or 3 years.

[Actively seeking a new adoptee: until I'm assigned one I'm going for Joshua Matavesi]

Posted by: Awaywin (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 10:24

The jury will always be out on the recruitment until they return or not as it always is.

There is a lack of excitement for me with our recruitment, however, this seems to be a sign of the times. Only Bristol, Exeter, Gloucester and arguably Worcester with Kvesic have players that would excite me and seem like they would strengthen the first XV immediately.

Posted by: Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 10:35

A few more from Leicester here?
[www.bbc.co.uk]
Including Manu Tuilagi

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Posted by: Longers (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 10:59

Quote:
Awaywin
The jury will always be out on the recruitment until they return or not as it always is.
There is a lack of excitement for me with our recruitment, however, this seems to be a sign of the times. Only Bristol, Exeter, Gloucester and arguably Worcester with Kvesic have players that would excite me and seem like they would strengthen the first XV immediately.

Agreed - but -

with the exception of losing Gibson, which I do look upon as a big loss, I like the look of the squad.

Boyd has proved that he has an eye for the youngsters, and they have, generally, responded well. The squads of the clubs with large player turnover have got a significant hill to climb in terms of assimilation. We are twelve months ahead.

I don't think we need (? Mmmm) "named" players,although I would have bitten your hand off for Sinckler (or Genge for that matter) but we are a team, not a group of individuals and I trust that will make the difference.

Fingers crossed!

Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 11:59

I think the days of heavy recruiting of names are now in the past and whilst Sinckler and Genge are both mighty fine players, would we get value for money, with seemingly International calls taking precedence and potentially next season running into a clash with The Lions - if all goes forward.

We have Owen Franks so Sinckler would not be a realistic signing to have one sitting on the bench and from what I’ve read Genge seems to be “of strong opinions” so I would question if he would be a good fit for our squad, or a potential disruptive influence?

Manu anyone? IIRC his salary was quoted at £500k and he’s rejected a new contract which would have reduced it to £400k to preserve his contractual rights! Read into that what you will, but I also read somewhere this week that he’s played twice for Leicester this season so hardly good value, and of course a massive number of non playing staff are losing jobs there who could probably never dream of earning that sort of money in a lifetime.

Nope. I think we are entering an age when youth will rise to the fore. Silly money won’t be on the table assuming the Salary cap is properly policed even if clubs can find the money and smaller squads, with match day squads containing a greater percentage of academy players.

Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 16:00

I presume that we're up to the new Cap limit. If not, a phone call to Taufua may not be a bad idea seeing as he's going to be kicking his heels for a bit

Posted by: AlexC (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 17:03

Loyalties, injuries and cost aside ... looking at all the leavers from the prem this year, you could in theory build a pretty decent side.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net