Current Page: 1 of 2
Next Season
Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 12:26

Looking at next season, whenever it starts, with Saracens missing which sides do people think will be slogging it out at the top end of the league ? My money is on Exeter, still well ahead of the rest, Bristol, Bath, Sale and hopefully Saints all to be in contention. I would be less certain about any of the others.

Re: Next Season
Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 12:37

Exeter for sure. Us and Bristol next. Irish and Worcester at the bottom. Everyone else in the middle . But ask me 2 months in ;-)

Posted by: manxsaint (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 13:11

Wot? No Tiggers? [:wor kid:]

Posted by: Awaywin (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 13:28

Yes Tigers at the bottom!

Posted by: saint krige (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 16:59

Exeter, Bris/Sale/Saints/ top 4 I think.

Quins, Newcastle to struggle. Worcester & Irish to do OK.

Posted by: Aberavon Wizard (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 19:05

High time Exeter had a bad season !

Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 21:25

Bristol, Exeter, Sale .... Saints? in that order.

Saints have some fantastically gifted backs and decent forwards but I'm not sure you can match the other threes packs and the game tends to be won upfront. That said if you can use your football counterparts as inspiration and overcome Exeter when you play them then who knows?

Posted by: Neil-H (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 08:18

Bristol get a few injuries and things could be very different for them, their first XV look strong, but do not appear to have the strength in depth.

Posted by: smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 08:21

As ever International call ups will have the most dramatic effect. Ive always been nervous during that period and I will be again. I can see us suffering as has become the norm.

Posted by: Saint Maul (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 08:53

Quote:
OldMarovian
Saints have some fantastically gifted backs and decent forwards but I'm not sure you can match the other threes packs and the game tends to be won upfront. That said if you can use your football counterparts as inspiration and overcome Exeter when you play them then who knows?

I'd agree. Since the start of the season we've lost Hartley, Franks, Brussow and Gibson and brought in Auterac, Matavesi and Isiekwe. So we are v reliant on our youngsters stepping up. Our pack has struggled against bigger packs so we'll really need our backs to click when playing in Europe or against Exeter, Bristol and Sale.

With the remainder of 19-20 season and 20-21 virtually back to back the toll on the forwards in particular will be brutal.

We will be fun to watch and competitive. I'll be delighted and surprised in equal measure if we win the Premiership.

Date: 03 July, 2020 08:54

Quote:
Neil-H
Bristol get a few injuries and things could be very different for them, their first XV look strong, but do not appear to have the strength in depth.

I agree. Particularly with them having a new coaching team when the previous one brought so much success.

Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 11:25

Our Pack was getting better and better every week. We were not yet dominant but we had come a long way and mostly its the same bunch of players with another season under their belts. We wont see us win a push over try anytime soon but what we will see is good quick ball for the backs.

Posted by: Sir Hector (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 12:25

Squad depth and consistency of approach will be order of the day with the likely congested calendar in the next 12 months. Our youngsters are a year older and wiser and this should be evident on the pitch. Whilst we have the odd gap, we have competition for starting places in most positions so we should be able to mix, match and rotate better than any. Hopefully we have the edge in the top two inches too with spirit and attitude as well as experience and leadership on the pitch.

Posted by: Aberavon Wizard (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 12:41

Saints have to learn how to close games out and get over their apparent aversion to playing away at Exeter and Sale...........

Posted by: Peter_B (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 14:01

Quote:
Neil-H
. This is a comment from when Bristol first came up. It was disproved at the time and we have moved onwards and upwards since.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Date: 03 July, 2020 15:23

Quote:
Peter_B
Quote:
Neil-H
. This is a comment from when Bristol first came up. It was disproved at the time and we have moved onwards and upwards since.

Actually its a comment from my 2 season ticket holder Bristol mates

Posted by: Londonsaint (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 16:49

I think our pack will feel more heavyweight this season. Franks Jnr really didn't play much for us last year, and will have been getting used to systems - he should be firing now. Ribbans, who is key for us, had a lot of the season off. Isiekwe is a real physical specimen. And an extra year on Moon and Ludlam will count for a lot in terms of their physical development.

And then in the backs, think both Proctor and Mallinder will feel like new signings, given how little they've played this season to date.

Date: 04 July, 2020 16:24

Quote:
Londonsaint
I think our pack will feel more heavyweight this season. Franks Jnr really didn't play much for us last year, and will have been getting used to systems - he should be firing now. Ribbans, who is key for us, had a lot of the season off. Isiekwe is a real physical specimen. And an extra year on Moon and Ludlam will count for a lot in terms of their physical development.
And then in the backs, think both Proctor and Mallinder will feel like new signings, given how little they've played this season to date.

This makes me feel very positive! Nice post.

Date: 04 July, 2020 23:53

Id say Moon n Lewis are grown, u not gonna get more size from them, they wouldnt be picked in international squad if not fully developed and Lewis is a proven international level player.... n Moon at lock, you wouldnt risk him

However the likes of Cole, Tonks, etc the extra time may ha e helped them

Sadly lots of young talent missed opportunities of first team game time gone.

Just want our rugby back!!!

Posted by: Longers (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2020 11:00

Quote:
Neil-H
.........Id say Moon n Lewis are grown, u not gonna get more size from them............

Just remember that when Dallaglio damaged his ankle badly and had best part of twelve months out, he put on nearly half a stone in muscle mass, with no loss of speed.

Careful, focused training, over a "rest" period can do this.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net