Current Page: 1 of 4
Ringfencing (again)
Posted by: lilyg (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 16:45

Just saw this on Twitter: Promotion to Gallagher Premiership will cease from 2021-22 season until 2025 at the earliest, under proposals for The English Championship. A "promotion and relegation commission" chaired by an independent QC would decide on promotion thereafter. Story in @theipaper @iPaperSport

Re: Ringfencing (again)
Posted by: shendy (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 17:23

I assume this is the Ed Griffiths proposal for the Championship - it's been on the Sarries board for the last week.
[www.rugbynetwork.net]

Posted by: Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 17:26

I wonder what would happen if, say a team was found to have broken some rule and were deducted points thus relegated. Would it mean that a team could not be relegated for braking the rules?

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Posted by: Longers (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 18:11

I shall lose what little interest remains, if this is pushed through.

I am wholly against it, for no better reason than its negative impact on those clubs such as Bedford, Coventry and maybe Ealing (?) .

And anyway, given his history how on earth can anything he says be viewed in any positive light. He's spoilt goods!

Posted by: higgy365 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 18:57

I agree with Longers, fundamentally opposed to ring fencing but I fear it will become inevitable and shall come to pass some day sooner or later.

Posted by: Saint Tim (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 20:09

I think ring fencing should come in now and allow Saracens to stay in the lower league for 5 years.

Serves them right for devaluing the premiership!

Posted by: fleetg (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 22:38

Agree with Longers.

Posted by: Aberavon Wizard (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 08:46

I have little or no interest in anything that the likes of Griffiths and Wray have to say - damaged goods.

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 08:56

You have to credit the RFU with picking the right consultant to deliver a recommendation of what they want. I'm with Longers, also if the idea is so great, implement now and remove any suspicion of Saracens bias.

Posted by: Jamie_86 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 09:10

Clearly I'm going against the majority but I'm in favour.

Bedford, Ealing etc. don't have the infrastructure to be promoted anyway... so why does it matter. The proposal is that as soon as a club has developed the infrastructure to compete in the top flight, there will be an objective process to admit them.

It protects the clubs like London irish and Worcester who have been consistently going up and down, which is particularly important in the current financial climate.

I appreciate there are challenges around the competitive nature of games at the bottom end of the table with no relegation but I think there are more benefits than negatives to this move in the short to medium term.

I should add, I think in the long term, we should have relegation... but let's get to a point where there are more than 13 competitive teams before we do that.

Church's Stand - Block 20 - Row Q - Seat 700

Come and say hello!

Posted by: ajack (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 09:25

You would think that the fact that the best team in the country for a while now (operating legally) and the only club making a profit (prior to Covid) are the last team to join the premiership for the first time and as such make a very strong case for promotion and relegation.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 09:27

Quote:
Jamie_86
Clearly I'm going against the majority but I'm in favour.
Bedford, Ealing etc. don't have the infrastructure to be promoted anyway... so why does it matter. The proposal is that as soon as a club has developed the infrastructure to compete in the top flight, there will be an objective process to admit them.

It protects the clubs like London irish and Worcester who have been consistently going up and down, which is particularly important in the current financial climate.

I appreciate there are challenges around the competitive nature of games at the bottom end of the table with no relegation but I think there are more benefits than negatives to this move in the short to medium term.

I should add, I think in the long term, we should have relegation... but let's get to a point where there are more than 13 competitive teams before we do that.

+1

Posted by: Saint Ted (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 09:35

Iím with you Jamie

The league is pretty much ring fenced anyway and the current setup due to the difference between the premiership leads to a pretty boring championship, more often than not the relegated team is going to win the league and we end up with a few clubs yo-yoing between the leagues.

Why canít it be done for next season? Saracens are part of the 13 teams that are members of the PRL, so assuming they win the league, will take their place with the other 12 teams that are part of that group.

Nobody in the championship other than the relegated team meet the minimum premiership criteria, what happened to the last club that tried to meet the criteria? They are now starting agains an amateur club.

But what about Exeter, that was 10 years ago, things have changed now, the salary cap is double what it was then, other costs have inflated and the number of supporters going to games doesnít cover the costs to all but 2 or 3 clubs

The money issue is going to be even bigger for the next few seasons, take Coventry as an example of a championship club, have a look at how many players they have had to release this season.

Iíd put money on that had Saracens not been relegated this season as punishment then it would have been a case of Newcastle coming up and nobody going down.

The money just isnít there at the minute, ring fencing for a few seasons while the clubs get their houses in order makes financial sense, a bit of stability for a few seasons will do the world of good.

Also it opens up the championship and makes a more competitive league as the winner isnít a forgone conclusion, this may help the championship clubs actually grow a supporter base who watch consistently competitive matches

Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 09:41

Rather than complete ring fencing, why not just ring-fence the promoted team for a year giving them time to bed in, Settle into the finances and sort a squad able to compete.

Keep promotion and relegation for the remaining teams.

The whole changes to the Championship would be fine if it hadn't come from Griffiths. As mentioned above, this has all the signs of a move to benefit Sarries who are unlikely to have a long term interest in the lower leagues other than for their own self interest.

Posted by: plantpot (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 14:59

The other thing that you might of missed from the article is it also talks about scrapping academies, and youngster being at Championships clubs and 6 universities for at least one season and then having a draft to the premiership NFL style

Posted by: Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 18:18

I agree with Jamie's & Ted's comments. I just think it's a waste of time year on year for the club that was relegated the previous season coming straight back up again.

Posted by: batty (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 20:59

Having been season ticket holder for about 50 years l will not be paying over £500 a season to watch half if the games being meaningless. I shall pay a third of the price and watch Bedford or just watch local club rugby.

Posted by: Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 21:07

I would remain a season ticket holder, at the end of the day it is the elite level of rugby, you don't see many uncompetitive boring games in Super Rugby.
Saints are my team, I will always support them no matter what set up is adopted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/07/2020 21:09 by Brackleysaint.

Posted by: Saint Ted (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 21:14

Quote:
batty
Having been season ticket holder for about 50 years l will not be paying over £500 a season to watch half if the games being meaningless. I shall pay a third of the price and watch Bedford or just watch local club rugby.

This season is essentially the same as being ringfenced. Out of all the saints matches, where is the meaningless games?

The only meaningless games will be matches between two clubs that mathematically canít reach the Europe places.

132 matches in a regular season, over the last 3 seasons so 396 matches, would anyone like to take a punt on how many of those were meaningless....

**edited for some of the worst maths ever**

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/07/2020 21:22 by Saint Ted.

Posted by: batty (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 21:38

Explain how it will be.entertaining for the Saints pushing for top 4 playing London Irish 2nd from bottom blooding their youngster and the Saints putting 70- 100 points on them? Is that worth £50 + for the game. Saints can't reduce prices. Can you in all honesty see gates remaining the.same. It is only the.need for the TV money. The sensible thing was to call it a day at round 11 when every team had played each other. I understand why the season has to be played out but every season like this it was better in the amateur times .

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net