Dylan
Posted by: HerbieSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 20:52

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Dylan's consulting role he had with Saints (I believe he had been working with the hookers on throwing and scrum technique) had been curtailed due to COVID cost-cutting.

It seems to me that he is exactly the kind of person we need around the club more than ever right now - in his book he expressed his keenness on mentoring and leadership development, which sounds like something we could really do with right now! He didn't sound like he wanted to rush in to coaching but a part time mentoring role would be up his street, surely?

Re: Dylan
Posted by: andysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 20:54

Would love to see him back, I am sure he is sorely missed.

Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 21:17

Quote:
andysaint
Would love to see him back, I am sure he is sorely missed.

+1

Posted by: ajack (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 21:25

I assume it is down to money and probably not a decision taken lightly. On the other hand and pure speculation here maybe there is more to it than that and that has contributed to our squad being split. I really struggle to believe we have become this bad without something happening behind the scenes.

Posted by: Saintsby (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 21:58

ajack you are pushing on an open door mate QED

Posted by: chappers_saint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 22:31

Its difficult, he doesnt want a full time coach role but we miss him ike hell, clear to see that.

I do wonder if his leaving was sour which has resulted in Boyd possibly losing the dressing room. Would explain what we are seeing

Posted by: lilyg (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 07:09

ajack - I had this exact coversation a few days ago. It's happened a number of times before where something was going on behind the scenes that caused an issue on the pitch. Perfomances improved once 'it' had been resolved and the news was issued publically

Posted by: Aberavon Wizard (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 07:25

Bearing in mind Saints stuck with Dylan through thick and thin, is their any reason ( Covid aside ) why the Skipper cannot just make the short drive down to the Gardens and just be around when needed to talk to some of the younger players ?

Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 09:19

I'm sure money played a role - perhaps looks slightly unfair continuing to play an ex-player while asking everyone to take cuts and letting some go? That's just a devil's advocate thought.

It would make sense that there is some kind of issue floating around, perhaps the other young(ish) coaches felt threatened by the idea? Perhaps it was purely money that made the decision which would now look like a false economy to me. Perhaps Dylan himself just wanted or needed a break for a bit?

Either way we could definitely use his input on the set piece, improving there makes a bad team decent and means a good team can really push on. Equally we could do with more of his mindset around the club in general, see thread above! We're certainly playing like a team that isn't wholly focused for some reason.

If money is the sole issue can we crowdfund some wages for Dylan? Anyone run a car dealer, butcher, holiday company etc and want to chuck in some benefits for him?!

Posted by: Awaywin (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 10:47

Again I would question what balance we need in the coaching set up. Agree with the traits of Dylan and what he would bring but he isn't a coach, doesn't have experience of coaching. When we look at the coaching set up Vesty (young, some experience), Vass (ex-player, some experience), Dowson (ex-player, limited experience), Ferguson (some experience, little in Prem) and Boyd (huge experience, none in Prem).

The other way to look at it is the respect Dylan will have from the players who were his peers. I think an outside would be better with the current balance.

Posted by: Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 13:17

Losing the dressing room is a funny one, because ultimately, it's the players themselves that are losing out. Their careers are finite, so every season they play badly is another year they aren't going to win anything. This year especially, where there is British Lion and International selection on the horizon, it would be short sighted not to go out and play to their best. At the moment there are many more players playing themselves out of contention for any possible step up from club rugby than playing themselves into recognition.

Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 13:54

Perhaps that is part of the problem, I did wonder in the first few games post lockdown whether EJ sitting in the stands was causing a few players to either put extra pressure on themselves or overplay? It was some of the England 'fringe' players like Furbank, Mitchell and Ribbans that seemed to be trying to overplay in the first couple of games back?

But then surely that comes back again to coaching and leadership - a quiet word along the lines of 'just play your natural game and play for the team and then everyone looks good'.

Posted by: Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 19:30

If they canít handle the pressure of EJ watching then maybe professional international rugby isnít right for them. Perhaps guilty of over-playing but again that goes against their professionalism to stick to a game plan etc.

Posted by: PaulSaints (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 19:49

I'm interested how many have read Dylans autobiography and if thiose who have think it would be right for him or the club for him to be in the environment now?

I found it a hard read and whilst I admire his honesty in writing such a book he dosen't come across in a way that I feel it would be beneficial for him or the club to have his involvement right now. Maybe in the future? when both he and the club are in a better place.

Posted by: Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 20:39

In Dylan's book he praised Chris Boyd and his coaching structure and said it was similar to the England set up that Eddie created.

Posted by: Longers (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 09:24

Change is always painful.

Ask any change agent and the one thing they will tell you, is that the one thing you do not make, is friends.

We only have to look back at Woodward's reign as England coach to see how many players were jettisoned along the way. "Get rid of the sappers" was one catch phrase. Amongst many.

It is quite possible that the players - and the coaches - are struggling with what Boyd is trying to achieve.

And it might just be that Dylan, whilst publicly supportive, is not the answer Boyd is looking for?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net