Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Wales v England pt2
Posted by: Sara'sman
Date: 29/08/2019 16:30
Quote:
Garp285
Quote:
SarrieSaint
TT where will they use him then? My views are known but he has some issues as a centre too if Sarries are looking for him to defend at all (or even lead the defence)
For me, he is definitely behind Alex G and Liam W as a full back. At 13, apparently his preferred position he is probably ahead of Loz and Nick T, (or at least will be quite soon after our coaches get hold of him) but not by a huge amount. On the wing, he is definitely behind Liam W and possibly on a par with Sean Maitland. Assuming he will be away with England when applicable, I can see our back-line (not inluding half-backs) as:
11 - Sean/ED/Lewy
12 - Brad/Nick T/Loz
13 - ED/Loz/Nick T
14 - Liam /ED/Lewy
15 - Alex G/Liam/Matt G (or Max M??)
Personally, I think the money could have been better spent elsewhere, however, I am waiting (and hoping) to proved wrong - as I usually am!!

Whilst I share the opinion that Daly's lack of confidence under the high ball prevents him from being a top quality 15 I'd suggest he's better in both this respect and in tackling than Malins. We've been at the forefront in the development of the aerial/kicking game, a style that requires both good kickers and good chasers able to compete in the air (where Strettle and Ashton improved significantly whilst with us). Daly is an excellent kicker whether for distance, to compete or with grubbers and a good competitor in attack too (that England incident excepted).

I'd also suggest, respectfully I hope, that Garp's list (with repetitions) is the wrong way of considering our strength and needs. We need to factor in Maitland's gradual loss of pace, Lewington's difficulty in adapting to our style and to replace Strettle. For me we are better looking at:

Back3: Goode, Williams, Maitland, Daly (23), Lewington, Gallagher, Segun*
Centre: Barritt, Lozowski, Tompkins Taylor, Malins, Morris*, (Hakalo).

With Goode's ability to cover 10 I think he'll remain our big game backup there so our "Cup Final" squad would include those in bold above (part of the reason behind Malins' 1 year only extension?). Injuries, Internationals and rotation will ensure plenty of appearances for Lewington, Gallagher, Taylor and Malins, and ease the progression of Segun and Morris into the squad. They, along with those not listed (Crossdale, Obatoyinbo, Watson, Hallett) will also get chances in the Cup and A League.

Hopefully we'll see the likes of Taylor far more frequently in the coming season, though this will probably be balanced by Brad being rested more and both Tompkins and Lozowski needing greater recuperation. Finally, I'd suggest that Daly's flexibility is something that, as with Wyles, we will come to value. I think we'll see him gliding at 13 a good deal too. Welcome Elliot - I'm looking forward to watching you at AP.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net