Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Saracens relegated
Posted by: HoboAl
Date: 19/01/2020 09:18
Quote:
CharlieBravo
It still grates with me that the relegation of previous clubs who have been found guilty of financial mismanagement (London Welsh, Richmond, London Scottish, etc) is not mirrored in the treatment of Sarries - or of Yorkshire Carnegie either. Surely, if it's financial mismanagement the same treatment should be meted out to all who are found guilty?
There is such an absence of a clear statement of intent from Premiership Rugby. A line in the sand should be drawn and all who flout it should be met with the same punishment.
End of rant.

I can understand why it 'grates' on you but my reasoning is this (and you may not agree or like it). Alot of those clubs went bust through financial mismanagement and went into receivership, so where treated like a brand new club starting out - right down the tier system.

Carnegie went into a voluntary process which got round the rules (wrongly in my opinion and they should have been treated like the others). Basically they exploited a loophole that needs closing - like football did after Leicester.

Saracens are different because their financial mismanagement is overpayment of players - cheating gaining an unfair advantage on teams sticking to the rules. But they are still a going financial concerns. The effects of relegation could damage the club and I believe they do have sizeable debts so who knows what their future holds especially if Wray steps away.

I dont necessarilly agree with these judgements, but it is my take on why I think they have had a different punishment to others.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net